Headaches are common and everyone goes through tough times with it. But what may become the cause and how it can be treatment are of major concern. According to the research and studies, there are many types of headaches. They can be a simple one with some particular affiliation to other conditions or even diseases. Best example can be headache during, before or after menstrual cycle. Other types of headaches may occur due to tension, stress, depression, irregular bowel movements, migraine, due to lack of sleep and even because of insufficient nutrients in one form or another.
Now the question arises how to treat them and what may help in preventing them. Like many says, it is about your diet and lifestyle. However, it is not only dependent on it. There can be anything which may trigger headache. For this, you have to dig out causes and record them in a diary. This will not only help you to know the causes but also would help in treating them.
Here, in this article we have gathered some common ways through which you can get rid of headache. Some of them are used in a desi house as a ritual to kill headache of any sort. Ginger, cold compression, peppermint oil and cloves are some home remedies on which you can rely.
Ginger is effective for headaches. How? It is because it lessens the intensity by working on the clogged, inflamed and sore blood vessels of the head. You can benefit yourself from ginger by a number of ways. It can be through ginger tea, ginger drink or even a homemade mixture. Here, you will find all three ways to get yourself cured by one herb – ginger.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add in one inch of ginger.
- Let it sit there for five minutes.
- Strain it into a cup.
- Drink! Enjoy! Rejoice yourself once headache vanishes.
- Take a warm cup of water.
- Pour half tea spoon of ginger paste.
- Add in some sugar.
- Gulp it all.
- Take two tablespoon of honey in a small container or bowl.
- Add some extract of ginger juice.
- Also include a pinch of salt and few drops of lemon to make it a bit more tastier.
- Have a small portion of it with the help of spoon or your finger.
Repetition will help you get rid of headache faster. So, have ginger tea and drink twice in a day. Whereas, taking ginger mixture can go on to four to five times till the mixture finishes.
Headaches can turn into something really bad when they aren’t treated in first place. Oil extracted from basil can be beneficial for headaches of many kinds. This oil contains aroma which helps in reducing headaches which are more associated to tension and stress. It also assists in dealing with stiffened muscles.
- Boil a cup of water and add few leafs of basil in it.
- Let it simmer and absorb all the helpful agents in these leafs.
- Strain into a mug or cup.
- You can also add some sugar or honey to make it tastier.
- Now chew on those leafs before throwing them away.
- Repeat it daily. Once in the morning and second time before going to bed.
3. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has a string yet comforting aroma which helps in reducing headache. It helps you in breathing, works on headache of any kind and safeguards you from chronic headaches. The best thing about this oil is its use. You can use it in various forms; inhale it, simply apply without the hassle of diluting and apply it with a cotton ball.
- Fill the saucepan and out it to boil.
- Once water is boiling add 3 drops of lavender oil.
- Bring it near a safe place, it could be your dining table or even the slab of kitchenette.
- Cover your head, neck and a portion of back with a clean towel.
- Inhale aroma for 5 minutes.
- Repeat it twice in a day to get speedy recovery.
This herb has some properties which helps in reducing headaches. There are quite a few ways to take advantage from its oil. What you can do is to follow the steps below:
- Pour few drops of rosemary oil on your index finger.
- Apply it on sides of your head, aka temples.
- Rub it gently for about 4 to 5 minutes. Don’t go hard on temples.
- Repetition of it will have more chances of treating it within a day.
P.S: Avoid using it if you are a patient of hypertension or epilepsy.
5. Ice Pack
Cold compression functions miraculously in headaches. How? Well, you must have heard about causes. Inflammation is one of them, right? Cold compression helps in reducing those inflammations. It also has properties to numb the area where it applied.
- Dip clean cloth in the tub of ice.
- Wring it.
- Apply it directly at the back of neck which is also called nape.
- Let it rest there till its cold effect wears off.
- Take a frozen bag of peas and place it on your head.
- Let it remain there for 3 minutes.
- Don’t place it there for more than 4 to 5 minutes.
- It can give you reverse effect where headache can increase.
6. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is an excellent home remedy for headache. This oil has smell which is not only refreshing but also has some worthy agents. Those agents help in dilating blood flow and has some vasoconstricting qualities.
- Drop some peppermint oil (around 3 drops) in half teaspoon of olive or almond oil.
- Massage it on your forehead focusing on temples.
- You can also take steam of this oil.
- Repeat it once in a day for ten days or till headache persists.
Are you looking for some fruit which has a positive result in eliminating headache? It is a call to utilize and experiment with apple cider vinegar or raw apples. Why? Because this fruit has potential to balance out acids and alkaline in the body. Take it raw or have it in any other form.
- Cut apple into slices or small pieces.
- Put it in a blender and add some sugar and a cup of water.
- Blend it well.
- Drink its juice.
- Eat apples as it is.
This proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” actually makes sense when you add in your daily diet.
8. Mint Juice
Mint leafs have menthol which is one of the best way through which frequency and intensity of headaches can be cured. It has some proficiency which eliminates chronic headaches in a very easy manner.
- Take some fresh mint leafs.
- Grind them till they are in the shape of paste.
- You have to add few drops of water while grinding it.
- Make sure that the paste isn’t too liquidity. Its consistency should remain thick.
- Apply it on your temples and forehead.
- Massage it thoroughly.
- Repeat this procedure twice a day, every day.
Acupressure is one of the oldest way of dealing with health issues. These can be both; conditions and diseases. To reduce and finally eliminating headache you must:
- Place your right thumb between the fleshy part of index and thumb of other hand.
- Massage it there, slowly and in sequence.
- Pressure should stay light between these two areas.
- Make it high once you reach fleshy part beneath thumb.
- Rub it nicely for one or maximum to two minutes.
P.S: Never try this home remedy if you are pregnant.
Cloves have probability to eradicate headaches specially those which are typically known as migraines. Migraine is something in which blood vessels of head are clogged and once they are opened it goes all fine. Cloves have properties to heal migraine in the most efficient manner. However, you have to be extra careful while inhaling smoke.
- Heat a saucepan with two or three cloves.
- Cloves will start fuming up and cause smell.
- Turn off the stove.
- Inhale that aroma in the form of smoke.
- This will make you sneeze, you don’t need to worry about it.
- Once you will sneeze, you will feel clogged veins opened.
P.S: it is not advisable for those who are prone to smoke allergy.
Flaxseeds have agents linked to medicine which helps in reducing headache. It has good fatty acids which help prevent and cure mild to chronic headaches.
- Roast some flaxseeds.
- Grind them.
- Add in one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Massage on your neck, forehead and most importantly temples.
- Work on this massage whenever you have headache. It can go twice on a single day.
- Take some buckwheat.
- Crush and grind them till they are turned into fine powdery form.
- Add some oil of your choice. Almond and olive makes it a killer combination.
- Massage on exposed areas of head, temple, forehead and even nape.
- Repeat it twice. Once after waking up and other at night time.
- You can also wash it off with lukewarm water.
These home remedies for headache have done wonders in lives of many people. Some of these might not work on you that well.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
19 Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea
Research has shown that things beneficial for the heart are usually good for the brain, as our brain needs active…
Understanding the Health Benefits of Rhinoplasty Surgery
In 2019, more than 200,000 American men and women chose to have rhinoplasty surgery. Commonly called a nose job, many…
15 Health Benefits Of Aloe Vera You Never Knew
Aloe Vera is more like a miracle plant where you see it growing in the harshest of situations you place…
20 Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has a strong aroma. This healthiest herb can be used as dried, powdered, fresh, juice, oil or pickle form….