It’s not easy to give up smoking if you are addicted to it. Keeping your resolution to quit smoking strong and get to know how to quit smoking.
Have you tried everything but nothing works? This probably means your resolution or motivation wasn’t strong enough and you got weak in the process.
To keep up that motivation, think about all the damage it does to your lungs plus many other diseases that stem from smoking. It doesn’t simply affect your health only in the long run. It starts deteriorating your health from the very first smoke.
Some of the reasons people begin smoking are media influences, to manage stressful situations, as a status symbol or simply peer pressure. Every cigarette will make your crave for nicotine even more than before and soon you are all into smoking.
It might cause lung cancer, irregular menstrual cycle, lower sperm count, cardiovascular diseases, blood pressure and many health issues. Cigarettes are full of nicotine and other harmful chemicals. It is up to you to save our precious health.
If you have the required determination, you can make quitting smoking possible no matter how much you smoke right now. You are initially going to go through withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, anxiety, lack of concentration and anger. No matter what, just stand strong in the face of withdrawal symptoms.
You can conquer your addiction by using things in your house rather than paying for expensive medicines. However, follow these remedies only after discussing with your doctor.
1. Green Tea
Green tea is among the most common herbal remedies that prove to be very effective for controlling your cravings once you decide to quit smoking. Green tea weighs heavy in antioxidants with six different catechins along with vitamin C, carotenoids, selenium and chromium. These elements crowd your system and suppress the urge to smoke.
- Take 2 cups of water and boil it.
- Add three teaspoons of green tea or two green tea bag.
- Strain the solution.
- Now it is ready to be enjoyed.
- Store this tea in a thermos.
- Sip this tea throughout the day to control cravings.
2. Cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper is one of the best remedies to quit smoking along with being very simple and easy to practice. Cayenne pepper works by desensitizing your respiratory system to all the addictive things like nicotine, tobacco and other chemical irritants. This in turn minimizes the craving for smoking to a great extent.
- The best way to consume cayenne pepper is by mixing a few pinches of cayenne pepper in a glass of water. Drink this water every day particularly when you feel the craving is strong.
- You can also have it in the form of tea or capsule to leave smoking.
Ginseng is known to prevent the release of dopamine which is the main component of nicotine. It is dopamine that makes you feel better after smoking and makes you addicted to it. It is thereby helpful in reducing the number of cravings you experience.
Along with reducing the number of cravings, it also helps to deal with withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, mood swings and poor concentration. It relieves the physical and emotional stress you are going through.
- Taking it in the morning is the best time. Simply add a spoonful of ginseng powder to your soup, oatmeal, cereal or juices and combat your cravings all day long.
- Chew on a little dried ginseng and swallow the juice.
- If you think this amount isn’t enough to fight your cravings, you can increase the dosage or have it more often.
Warning: You might be taking ginseng in your multivitamin. Check it out and see if you need to take more Ginseng. Patients of diabetes, schizophrenia, auto-immune disease and heart disease should NOT take ginseng.
One of the reasons that nicotine happens to be so addictive is that it lets the toxins seep into your system. Once they are out, you might not even feel any craving. You need to flush those toxins out of the body and what better detox can you think of than water! Water is a natural detoxifier which flushes out the toxins from your body.
When you are struggling to quit smoking, your body will begin to heal and detoxify. Water simply speeds up the process and copes with harmful effects of nicotine.
Did you know dehydration is linked to increased cravings? So make sure you drink plenty of water to keep yourself from backsliding.
5. St. John’s Wort
Struggling with withdrawal symptoms and feel like backsliding to smoking again? St. John’s wort is a medicinal herb primarily used for depression but it also proves to be useful for people striving to quit smoking. The withdrawal symptoms that smokers experience are similar to depression. It is characterized by increased anxiety, stress and moodiness. Nicotine helps with depression and so does this amazing herb.
St. John’s wort is accessible in the form of capsule, bulk and liquid. A study shows that you should be taking 450 mg capsule of St. John’s wort two times a day. It will greatly help you deal with withdrawal symptoms. Taking this herb along with smoking cessation counseling is a great idea.
Warning: This herb is not to be taken by nursing or pregnant women. It can interfere with certain medicines which is why it is highly recommended that you talk to your doctor before consuming this herb.
6. Herbal Cigarettes
You can take herbal cigarettes instead of the regular cigarettes to crush down you addiction. Smokers have a habit of reaching for a cigarette at particular times of the day and in specific situations.
Cigarette is mostly about comfort and familiarity for most smoker rather than nicotine. Herbal cigarettes contain 0% nicotine, barely any carcinogens and chemicals that are present in high amounts in regular cigarettes.
The major advantage of herbal cigarettes is that you don’t get hooked to them. They are not addictive. It comes in various flavors like lemongrass, licorice, corn silk, clover, mint and cinnamon. Make sure you use it only on a short term basis because it does contain some carcinogens. Using it for longer period can be harmful.
Oats are probably one of the oldest natural remedies to quit smoking. Green oats or wild oats in particular are believed to be effective. Oats aid in flushing out harmful toxins from the body and thereby detoxifying your body which is much needed when you quit smoking. It also minimizes the craving to a great extent. Green oats in particular bring about a sedative effect that is extremely useful for people struggling to stop smoking.
- You can take 300mg of green oat daily. It is easily available in the form of capsules. Do talk to your doctor about the dose.
- Take 2 cups of boiled water.
- Add a tablespoon of ground oats to it.
- Let it stay overnight.
- Boil it the next morning for 10 minutes.
- Have it after each meal.
When you are fighting toxins, your body becomes weak and requires strength to fight back. Smoking makes your body deficient in a variety of vital nutrients. You can fill up that gap by taking multivitamins particularly the ones containing vitamin A, C and E. it will heal your body by providing it with essential nutrients and expelling toxins.
Vitamin E helps to repair damaged cells whereas vitamin A repairs damaged mucus lining. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant that flushes out toxins. You can fill up your vitamin C store by drinking orange juice every day. They will help to ease out the withdrawal symptoms and help you cope with your cravings.
Vitamins will give your body the much-needed energy and strength to stand against addiction.
Valerian is considered among major sedative herbs. It used to help people with insomnia, stress, depression, irritability, restlessness and anxiety. This is the reason it is chosen for people trying to give up smoking. It acts as a sedative and a muscle relaxant and this calming effect helps to keep cravings at bay.
You can have access to this herb in the form of powder, tincture and capsule. Never take valerian without consulting with a doctor.
This herb is well known for providing support to people fighting with the effects of nicotine withdrawal and is present in various anti-smoking products. It will help you cope with withdrawal symptoms like irritation, excessive hunger, poor concentration and nausea.
It is the active ingredient in lobelia called lobeline which acts on the body just like nicotine. It has also been found that it elevates the levels of neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain just like regular cigarettes.
Start only by taking very small doses such as three to five drops. Increase the dose slowly. Lobelia can also be toxic which is why always take this herb under a professional herbalist or health practitioner.
Warning: People who suffer from high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease should NOT use this herb. Nursing and pregnant women along with children shouldn’t take lobelia.
Some useful suggestions!
Here are some useful tips to stop smoking:
- An ear massage can help you deal with cravings as the ear massage influences acupuncture points which minimizes the craving to smoke. You just have to massage your ears for two minutes.
- Try acupuncture as acupuncture utilize five acupuncture points on the ear to keep withdrawal symptoms at bay. It also detoxifies your body.
- Say no to caffeine and sugar as both cause acidity and increases withdrawal symptoms.
- Find out what triggers your cravings like going to a party, drinking wine or simply arguing with your spouse. Avoid those triggers.
- Make sure you sleep 5 to 8 hours a day.
- Many people smoke while they drink. You can simply switch to non-alcoholic drinks or drink where smoking is not even allowed.
- It can be really tempting when your family or friends are smoking around you. Talk to them and ask them not to smoke when you are around or simply hang out with non-smokers.
- Talk to your friends and family about your struggle and ask for their support by not offering you a cigarette or not smoking around you. Ask them to encourage you when not smoking gets tough.
- Reward yourself whenever you are successful at suppressing a craving. This way you can keep up that motivation level you need.
- Keep reminding yourself all the reasons that made you quit like the money you are saving, health benefits of quitting smoking, better self-esteem and improved appearance.
- Keep yourself well hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Add loads of fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Exercise on a regular basis to keep down stress and anxiety and allow yourself to relax more. You can even try meditation for the same purpose.
- If you have already tried to quit smoking and failed, think about taking professional help to stop smoking.
More than anything you need to remain committed no matter how many bumps come one the road to becoming a nonsmoker. If you slip back at times, be gentle to yourself and forgive yourself. Remember that quitting is a journey in itself. It doesn’t happen in a day. Stick back to your plan the very next day and try these natural ways to stop smoking.
Cover image: stockunlimited.com
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
15 Health Benefits Of Aloe Vera You Never Knew
Aloe Vera is more like a miracle plant where you see it growing in the harshest of situations you place…
20 Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has a strong aroma. This healthiest herb can be used as dried, powdered, fresh, juice, oil or pickle form….
15 Health Benefits Of Walking Barefoot On Grass
Sometimes it is very difficult to find time to connect oneself with the Earth when there is so much going…
15 Health Benefits Of Olive Oil You Never Knew
The most important issue while cooking and preparing meals is to determine what oil is supposed to be the healthiest…