Gas problem is faced by many and the medical term for it is dyspepsia. However, some people go through it a lot more than others. Too much gas makes a person uncomfortable and sometimes causes pain too.
Gas production is a part of the digestive process which very natural but who wants to pass gas in front of others? Save yourself from an embarrassing situation by using some of the remedies discussed below. Gas that is problematic is a serious issue. It is nothing to laugh about or take lightly.
There are a number of things that stimulate excessive gas in the stomach like eating spicy and gas-forming food, eating oily food, overeating, excessive drinking, too much stress, digestive disorders, not chewing your food thoroughly or some kind of bacterial infection. Some of the indications for stomach gas consist of lack of appetite, abdominal bloating, bad breath, https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003080.htm, burning sensation, flatulence, stomach pain, nausea and a coating on the tongue.
Apart from the counter gas relief remedies, there are many items that are easily found in the kitchen and they happen to be natural relievers of gas.
Let’s discuss top 10 simple and natural home remedies.
Cinnamon has stomach soothing qualities as a result of which formation of gas is prevented. It also contains antibacterial and antiviral qualities which helps in relieving many gastrointestinal problems including stomach gas.
- Take a cup of warm milk and add one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Mix it properly until it dissolves.
- If you want you can even add some honey.
- Cinnamon tea can be prepared by adding the cinnamon powder in boiling water.
- Consume it twice a day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Many medical journals will make you aware of the fact that gas is actually caused by lack of acid, not by an excess of it. This is where apple cider vinegar comes in to work wonders offering relief from indigestion as well as gas. Apple cider gives your stomach the much-needed acid.
- Take a glass of warm water and add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- You can also add one teaspoon of honey.
- Let the solution cool at room temperature before drinking.
Note: In case apple cider vinegar is not there, you can use regular vinegar as well.
Ginger adds spiciness as well as aroma in food along with its indigestion and gas relieving quality. Ginger in tea or as a food ingredient stimulates bile juices, gastric juices and saliva which have an important role to play in facilitating digestion. There are different ways in which ginger can be consumed to effectively cure gas problem such as:
- Take fennel, cardamom and ginger in equal quantity and mix them properly. Put in one teaspoon of this mixture and little asafetida in a cup of water. Consume it once or two times per day.
- The Gas formation can also be prevented by chewing on a fresh piece of ginger after having a meal. Adding little fresh or dried ginger to your food also works wonders.
- Combine any kind of base oil with few drops of ginger essential oil and gently massage your stomach with it.
- You can also combine a pinch of asafetida and some ginger juice and consume it.
- Ginger tea is highly beneficial to prevent gas formation in the stomach. Add one tablespoon of ground ginger in water and boil it for few minutes. It is recommended to consume this tea twice or thrice a day. Ginger tea is much more effective for gas problems than soda or coffee.
Combining butter milk with black salt and carom seeds works wonderfully as a herbal remedy. It relieves flatulence and gas. As compared to milk, butter milk is easier to digest and it consists of a higher amount of lactic acid. It will keep your stomach cool in hot summers and have great digestive benefits.
- Take a cup of butter milk and add 1 teaspoon of black salt and carom seeds.
- Mix thoroughly and consume it.
Note: if carom seeds are not available, celery seed can be used instead.
5. Baking Soda and Lemon
Baking soda is an antacid which is available really commonly and easily. On the other hand, lemon juice assists in finding relief from heartburn, belching, and nausea. It has a cleansing property that enhances digestion by making the body produce more bile juices. Usage of lemon and baking soda is very tradition and conventional home remedy to cure gas problem. Excess hydrochloric acid (HCl) is neutralized by the alkaline nature of soda producing water and salt. Some of the ways in which baking soda can be used are:
- Squeeze some juice of a fresh lemon and combine baking soda with it. Some fizzing will occur. After the fizzing, add a cup of water and a little more baking soda. Mix thoroughly so that it completely dissolves. Consume the solution slowly.
- Take a glass of water and add little baking soda to it. Drinking this solution on an empty stomach provides relief. This remedy provides relief from gas and indigestion instantly.
Garlic contains a pungent heating property which facilitates gastric fire offering relief from gas in stomach. You may not like the smell of garlic that remains in your mouth ,but it works wonders to stimulate the gastric system. 2 effective ways of consuming garlic are:
- Consumption of garlic in soup is really effective because hot water makes the process of absorption by the digestive system quicker. Usage of fresh garlic gives the best results.
- Take some water and add ground garlic in it for few minutes. Then sprinkle little cumin seeds and black pepper. Strain this solution and keep it outside to cool down at room temperature. Consuming this solution twice or thrice a day for few days will give good results.
Asafetida is a great digestive spice which is also called Hing. Its cultivation locations are mainly Pakistan, India, Iran and Afghanistan. It is not only effective against gas but also other digestive problems such as stomach ache, constipation and flatulence. Some of the ways asafetida can be good for treating gas are:
- Take a glass of warm water and sprinkle some asafetida. Stir well and consume it twice or thrice a day.
- Dip a rip banana in some asafetida and eat it. Eat it two times a day.
- Add a little water in asafetida to make a paste. Rub this paste gently on the stomach and let it dry for few minutes. Gas will subside soon.
One of the best ingredients for instant relief from gas and bloating is fennel. If you are going through a gas issue because of fatty and spicy food, intake of fennel seeds could be a good cure. Fennel seeds contain oil which controls flatulence and reduces nausea. Different forms in which fennel can be effective are:
- If the taste is bearable for you, chewing on fresh fennel leaves is effective.
- Take a pot of hot water and add some fennel seeds. Allow it to simmer for 4 to 7 minutes on low flame. Filter out the solutions and consume it.
- Combine mint leaves, cardamom, and fennel and add them in water. Let it boil to make a solution which readily treats stomach gas.
- Roast, grind and dry fennel seeds in order to make it into powder form. Consume half teaspoon of this powder every day with water.
The fresh scent of peppermint is such that it can easily soothe a churning stomach. Peppermint consists of anesthetic property which reduces nausea by calming down the stomach and is really effective for stomach gas. Different ways of treating gas problems with peppermint are as follows:
- For quick relief chewing peppermint leaves are helpful.
- Peppermint tea made out of fresh peppermint leaves is a really effective remedy. Take a cup of water and add fresh peppermint leaves and boil it. Add some honey after straining it. Consume this tea 2 to 3 times a day.
- Take one-half cup of cool water and put 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil and consume one to two times every day. The oil contains menthol giving a soothing effect.
Yet another very common kitchen spice is cardamom which helps to comfort and soothe the stomach when suffering from stomach gas. Cardamom contains volatile oil that assists in treating digestion issues including gas. Some of the ways in which cardamom can be effectively used to treat gas are:
- Take some roasted cardamom powder and add it to rice, lentils, or vegetables before starting to cook. This prevents gas.
- Cardamom tea is really beneficial to treat stomach gas. In order to prepare cardamom tea, take small slice of fresh ginger, one teaspoon of fennel and few pods of cardamom and let it boil in water for several minutes. Consume this tea when it is warm and take it several times every day to facilitate digestion.
- Chewing on whole pods of cardamom twice or thrice a day helps to prevent stomach gas.
If you suffer from stomach gas again, make use of these natural remedies.