Constipation is one of the most common digestive system condition. Everyone faces it at least once in life. This article is goof for all those who face constipation on a regular or occasional pattern. What this article holds? It comprises of following points:
- What is constipation?
- Types of constipation.
- Signs and symptoms of constipation.
- What are the causes of constipation?
- Diagnosis of constipation.
- Treatment and cure of constipation.
- Home remedies for constipation.
- When to see a doctor for constipation.
- What Is Constipation?
- Types Of Constipation:
- Signs And Symptoms Of Constipation:
- What Are The Causes Of Constipation?
- Diagnosis Of Constipation:
- Treatment And Cure Of Constipation:
- Home Remedies Of Constipation:
What Is Constipation?
Constipation occurs due to less bowel movements. Normally these bowel movement happens thrice in a week. If it takes longer time, the possibility of constipation arises. But how would you determine that you are constipated? Following are some keys which help in knowing so. If you have two or more of these which lasts for at least three months, then yes! You are constipated.
- Pain during movements related to bowel system.
- Stools get hardened.
- Bowel movements are not complete.
- Less than three bowel movements in seven days.
Constipation is something which can be cured through many ways. If it is not cured, it may inflict into other diseases. So, taking care and being vigilant is demand of the need to get rid of constipation.
Types Of Constipation:
Constipation is divided into two categories. First one is more causal type. Whereas, second one is related to chronic one. Third type is somewhat like first type. The only difference is it is visited on a regular basis. Therefore, it is important to know which type of constipation you fall into.
It is a condition which can occur anytime. Something which is not very painful or worrisome. Following are the signs of casual constipation:
- Bowel movements are less than thrice in a week.
- Hard stool.
- Pain in rectum.
- Colic pains.
This is relatively more painful and stressful than casual constipation. It can have following symptoms:
- Bleeding from rectum.
- Increased hemorrhoids.
- Colic pains.
- Incomplete evacuation from abdomen.
- Immobility and extreme pains.
This is a third type of constipation. In this category, constipation occurs on a regular basis. However, symptoms and signs for this type is almost same as casual one.
- Pain in abdomen.
- Colic pains.
- Problem in passing stool.
- Hard stool.
- Issues related to digestion.
- Lack of appetite.
These three types of constipation can be handled easily by taking treatment. Some of them are through medicines and others are associated to home remedies. It is better to start off with home remedies. If they make some change in constipation, duration becomes less or things gets better then home remedies can be relied upon. However, if nothing changes or some dangerous and risky symptoms appears, it is better to consult a doctor.
Signs And Symptoms Of Constipation:
Symptoms are signs. They are something which you can feel on your own. Conditions which you notice while being constipated are mentioned in this section of the article. If you have more than three signs then beware and start following doctor’s instructions. Home remedies are another way of treating this condition.
- It becomes hard to strain out undigested food remains.
- Little portion of stool.
- Stool is not soft. It is hard.
- Feel of not releasing everything out. Abdomen isn’t fully emptied.
- Abdominal pain.
- Muffled sound from tummy.
- Colic pains.
- Food doesn’t appeal.
- Bleeding from rectum because of putting strain.
What Are The Causes Of Constipation?
Causes of constipation are more linked with abdominal malfunctioning than the structure of abdomen. With following health conditions, you unconsciously invite constipation. Here is a list which will give clue in finding out the reasons.
- When water isn’t taken in appropriate amount.
- Only carbs are taken without any fiber in diet.
- Unscheduled or too much change in normal schedule of eating habits.
- Laziness, lethargic and immobility in a person.
- When you are stressed.
- Usage of anti-depressants or sleeping drugs.
- Too much intake of calcium.
- Colon cancer.
- IBS – irritable bowel syndrome.
Diagnosis Of Constipation:
Before getting treated, you have to be sure of the symptoms and signs. After that, you have to get it diagnosed by a professional. Tests and examinations which your doctor may advise are:
1. Blood tests
This is the first and foremost thing to start with. Doctor will run a blood lab test. If it shows deficiency of some nutrient, doctor will recommend some food items. He can also prescribe you some iron supplements. This indorsement depends on what your lab results show.
2. Physical examination
To be sure about the cause, doctor will do physical examination. He will do it in a number of ways. Firstly, he will simply look at it using sterilized gloves to check on hemorrhoid. He can also do intense examination by inserting medical tool to check out stage.
To check on the obstruction of colon, it is necessary to do colonoscopy. It is a perfect way to monitor situation, fissures and other things related to rectum and colon.
Treatment And Cure Of Constipation:
Constipation is something which can be cured and treated by medical as well as home remedies. In this section, you will find some basic prescribed medicines for the treatment. Most of them are approved by FDA (Food and Drug Administration).
This is a medicine which is prescribed by many doctors. It is FDA approved. Amitiza is usually prescribed to those who apparently don’t have a particular reason of constipation. When this stage gets chronic and pain is unbearable, Amitiza is taken.
This is consumed when constipation isn’t chronic. It is rather casual one which occurs timely. It functions to produce more water in abdomen. This results in more bowel movements. It also works as softener for stool.
It is widely used for casual constipation. It does wonders by making stool soft. This softening of stool makes it easy to pass. Another thing about Cephula is side effects. It can be the cause of diarrhea, colic pains, stomachache and abdominal cramps.
Linzess is suitable for over 17 year olds. It is used for more bowel movements. Linzess is a capsule and not syrup which is taken before breakfast. It is always taken in the morning.
It functions almost same as Miralax. Softens stool and works in producing more bowel movements. Another thing about GlycoLax is being called laxative under the category of osmotic-type.
Home Remedies Of Constipation:
The other way of treating constipation is through home remedies. It is said and believed by thousands of people that constipation can be cured through eating habits. Along with exercise, diet intake really matters. Here are some common ways to treat constipation.
First of all, you must be thinking what molasses is. It is a substance which is the final product of caramelized and organic sugar cane. Blackstrap of molasses can cure constipation.
- Take a cup of water in a saucepan.
- Bring it to boil.
- Add one tablespoon of blackstrap molasses.
- Strain this water in a cup.
- Drink it daily for three days to treat constipation.
P.S: It works well on both the types of constipation.
2. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt helps in preventing as well as treating constipation. But how is the question. Well, it has two main properties. Salt releases water which unstiffens stool. Secondly, it is rich in magnesium which brings more bowel movements. This is what is required to do:
- Take one teaspoon of Epsom salt.
- Add it in one glass of juice. It can vary depending on your choice.
- Stir, let it dissolve.
- Drink it up!
- Take another dose after 4 hours, only if there is no progress.
P.S: make sure to use only half teaspoon for children.
3. Prunes or Prune Juice
Prunes are rich in sorbitol and fiber which helps in treating constipation. Sorbitol is meant to relax and soften stool. However, too much of it can cause diarrhea.
- Wash some prunes.
- Have it raw.
- Take some prunes, wash and dry them.
- Remove their seeds.
- Put it in a blender and add some sweetener (sugar cane juice or organic sugar).
- Also add in one glass of water.
- The drink is ready to be consumed. Enjoy!
- Repetition will cure constipation quicker. So, have it once in a day.
P.S: too much intake can cause diarrhea.
4. Dandy Dandelions
Dandy dandelions are some kind of weed. It is also used as a laxative. It helps in treating constipation as it detoxifies toxins.
- Take few leafs of dandy dandelions.
- Warm a cup of water.
- Take it out in a mug.
- Let these leafs stay in the mug for several minutes.
- You can strain it into another mug if you want.
- Drink this tea at least three times in a day.
5. Olive Oil
It moistens and softens stool. Olive oil does miracles in constipation.
- Take a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Squeeze one or two drops of lemon.
- Take it in.
- Repeat it every day and make sure it is first thing in the morning.
Some veggies and fruits are rich in fiber. They work more like a sponge. That is why these food items are relied upon to help fix constipation issues. To do best, get quick response from these veggies and fruits, fix this salad. One whole bowl will be more than good for prevention and cure of constipation.
- Cut a carrot, half cucumber, some iceberg leafs, sweet corn, apples, berries of your choice, mangoes and whatever you like in a bowl.
- It is up to you how you cut them.
- Add two tablespoons of mayo and also squeeze half lemon.
- If you want to make it tastier, add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix it well.
- Egg is optional. You can add that too.
- Avoid beans because they may loosen your tummy and cause loose motions.
- Have it once in a day. Best is to consume 650-700 calories if you are on diet plan.
P.S: consult your dietitian if it is good for the diet plan you are following.
Probiotics can be taken in the form of supplements. We can also be benefitted by food which contains it. Mostly probiotics are found in:
- Raw foods.
- Whole foods.
- Fermented foods.
Some of each kind are:
- Homemade yogurt.
- Organic apple cider vinegar.
- Raw honey.
Points to remember:
- Raw food is not processed.
- Whole food is something you can pick from tree and eat.
- Fermented foods have probiotics by nature.
8. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seed is full of nutrients to take care of constipation. It has enough magnesium, copper, calcium, phosphorous and fiber. When it is taken first thing in the morning, it tends to pave way to a better and healthier digestive system.
- Take a pinch of sesame seed.
- Gulp it down your throat.
- Drink water over it if you want.
- Daily use and repetition will not only cure but also prevent you from constipation.
Coffee has some potential which can make bowel movements regular. It also makes it softer which flows well without any pain. Coffee lovers can rejoice with this one home remedy for constipation.
- Bring half cup of water and milk to boil in a separate saucepans.
- Take one heap teaspoon of coffee powder and add it in milk.
- Now add the boiling water in milk and use whisker to make froth.
- Enjoy it in the morning or evening.
Beans are rich in fiber which easily can lighten constipation. Once cooked properly, these beans can do wonders. Inappropriate usage of fiber can actually make anyone constipated. Here is a list of beans which you can have without any problem.
- Pinto beans.
- Lima beans.
- Kidney beans.
- Soy beans.
- Black beans.
- Navy beans.
You can consume them in the following way:
- Boil different kinds of beans which would serve one person.
- Add some lime, salt and pepper.
- Mix it well and have it thrice in a week.
P.S: if you are constipated, consume beans salad every day.
When To See A Doctor For Constipation?
Seeking doctor’s advice becomes mandatory when certain symptoms occur. Why it is necessary is simple. Constipation at times can lead to serious health issues which may be associated to colon cancer. You must see a doctor when:
- There isn’t any apparent reason for being constipated.
- Diet isn’t much of a help in reducing the number of constipation in a week or days.
- It substitutes into diarrhea.
- Weight loss becomes norm.
- You have history of colon cancer in family.
- Rectum prolapses.
- You have thyroid issue.
All in all, constipation is nothing to worry and can be treated in a number of ways. All what you need to do is to be observant in any sort of abnormal digestion activity.