- 1 What Are Tonsil Stones?
- 2 What Causes Tonsil Stones:
- 3 Symptoms Of Tonsil Stones:
- 4 Side Effects Of Tonsil Stones:
- 5 Diagnosis Of Tonsil Stones:
- 6 Tonsil Stones Treatment:
- 7 Tonsil Stones Treatment Options:
- 8 Tonsil Stone Removal Methods That Really Work:
- 9 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Tonsil Stones:
- 10 Treating Of Tonsil Stones With Medicines:
- 11 Can Tonsil Stones Be Prevented?
- 12 When To See A Doctor For Tonsil Stones?
What Are Tonsil Stones?
Scientifically speaking, the term given to tonsil stones is tonsilloliths. It is a condition in which calcium gets accumulated in a hard form. Besides calcium, remains of food, bacteria and mucus are also gathered to form a stone. Compounds of anaerobic Sulphur is also present in the collectiveness of stones.
Tonsil stones is a condition which isn’t anything to worry about. It may sound something serious and worrisome due to its symptoms, how they are formed and the treatments; but in reality there is nothing worrisome. The condition is gentle and has nothing serious in terms of connectivity to pathology. It doesn’t have a serious linkage to any other medical disease or condition. Average age in which tonsil stones may occur is 20 – 40. Children or old aged people are not prone to get this disease.
At times, dental care specialists or dentists find tiny stones in regular dental checkup. This small tonsil stone remains unnoticed and is found through x-rays in many cases. After a consensus it is concluded that the condition in which tonsil stones are investigated is an irregular dental condition rather than a medical problem which is recognizable. The problem of tonsil stones is usually when particles of food are left in the teeth and are not cleansed from throat and mouth.
What Causes Tonsil Stones:
Every medical condition or disease comes with the ways and reasons through which they are caused. Tonsil stones also have their own ways to build up and its formation. Tonsils have one main aim: to attract and trap particles from entering to your body through nothing but throat. Lymph fluid is also filtered through tonsils. The problem which is attached with tonsils is that they don’t have the potential to discriminate between harmful and useful particles. The filtration process depends on the liquid released by lymph. Main causes of tonsil stones are:
- Accumulation of materials. These particles can be in form of hardened calcium, food remains or fungi.
- Overcharged and excessive functioning of salivary glands is another cause of tonsil stones.
- Gathering of dead white blood cells or leukocytes may also become the cause of tonsil stones.
- Bacteria which goes to body through throat and mucus are some more causes of tonsil stones.
- Drips which falls under post-nasal category contributes in causing tonsil stones.
- Stress, anxiety and some environmental factors may become reasons of tonsil stones.
- Center of attention which causes tonsil stones is inactive bacteria which stays in the oral cavity. From this hollow spaces or cavity, structures are formed. This bacteria breed infection. This structure becomes impervious and becomes the focus of avoiding antibiotic treatment. The same structure grows and becomes calcified.
However, there isn’t any particular reason or cause of formation of tonsil stones. There is a need of additional and more profound studies and research to dig out the real big causes of tonsil stones.
Symptoms Of Tonsil Stones:
Many articles and study of tonsil stone have one thing in common, symptoms of tonsil stones are nothing in particular. Yes, it is correct that many a times tonsil stones don’t have a symptoms. However, the patients of this condition also negates opposite of it. They are of the opinion that there are few symptoms of tonsil stones. The foremost and biggest symptom is of chronic bad odor from mouth. Mostly, the sufferer isn’t able to indicate it but others are always feeling and sensing bad smell.
- Sore throat.
- Bad breath.
- Swollen glands from the front side of the neck.
- Problem in swallowing food.
- Accumulation of pus somewhere behind the place of tonsils.
- White debris.
- Pain in the ear.
- Runny Nose
Side Effects Of Tonsil Stones:
Tonsil stones are one of those medical conditions which comes with a set of side effects. Foremost is the bad smell which is medically known as halitosis. Other side effects vary from the size to size of stones. Some of those are:
- Side effect of tonsil stone may have swollen tonsils.
- Severe or unbearable ear pain in the ear.
- White spots appear as a side effect of tonsils.
- Problematic swallowing.
- Mouth tastes like a metal.
- Another side effect is the sensation of something present at the backside of the throat.
- Fits in which the person with tonsil stones only coughs.
These side effects aren’t risky or dangerous for your health.
Diagnosis Of Tonsil Stones:
Tonsilloliths is something which is not easy to diagnose until and until there are some clear and noticeable signs of its occurrence. To bring the solution to this problem, doctors have started sending their patients for either CT scans or X-rays. Possibilities of diagnosing tonsil stones remains open to anything and everything, it means that tonsil stones happens to occur accidentally.
However, there are situations in which stones are big enough to be felt. Doctors go for a complete scan and examine tonsil stones manually as well.
Tonsil Stones Treatment:
Authentic, correct and best treatment of any disease or medical condition is not possible without perfect diagnosis. Tonsil stones forms in different sizes. Some are as small as a pea and others are bigger than that. Therefore, treatment of tonsil stones depends on the size. Another factor which becomes important while treating these stones is the intensity of pain, discomfort and any type of harm it can bring to other connected parts of the dental structure.
Tonsil Stones Treatment Options:
There are few different sorts of treatments out of which you can choose one for yourself in accordance to the nature of the stones.
Many people use antibiotics to treat tonsil stones even when the risk of side effects is present and it is not the real solution to the problem. There are many who get effected though.
2. Gaggles with salted water:
Tonsils are glands which can have stones due to some factors, it brings discomfort which can be taken care by gaggling. To opt this method as a treatment, you need to warm water to the point where you can easy bear it. Add some salt in it and gaggle as many times as possible.
3. Removal of tonsil stones at home:
Some people know the trick of extricating tonsil stones with the help of swabs or picks. They don’t need any special place to treat it and do it at home fearlessly.
4. Removal through surgery:
The need of surgery occurs when the tonsil stone is very big in size and it causes pain. Doctor will use the numbing agent and take out the stone without giving any sort of pain. Usually, doctors don’t use general anesthesia for this purpose.
5. No treatment at all:
At times when the tonsil stone is very small and it doesn’t bring any harm in the form of pain or ache, it is better to let it dissolve by itself. There is nothing to worry about and in this case you don’t need any proper treatment.
Tonsil Stone Removal Methods That Really Work:
Tonsil stones are of various sizes. Smaller ones can be taken care at home, where you can extricate the small tiny portion of accumulated calcium or remains of food. Whereas, the bigger and stubborn ones are not meant to be removed at home. Here in this section of the article, you will get to know about removal of tonsil stones at home. Following the easy steps will help you to extract a tiny tonsil stone.
- Make sure that you have all the important materials to extract stone from the back side of the throat or tonsils in particular. Here is what you will need:
-Bobby pins which are sterilized.
-Any source through which you will get flash light.
- To locate the stone, you need to open your mouth wide and throw flash light.
- Stiffen the muscles of throat while saying Ahhh. Stick your tongue out. Act as if you are gaggling and hold your breath. This will push your tonsil stone forward which will make easy to be seen.
- Use bobby pins back side to scoop out the stone.
- You have to be extra careful while scooping out the stone as it may cause bleeding.
- Remain calm while scooping out the stone. Relax!
- When the extract is taken out bit by bit, you may need to drink water to thin out the thick substance.
- Take the help of paper towel to clean the area from where the stone is taken out.
- Last but not the least is to find the remaining and hidden stones. How would you do that is another thing to know? To find the hidden ones it is best to hold your neck under the jaw and place your clean index finger in the jaw towards the throat. If you feel some hard surface, try to dig it out, else you are good to go.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Tonsil Stones:
Home remedies act and functions as prevention’s as well as cure too many diseases and conditions which are linked to health. We have many home remedies for tonsil stones which not only cures but also helps in removal of stones from the back side of tonsil glands. Here are few of them:
1. Essential oils:
To remove tonsil stones some of the essential oils serves best. They have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agents which becomes handy for the purpose. Oils which help in extricating stones are: myrrh oil, lemongrass oil and thieves’ oil.
You should add a few drops of either of the mentioned oils on the tooth brush and brush your teeth with it.
2. Garlic clove:
Garlic has many benefits, it does not only is a good source of antibacterial agents but also is known for removing toxins. Chewing raw garlic will help you to get rid of tonsil stones.
If you can manage to take out stones with the help of your fingers then try it carefully. Too much of hardness on the stone may worsen the problem. You can use bobby pin for scooping it out. After it is scooped out, you must have water with salt in it to reduce the possibility of loosened stones.
4. Lemon juice:
Lemon juice has abundant supply of vitamin C and tonsil stones can be removed from it without any problem. Make a lemonade or just add lemon juice in a cup of water with some sugar. Gulp it down your throat. Swirl it before swallowing. Keeping the juice there for a minute will do wonders in removing stones.
5. Drinks with fizz:
Since fizzy drinks have something which functions like vinegar, it becomes a good way to get rid of tonsil stones easily.
Sweetened and organic yogurt brings down the level and intensity of tonsil stones. It is one of the best easiest and convenient home remedy for tonsil stones. Probiotic and natural yogurt will let the bacteria cleaned.
6. Apple cider vinegar:
Stones caused by tonsil glands at the back of throat can be removed by one easy home remedy which is linked to apple cider vinegar. What does vinegar’s do? They have the tendency to break tiny stones. However, apple cider vinegar is good with tonsil stones. You should not use vinegar directly. Instead, take a cup pf lukewarm water and dilute one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in it. Gaggle the water thrice in a day to get rid of tonsil stones at home.
Carrots have beta-carotene which helps eyes to get sharp and bright. It also is good for cutting stones and removing bacteria from the stoned area. Saliva is in flow when you eat veggies like carrots and celery. It also helps in getting rid of bacteria from your mouth.
Common cause of tonsil stones lies under the fact of bad hygiene and cleanliness in terms of dental care. Apple has that one agent in it which eliminates dirt from the mouth. Apples function like toothbrush, with those particles which have bristles. They help in cleaning the gums and teeth. When the oral health will be sound, the possibility of dirt will be less.
Since onions have potent anti-bacterial characteristics, it helps you get rid of tonsil stones. It also improves the dental health just like apples. If you want to remove tonsil stones in a week’s time you need to chew onion for three minutes, three to four times in a day. The symptom of tonsil stones is bad breath which can be removed from onions.
Treating Of Tonsil Stones With Medicines:
Tonsil stones can be treated through medicines. But how is the real question which needs to be answered. Well, the answer is simple. You need to have certain medicines which can reduce the pain and for infections which comes along with fever, antibiotics are the best treatment. Moreover, if there is a need of dental care, dentist will give you some mouthwashes. So in a nut shell, you may be treated by following:
- Pain killers.
- Mouth washes.
Can Tonsil Stones Be Prevented?
First question which arises in our minds is if tonsil stones are preventive or not. Take a relief because it can be prevented. How it is prevented is what falls next soon after we know that it is preventable. Well, it is only prevented through surgeries in the case of chronic tonsils or tonsillitis. Tonsillectomy is a process which is carried out to prevent tonsil stones. It is a surgery in which the patient is given general anesthesia and to remove tissues of tonsils. After the surgery, patients complain in swallowing anything down the throat and also have sore throat for some days.
When To See A Doctor For Tonsil Stones?
Seeing a doctor is only important when the pain persists and the size of the tonsil stones gets bigger every time you notice or feel it. Doctor will help you to suggest what method should be used to take care of the stones. He might ask you to get it removed through surgery and will also give you the details of the procedure. In the worst condition, you may feel something hanging out towards your neck. It is supposed to be checked by the professional person who belongs to the field of medicine. In short, if you see swelling which is not common or the pain is unbearable and you can’t manage it on your own then you must and should see a doctor.