High blood pressure has become so common that out of every 3 people, one person is suffering from high blood pressure. Another name for high blood pressure is hypertension which is a health problem that should not be ignored. Serious notice should be taken if your blood pressures seems to fluctuate because it can silently kill too which is why it is termed as a silent killer as well.
A person is suffering from high blood pressure if his blood pressure reading remains high for a certain time period. A reading of blood pressure is considered high if it is 140/90 mm Hg or above.
Some of the causes of high blood pressure are genetic factors, high salt intake, birth control pills, obesity, lack of aerobic exercise or any exercise, stress, excessive drinking, adrenal disease, kidney disease or pain relievers.
In hypertension, the heart has to put in extra work to pump blood in the entire body which is why it may lead to many cardiovascular diseases. High blood pressure can eventually lead to other serious health problems like stroke, heart attack, heart failure, metabolic syndrome, loss of vision, injury to brain or eyes and kidney disease. It is recommended to keep a constant check on your blood pressure readings.
Doctors often prescribe medication to such patients, but they can be controlled using natural remedies that can be made at home.
Here are the top 10 Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure.
Lemon is good for keeping your blood vessels pliable and soft. It prevents any kind of rigidity which keeps the blood pressure under control. Moreover, drinking lemon juice on a regular basis reduces chances of heart failure because of high content of vitamin C in it. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant which neutralizes any of the unhealthy effects caused by free radicals. This is how you can consume lemon to control blood pressure:
- Take a cup of warm water
- Squeeze juice of half a lemon in it.
- Drink this every morning on an empty stomach
Note: it will give you far better results if you don’t add any sugar or salt in it.
2. Watermelon Seeds
Cucurbocitrin is a compound that is present in watermelon seeds. It greatly helps in widening of blood capillaries. It is also good for improving the function of the kidney. This makes it really beneficial for lowering the blood pressure.
According to Florida State Pilot Study 2010, watermelon can be immensely helpful in reducing blood pressure because of its vasodilatory effect.Different ways in which water melon seed can be consumed are:
- Take one cup of boiled water and add 2 teaspoons of dried and gently crushed watermelon seeds to it. Strain the mixture. Consume 4 tablespoons at regular time intervals in a day.
- Take some dried watermelon and poppy seeds. Grind the seeds in equal quantity. Consume this mixture on an empty stomach in the morning and once in the evening.
- Grind some dry and roasted watermelon seed and grind it. Take 2 cups of water and add these seeds in it. Let it boil for up to 10 to 15 minutes.
A lot of studies clearly indicate that garlic is effective for reducing blood pressure. Whether it is cooked garlic or raw it helps to control blood pressure and also lower cholesterol levels. Garlic can do a lot more than simply adding flavor to your food and giving your mouth a bad odor. It helps the blood vessels to dilate and relax because of the production of nitric acid and Hydrogen Sulfide which in turn allows free blood flow. As a result, it greatly reduces blood pressure. Different ways in which garlic can be consumed to control blood pressure are:
- Eat either one or two garlic cloves that are crushed. They can be easily crushed using hands. Crushing garlic cloves produces a compound called hydrogen sulfide that facilitates the flow of blood, reduces pressure on the heart and removes gas. In case, eating raw garlic causes a burning sensation or is hard for you to eat, it can be eaten with a cup of milk.
- Take four teaspoons of water and add 5 or 7 drops of garlic juice in it. consume it 2 times in a day.
- You can simply add garlic to your regular recipes. If garlic flavor seems too strong, you can roast it initially.
Banana is rich in potassium which is greatly helpful in reducing the effect of sodium. It is an extremely advantageous fruit for people suffering from high blood pressure.
It is recommended to eat at least one or two bananas on a daily basis. With bananas, you can also try baked sweet potatoes, winter squash, cantaloupe, currants, orange juice, spinach, zucchini, dried apricots, and raisins.
Celery has been used in China to treat hypertension since a very long time. This herb has been used to give flavor to casseroles, stews, soups and other dishes. Celery seeds can be used for lowering high blood pressure, but the whole plant can be juiced for this purpose too. The main content present in celery that helps to bring down the blood pressure is phytochemical 3-N-Butylphthalide. Phthalides assist in relaxing the muscles around and in arterial walls. This makes up more space and facilitates blood flow. Furthermore, it lowers stress hormones that play its role in constricting blood vessels leading to high blood pressure. Celery also happens to be a diuretic which is also another reason why it greatly helps in lowering blood pressure.
Along with a glass of water, eat a few stalks of celery every day. If you want you can also eat celery on and off the entire day.
6. Coconut Water
A green and unripe coconut contains coconut water and is known for its natural benefits in raw form. Coconut water consists of magnesium and potassium. Both these minerals help the muscle to function normal and heart is also a giant muscle. Magnesium, vitamin C and potassium in coconut water lowers the systolic blood pressure (the force that takes place when the heart pumps blood away from it), according to a study published in West Indian Medical Journal in 2005.
It is recommended to keep an intake of 8 ounces of fresh organic coconut water once or twice every day. Morning is thought to be an ideal time if you are drinking once a day and if twice both morning and night works great.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is also a great remedy for lowering blood pressure as it allows blood to flow smoothly by keeping the platelets from forming clumps and preventing the blood from flowing smoothly.
Cayenne pepper can be added to vegetable or fruit salad or by sprinkling little in soup. It is only used it very little quantity because cayenne pepper is very spicy.
Note: this remedy is good for those people who are suffering from mild hypertension.
8. Onion Juice
- Combine one-half teaspoon of honey and onion juice. Mix well. Consume 2 times a day for about 1 to 2 weeks.
- If you can, eat one raw onion every day of a medium size.
Honey has really soothing and relaxing effect on the vessels of blood which helps in lowering high blood pressure. Different ways in which honey can be effectively consumed for hypertension are:
- Combine one teaspoon of ginger juice and honey. Add 2 teaspoons of cumin powder. Mix properly and consume it 2 times in a day.
- Take 2 teaspoons of honey every morning on an empty stomach.
- Mix an equal amount of honey and basil juice and take it every day on an empty stomach.
10. Fenugreek Seeds
Due to high dietary fiber and potassium content, fenugreek seeds are really efficient in reducing high blood pressure. Follow the following steps to utilize benefits from fenugreek seeds:
- Take some water and add 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds. Boil it for 2 minutes and strain it.
- Add these seeds in a blender and blend it to form a paste.
- It is recommended to consume this paste two times a day. It is advisable to take it once an empty stomach in the morning and once in the evening.
- Repeat this remedy for 2 to 3 months to get the desired improvement in the level of your blood pressure.
Besides the home remedies discussed, it is really important to go to a doctor for a regular check-up and follow doctor’s dietary and medical advice.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
19 Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea
Research has shown that things beneficial for the heart are usually good for the brain, as our brain needs active…
Understanding the Health Benefits of Rhinoplasty Surgery
In 2019, more than 200,000 American men and women chose to have rhinoplasty surgery. Commonly called a nose job, many…
15 Health Benefits Of Aloe Vera You Never Knew
Aloe Vera is more like a miracle plant where you see it growing in the harshest of situations you place…
20 Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has a strong aroma. This healthiest herb can be used as dried, powdered, fresh, juice, oil or pickle form….