Earache is a common problem but the pain and problem it brings along is uncomfortable and at times, unbearable. Most earaches occur due to fluid build up or ear infection in middle ear. Some other causes of such aches include too much wax in the ear, common cold, nasal blockage, increase in air pressure and others.
Earaches generally occur among the small children. The pain and discomfort of such an ache can be piercing and very sharp or aching and dull. Indeed, you can find relief if you start taking the natural treatments right from your kitchen.
Causes and reasons
There are in fact many causes of earaches. Apart from the common causes, other major causes include tonsillitis, teeth grinding, sinus infection and cavities. But most common infection is that of acute otitis media i.e. the middle ear infection as stated above. It is generally characterized by infected and swollen parts of middle ear. The severe pain associated with acute otitis media is basically caused by the fluid becoming trapped behind eardrum. The center part or middle of the ear is generally filled up with air however during mucus or fluid accumulation or cold, the ear gets infected by the bacteria that further results in serious ear pain.
Even the infections which affect the nerves can be the cause behind your earache. Long exposure to high sound or loud noise can cause whistling or buzzing in the ear that leads to a sort of temporary threshold shift that you notice as dullness in the hearing, which is generally reversible in a day’s time or so. There are indeed a number of causes or reasons behind earache and so the symptoms require immediate medical help and care. Some earaches are real pain in jaw, neck as well as the ear. But fortunately, there are a number of home remedies for earache available these days that can help to ward off the pain in the ear and make you feel comfortable.
Below are the top 10 home remedies for earache. Have a look at them and try in case of need.
1. Heating pad
Placing a heating pad on the ear can help a lot to cure or at least lessen the pain.
- Take hot water bottle and place it on the ear that is aching.
- The warmth of the bottle will give you relief from the earache and will even improve your blood circulation.
Using onions also help a great deal in saying goodbye to earache. You can extract the juice of some onions and use it in the ear. This juice helps to reduce the inflammation and also eliminates microbial function that causes redness, pain and itching.
- Grate onions and take out fine juice. Take a cotton ball or just 2-3 drops of the juice and drop it in the affected or aching ear twice or thrice a day.
3. Olive oil
Olive oil has the benefit to provide immediate relief from earaches. It functions as a great lubricant and also helps to get rid of the ear infections. Olive oil can even be useful in stopping the buzzing sensations caused in the ear.
- Put 3 to 4 drops of lukewarm oil in the ear canal.
- You can also dip cotton ball or bud in the lukewarm olive oil and put it in the ear for some time.
4. Tea tree oil
Using tea tree oil also helps a lot in easing out the pain caused in the ear.
- Pour a few drops of the tea tree oil in affected ear.
- Tea tree oil functions best when it comes to curing ear infections while at the same time eliminating pain caused due to the same.
It has very powerful anti inflammatory properties which can be useful incurring the ear infections. Ginger also serves as a great pain killer.
- You can extract the juice from the ginger and put few drops of the same in the paining ear.
- The juice helps a lot in relieving the pain as well as reduces inflammation.
- You can even mix 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Let both the ingredients mix well and then put this in the ear to get fast relief.
Salt is another natural and home remedy that comes of help when it comes to relieving the earache.
- Heat 4 to 5 tablespoons salt in a pan and stir till the time it becomes a bit brown. Place this heated salt in clean cloth to wrap it.
- Press this cloth towards affected ear for about 2 to 5 minutes regularly when required or till the pain and swelling subside.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps in lessening the pain in the ear.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with alcohol and put the solution in infected ear. Let the solution remain there for some time.
- This home remedy works great when repeated twice or thrice a day.
Peppermint oil as well as peppermint leaves are great to soothe the earache.
- Pour some drops of peppermint juice into affected ear or use the peppermint oil externally. Make sure that you do not put the oil directly in the ear.
- Put juice extracted from peppermint leaves in dropper and put some drops in the affected ear.
- Using a cotton bud or swab apply some drops of the oil externally around opening of the ear. Make sure that you avoid spilling of oil inside the ear. Or what you can do is to dilute peppermint oil with olive oil and then use it.
9. Garlic oil
There are various types of garlic oil available to soothe the earache. Some of these oils are made from eucalyptus and garlic that offer anti viral and anti bacterial punch. The solution should be stored in cool and dark location and used within a span of 2 weeks.
- Heat teaspoon minced garlic in 2 tablespoons sesame oil. Then cool this and filter oil. After this put two to three drops garlic oil in aching ear.
- Also the juice of some garlic cloves can be extracted to be put into ear which hurts.
10. Eucalyptus oil
Eucalyptus oil is good for draining the accumulated fluids from your ear.
- Put some drops of this oil in boiling water. Add teaspoon Vicks in it. Inhale the steam.
- Repeat the process till the pain reduces. This also reduces pressure while facilitating drainage of the accumulated fluids from affected ear.
Using these home remedies for earache, the condition can be improved or lessened to a great extent. Also in case you do not get much relief from these remedies, immediately consult a doctor.