Schizophrenia is a mental illness that makes it difficult for the patient to draw lines between real and the imaginary. Some of the symptoms that Schizophrenia patients undergo are incoherent speech, neglecting basic personal hygiene, thought disorders, disorganized behaviour, hallucinations, emotional flatness and delusion. While nobody knows what exactly causes schizophrenia, some known causes of this disease are environmental factors, prenatal viral infections, genetics, chemical imbalance in the brain and pregnancy.
The unusual behaviour of the person suffering from it does not only disrupt his normal life but also affects the life of people around him. If the loved ones and friends offer support and appropriate treatment the chronic illness can be managed and controlled. Schizophrenia most begins in early adulthood or late teens. People between the age 15 and 35 are normally inflicted by it. It is known to be more severe in men compared to women. The person suffering from this brain disorder is not able manage his emotions, think clearly or even relate to other people. He might talk in a confusing manner and tends to believe that people around him intend to cause him harm. The patient usually shuts himself from the outside world. Don’t confuse Schizophrenia with multiple personality disorder or split personality disorder as both are very different from each other but normally confused. Every patient shows different signs of the disease that may be unique to only him. While some suffer just one episode, others might go through several episodes.
Some natural home remedies can be very useful in minimizing many symptoms of schizophrenia. Here are top 10 home remedies for Schizophrenia that can help people suffering from this challenging brain disorder.
1. Ginkgo Biloba
Gingko Biloba is considered as a very effective home remedy used for treating different symptoms linked to schizophrenia. This miraculous herb not only improves the brain circulation and memory but also mental functioning of the brain. It is particularly very effective for curing chronic schizophrenia patients. Studies show that Gingko Biloba helps to stimulate the effectiveness of antipsychotics. It also protects from any kind of neural damage that antipsychotics cause.
- To prepare Gingko Biloba tea, boil powdered and dried herbs in one cup of water.
- Leave it on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Once it is boiled, strain the water.
- Consume this tea 3 times in a day. It increases the amount of oxygen going to the brain and helps to prevent fatigue, headaches and mood swings.
- Consume 360 mg of standardized extract of Ginkgo Biloba by dividing the dose among 16 weeks.
2. Asian Ginseng
Neuro-protective qualities of Asian ginseng and this herb’s role as a natural oxidant make it effective in protecting the brain. Among other brain disorders that this herb helps in treating, schizophrenia is one of them. It can be either consumed as a supplement or tea.
- To prepare herbal tea from ginseng herbs, take a glass of water and add dried Asian ginseng powder in it.
- Allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Now strain this solution and let cool before you consume it.
- Drink at least 2 cups of this herbal tea daily. It will take 4 to 6 months of regular tea drinking to attain its benefits.
3. Green Cardamom Seeds
The magical seeds of green cardamom are very effective for minimizing different signs and symptoms of schizophrenia. Green cardamom stands out to be an important spice used which making curries and gravies in India and Pakistan. Green cardamom seeds contain healing qualities which are good for the nervous system. One of the easiest ways to consume cardamom seeds is by drinking herbal green cardamom tea.
- To prepare herbal tea from cardamom, take a glass of water and add dried freshly crushed cardamom powder in it.
- Stir this powder well and allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Now strain this solution and add some sugar.
- Drink at least 2 cups of this warm herbal tea daily in order to minimize schizophrenia symptoms.
4. Cold Water Fish and Fish Oil
Patients of schizophrenia are known to have low levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their blood. Certain fatty acids tend to reduce in blood. Fish oil is rich in EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and assists in minimizing symptoms of schizophrenia. Omega-3 is known to prevent psychotic disorders.
Similarly cold water fishes contain high amount of Omega 3 and 6. As a result, they are extremely helpful in boosting the function of brain and its health. Regular consumption of cold water fishes minimizes symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Consume 1 to 3 grams of fish oil supplements every day. In case you take medications for heart disease, diabetes or any kind of blood thinning medication, take advice from your doctor regarding dosage.
- Add Cold water fishes like sardine, trout, Koi, goldfish, salmon, and mackerel to your every day diet.
5. Licorice Powder
Licorice consists of minerals and compounds that aid in controlling and managing condition of the brain. Licorice is a powerful herb that assists in keeping a check on tension and anxiety. This is why it is extremely helpful in minimizing symptoms of Schizophrenia.
- Take 200ml of drinking water and add 2 teaspoons of licorice powder.
- Allow the mixture to boil till it becomes half its original quantity.
- Strain the solution and drink it in a lukewarm state. Consume it first thing in the morning.
- In order to make sure that the herb is properly digested in the blood stream, have your breakfast after an hour.
Among the best effective natural home remedies, eating carrots is one of them. It helps to combat schizophrenia as it contains a very powerful ingredient known as Niacin. Niacin in carrots assists in treating different brain disorders.
- You can consume carrot by adding it to a salad and eat it with dinner or lunch on a daily basis.
- Eating one or 2 carrots a day will greatly help schizophrenia patient to reduce its symptoms.
- Another way is to make carrot juice daily. All you have to do is take 3 medium sized carrots and some spinach leave.
- Blend them with some water in a blender.
- Drink this juice daily.
Other foods that contain niacin are fish, whole wheat products and potatoes.
Chamomile contains soothing and relaxing qualities in addition to crucial minerals and compounds that are highly effective for the nervous system and brain. Not only does it aid in encouraging restful sleep but also enhances mood of a schizophrenia patient.
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Once it boils add a teaspoon of chamomile powder to it and stir well.
- Let the powder thoroughly dissolve in water.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, strain the water.
- To minimize the symptoms of schizophrenia, consume this tea 2 times a day.
Studies have shown that exercise can have a really good effect on patients with schizophrenia as improves their cardiovascular fitness and mental health. Physical exercise has positive effects on certain Neuroprotective brain proteins.
45 minutes of a not-so-vigorous physical activity on a daily basis can prove to be healthy for schizophrenia patients both mentally and physically. It will also help them keep their anxiety, depression and mood swings at bay.
Owing to Yoga’s role in producing neurobiological changes, enhancing cognition and minimizing psychotic symptoms, it is also regarded as something really helpful and beneficial for people suffering from schizophrenia.
9. St John’s Wort
St John’s Wort is another effective home remedy. It aids in minimizing stress, anxiety, excitement that are a part of schizophrenia symptoms. It not only has a restorative tonic effect but also a gentle calming effect on nervous system. It is also good for depression, mood swings, anxiety, nervousness and fear along with its healing qualities.
- Take a handful of St. John’s Wort and blend it in blender by adding little water.
- Consume a tablespoon of this mixture daily to keep a check on symptoms linked with Schizophrenia.
Note: St. John’s Wort may interact with new antipsychotic drugs that belong to Clozapine family. Consult your doctor before you take this herb.
Antioxidants such as Vitamin E, A and C play a vital role in minimizing symptoms related to schizophrenia. Vitamin C is also known as an antis-stress vitamin. Antioxidants play a role of neutralizing free radical and minimizing oxidative stress as a result. Studies show that oxidative research might have some role to play in brain’s development. Antioxidant rich food like gooseberry are immensely helpful in enhancing the immune system which then provides the body with enough energy to combat mental disorders like Schizophrenia. Goose berry is rich in both Vitamin C and Niacin Amide.
- Take vitamin supplements and multivitamins by consulting your doctor.
- Add antioxidant rich food to your diet like strawberries, oranges, lemons, blue berries, gooseberry, carrots and spinach.
- You can also extract juice of these antioxidant rich foods and consume it 2 times a day for few months.