Is your ring feeling a little too tight on your finger or shoes too tight on your foot? Then you should consider knowing how to get rid of water retention.
It can be due to water or fluid retention known as edema in medical terms. This article is a goof for all those who are going through this medical condition. Here is what this article holds for you:
- What is water retention?
- Causes of water retention
- Symptoms of water retention
- Water retention treatment
- Home remedies for water retention
- 1 What is water retention?
- 2 Causes of water retention
- 3 Symptoms of water retention
- 4 Water retention treatment
- 5 Home remedies for water retention
- 5.1 1. Barley To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.2 2. Potassium-rich Foods To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.3 3. Cranberry Juice To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.4 4. Fennel Tea To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.5 5. Onion Juice To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.6 6. Apple Cider Vinegar To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.7 7. Dandelion tea To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.8 8. Garlic To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.9 9. Parsley To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 5.10 10. Aromatherapy To Get Rid Of Water Retention
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is water retention?
Formally called edema, water retention serves as a sign and symptom of various conditions like hormonal changes, kidney problems, heart conditions, excess sodium in diet, constipation, and dehydration. The swelling in water retention occurs due to accumulation of excess fluid in the body tissues.
It is the lymphatic system that drains out the fluid in the body while the waste products are eliminated via body tissues. Fluid retention happens when the body tissues are unable to drain out excess fluid. Water retention can take place in foot, hand, legs and other parts of the body.
Mostly, natural remedies for water retention can prove to be an effective treatment.
Causes of water retention
Wondering what causes fluid retention? Here is a list of causes of fluid retention:
- Standing for long periods of time
- Body reacts to hot weather and is unable to remove fluid from the tissues efficiently in summers.
- Burn injuries and sunburn retains skin fluid and swelling take place as a result.
- Hormones facilitate holding onto excess fluid during pregnancy.
- Hormones controlling menstrual cycle.
- High intake of salt.
- Allergic reaction.
- Certain medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or blood pressure medications.
- Side effects of oral contraceptive pills.
- Deficiency of vitamin B1 or protein.
- Medical problems like kidney problems, thyroid disorder, lung disease, liver disease, high blood pressure and heart problems.
- Venous insufficiency.
- Exposure to high altitudes.
- Lack of exercise
If the water retention is caused by reasons apart from medical conditions, then they can be treated using home remedies. Do consult your doctor first to know the underlying cause of fluid retention in the body before you go for home remedies.
Symptoms of water retention
Your shoes may rub or pinch, your ring may feel tight and your clothes may not fit you. All this is because the major sign and symptom of water retention is puffiness and swelling in the affected body parts. Other signs and symptoms of water retention are:
- Bloated tummy
- Weight gain
- Noticeable swelling in the legs, feet, ankle or other parts of the body.
- Increased pulse rate
- Increased blood pressure
- Aching and stiff joints
Water retention treatment
Treatment of water retention usually means treating the underlying cause of water retention. For instance, if the cause of fluid retention is an allergic reaction, then that can be treated with corticosteroids and antihistamines.
If water retention in the legs is due to liver disease or heart failure, then that can be treated by a diuretic such as Lasix. When the volume of urine increases, it means more fluid moves from the legs into the blood. Keeping a sodium restricted diet can also keep a check on fluid retention caused by liver disease or heart failure.
If water is because of blockage in fluid drainage, it can be treated by getting rid of the obstruction. A blood clot in the leg may treated by using blood thinners and the clot is gradually removed. Leg water retention is resolved as the fluid drainage is facilitated. In case, there is a tumor blocking the lymph flow or blood vessel, it can be removed or reduced in size by radiation, or surgery.
Home remedies for water retention
Here are 10 top effective home remedies for water retention:
1. Barley To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Want to reduce fluid retention? Try this remedy with barley which has been used in many European countries and even used today. Barley is actually a diuretic which increases the volume of urine and drains fluid from the swollen areas of the body and is also safe to use for pregnant women.
- Properly wash unpeeled barley.
- Take a quarter cup of barley and let it boil for 20 minutes.
- Strain it and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Stir well before drinking.
- Do it daily till you find relief from fluid retention.
- Take 3 tablespoons of barley in a cup and fill it with water.
- Let it remain immersed in water overnight.
- Strain the solution in the morning and drink.
- Again soak 3 tablespoons of barley in day time.
- Strain the solution and drink before sleeping.
- Repeat twice a week till you get rid of water retention.
2. Potassium-rich Foods To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Is lack of potassium the reason for your water retention, weight gain and edema? Then you need a potassium rich diet to fill in the gap. Potassium is needed for proper functioning of organs, tissues and cells. It serves as the main electrolyte that keeps a balance between water and sodium levels. It triggers the kidney to remove excess salt and waste from the body.
Taking a water retention diet consisting of potassium rich food is quite helpful. Some of the naturally potassium rich foods are avocados,banana, apples, blueberries, raspberries, raisins, blackberries, spinach, sunflower seeds, bell peppers, mushrooms, peaches, oranges, watercress and melons.
3. Cranberry Juice To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Cranberry juice helps to cure fluid retention as it serves as a natural diuretic. It is packed with calcium, magnesium, potassium and other rich minerals that play their role in keeping a balance in body fluid levels and putting a check on water retention.
- Drink a cup of unsweetened cranberry juice every day till you find relief.
- As an alternative you can even take cranberry pills.
4. Fennel Tea To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Fennel is an herb that contains a compound called anethole, which provides a variety of health benefits. It is a natural diuretic and it is also known for reducing systolic blood pressure. As a result, the body flushes out excess water and sodium through the kidneys and keeping a check on toxin in the body which facilitates proper digestion and relieves gas.
- Take a cup of hot water.
- Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Keep it covered for 10 minutes before straining it.
- Drink fennel tea thrice a day till you see positive results.
You can drink this tea by chewing on fennel seeds it helps to minimize water retention and facilitates digestion.
5. Onion Juice To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Onion juice acts as a great medicine for water retention owing to its blood cleansing, diuretic and detox qualities. It also keeps kidney stone from forming. It does have a vast array of medicinal benefits, but excessive intake can result in bad breath.
- Take four cups of water and add chopped onion to it.
- Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Throw in a pinch of salt.
- Allow the solution to cool before straining it.
- Drink the juice to treat fluid retention.
- Do this thrice a day till you find relief from water retention.
You can even add diuretic foods into your diet like celery, pineapple, cucumber, cabbage,water melon, banana and watercress.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Apple Cider is never going to leave the list of home remedies. Among all the other things it does, it also gets rid of water retention by restocking potassium in the body which helps to minimize sodium levels.
- In case you have water retention in legs and feet, take a bucket.
- Fill it with an equal ratio of warm water and apple cider vinegar.
- Immerse your feet in it for 10 minutes.
- It will help you get rid of water retention as well as foot odor.
- Take a glass of water and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Drink it two times a day daily.
- Drink till you notice improvement.
7. Dandelion tea To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Why dandelion? That’s because it is full of medicinal values that helps to treat heartburn, digestive and kidney issues along with being a diuretic blessed by nature. It stimulates the kidney to expel excess fluids, salt and toxins. It is also packed with manganese, magnesium, potassium and calcium that helps to maintain fluid balance preventing water retention along with treating menstrual bloating.
- Take a cup of hot water.
- Add a teaspoon of dried dandelion herb.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes before drinking.
- Drink thrice a day.
- As an alternative, you can even take dandelion supplements.
Note: Dandelion may result in allergic reaction in some people and can interact with over the counter drugs or other drugs like lithium. Talk to your doctor before you try this remedy.
8. Garlic To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Again Garlic also happens to be a natural diuretic helping to get rid of excess water and expelling toxins from the body. It is also great for losing weight as it facilitates breaking down of fat. You can definitely make this herb a part of your daily cooking by adding it to soups, salads and curries.
- The simplest method is to chew 2 to 3 garlic cloves in the morning and at night.
- Make sure you chew properly.
- Take fresh garlic and grind it to make a paste.
- Mix in some melted butter.
- You can use it as a spread on bread.
- You can even make garlic bread.
9. Parsley To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Parsley is yet another natural diuretic along with being full of calcium, B complex vitamins, iron and antioxidants. It aids in preventing the re-absorption of sodium and potassium that aids in getting rid of excess water from t body. Parsley is great for treating kidney stones and urinary tract infection as well, which is also associated with water retention.
- Take a handful of fresh parsley.
- Add it to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes before straining and drinking.
- Do this 5 to 6 times a day.
10. Aromatherapy To Get Rid Of Water Retention
Aromatherapy also reduces water retention by stimulating the lymphatic system and facilitating fluid drainage. If you regularly get aromatherapy done, it will not only keep water retention at bay, but also treat stress and other health issues.
- Take a water tub and add 20 drops each of geranium, juniper and cypress essential oil.
- Mix properly.
- Soak the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Do it 2 to 3 times a week.
By now you must have rid yourself of all the worries regarding how to get rid of water retention. Don’t forget to consult your doctor to find out the cause before you choose a treatment for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do slim people have chances of suffering from water retention as well?
Chances for suffering from water retention is higher when the body weight is more. The slimmer the person, lesser the chances for water retention. However, slim people can also suffer from water retention.
Do women suffer more from water retention than men?
Healthy women have more tendency of retaining water than healthy men due to hormonal fluctuations.
Can drinking pure water help to cure water retention?
No, it doesn’t. When you drink 2 liters of water, you will flush out 2 liters of water. What plays a role is its diuretic effect. Drinking pure water doesn’t fight water retention but is good though as it helps to produce large volumes of urine getting rid of excess water.
Does menopause have a role to play in water retention?
Yes, menopause does play a role in water retention as it occurs more often during menopause as compared to other stages in a women’s life.
Is water retention a serious problem?
Water retention may seem like a really serious problem to healthy people than it actually is. They start following diets and take medicines that helps to flush out more water.
What is the connection between hormonal activities and water retention?
When women go through menopause, the hormone called estrogen becomes deficient, which results in water retention. Other reasons of water retention can be lack of physical activity in elderly people. Moreover, capillary permeability increases as you age which increases the chances of edema.