Did you say obesity? Save yourself from physical, mental and even social torture that comes with it by losing weight. We have collected home remedies for obesity and weight loss.
You become obese when fat accumulates in the body. If your BMI (Body Mass Index) happens to be above 30, then you are obese and it’s time to take action. Do you think you have tried everything and nothing really seems to work? Then you are probably short of proper planning, persistence, right remedies or discipline. There are home remedies that can help you lose weight faster than anything else.
However, you need to remember that these remedies require a good level of commitment from your side. Along with these remedies, you need to change your diet and maintain physical activity. None of the home remedies will work if you don’t have a proper balance of exercise and diet. You can’t expect to lose weight while you keep dumping calories in your body.
You can put on a lot of weight because of eating too much of processed foods high in fat, overeating, lack of physical activity, poor lifestyle choices and other such things.
Obesity gives rise to a number of serious health problems like diabetes, blood pressure, heart failures and others. You can combat it by altering your diet, exercise and following these home remedies for weight loss.
1. Mint leaves
Mint is one amazing way to lose weight having been used as a cure for obesity since ages. Ancient medicine has been using it to treat obesity and modern studies also prove it to be effective.
When you eat mint or simply smell it, the brain becomes more active and alert. This actually helps you to stop the snacking you do all day long and makes you feel full and satisfied after eating.
This way you don’t crave for more food after having your meal and in turn don’t dump in too much calorie in your body making you obese. Make mint a part of your diet and one of the best ways to do it is make chutney out of fresh mint leaves and eat it every day.
- Take a bunch of fresh mint leaves.
- Wash them thoroughly.
- Chop one tomato and one green chilly.
- Mix all the ingredients together along with a little salt.
- You can also add 3 tablespoons of coriander leaves if you find mint bitter. (optional)
- Blend them together and don’t add water as tomato and mint leaves contain enough water to give you the consistency you need.
- Have this mint chutney daily with all your meals.
- You can add crushed mint leaves to yoghurt or use it as a salad dressing.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is among the best home remedies to cut down all that fat on your body. It increases you metabolic rate, detoxifies your body and facilitates digestion. Proper digestion helps in burning fat and in turn losing weight.
- Take a glass of water.
- Add two teaspoons of lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey and one half teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Drink this weight loss solution the first thin in the morning.
- Repeat every day for a minimum of three months.
- You will be able to lose 8 pounds in two weeks if you continue with your exercise and diet control plan.
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Drink this lemon water on empty stomach in the morning.
- Drink this every day.
3. The Seedy Detox Tea
When on the run for losing weight, you don’t only have to melt down all that fat that is gathered up in your body but also the toxins which come in the way of your body system function to its optimum particularly the metabolism. When your metabolic rate is slow, the food is not digested properly and the fat doesn’t burn as much as is required for you to lose weight. In such circumstances, detox tea is a big savior.
- Take 4 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add quarter teaspoon of each fennel seeds, coriander seed, and cumin seeds.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution and pour it into a thermos.
- Sip this tea little by little throughout the day.
- Make sure when you sip it, it is either hot or at least warm.
- Since you might find the taste a bit strong, you can begin with quarter teaspoon of each seed but make it half teaspoon once you are used to the taste.
Do you know the name of a high fiber vegetable that contains the least fat and fewest calories than any other vegetable your mind can scroll through? It’s the leafy green cabbage. It is home to a high content of vitamin C, potassium, fiber and tons of other nutrients.
Making cabbage a part of your diet will not only help you reap the benefits of all the nutrients that it contains but also prevent carbs and sugars that you consume from turning into fat. The very important component of cabbage, tartaric acid, keeps carbohydrates and sugar from converting to fat. Thereby, being a savior in your road to becoming obese.
Cabbage also happens to be a cruciferous vegetable which consists of phytochemicals that prevent imbalance of estrogen metabolism that also leads to excessive storage of fat in the body along with causing ovarian cancer, breast cant cancer and other health issues. Other cruciferous vegetables that you should consider taking are Cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts.
You can eat either raw or boiled cabbage or simply add it to your salad. Make sure you have it with one of your meals every day.
Ginger is nothing uncommon and one of the best herbal remedy for weigh loss. You can easily find this herb no matter which part of the world you live in. It is more of a spice than a herb today as it is so commonly used in different dishes today.
Ginger works by enhancing digestion which is one of the pre-requisites for losing weight. It increases the PH of the stomach and activates the digestive enzymes for absorbing nutrients. It aids in utilization of stored fat and blood glucose and in turn keeping you from becoming fat. On the other hand, it also increases the metabolic rate which means it makes perfect sense to use ginger for reducing weight.
- To prepare ginger tea, take a cup of water.
- Add a teaspoon of grated ginger or half teaspoon of ginger powder to it.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution and enjoy your tea.
- You can add one teaspoon of honey to enhance taste. (optional)
- Have ginger tea after every meal.
- Chew a piece of fresh ginger before having every meal.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is yet another remedy for weight loss. Did you know when the nutrients are not absorbed properly by your body, it results in more appetite for food with you ending up eating more food than required by your body?
Capsaicin in cayenne pepper helps to burn fat and facilitates the process of digestion. This results in calming down the wild hunger that occurs as a result of malabsorption of nutrients.
- Take 10 ounces of water.
- Add two tablespoons of maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Throw in a little cayenne pepper.
- Drink this solution.
- To prepare cayenne pepper tea, take a glass of hot water.
- Begin with adding one tenth teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Gradually increase this quantity to one teaspoon.
- Add juice of half a lemon.
- Have this tea every day for a month or two.
- Simply add cayenne pepper to your everyday cooking just like other spices.
7. White Kidney Beans
If only you could stop your body from absorbing carbohydrates which converts to sugar and then later on it is stored as fats. The truth is you can actually do that with nature’s gift of white kidney beans. This is the reason you might have seen white kidney beans extract as a supplement in the market.
White kidney beans contain a component called Phaseolus Vulgaris which prevents the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar. Make sure you never eat raw white kidney beans as it can be toxic. You need to cook it completely.
- Take some dry kidney beans and soak it in water.
- Leave it overnight and pour out the water the next morning.
- Now boil the white kidney beans till they are completely cooked.
- You can even utilize pressure cooker for the purpose.
Now you can use these kidney beans as a part of a dish, add it to salads or even soups.
8. Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon tea is yet another great way of accelerating your metabolism, increasing your energy expenditure and removing toxins from your body. Together, all these factors help to reduce weight. Adding some honey to it facilitates fat metabolism. Cinnamon suppresses your appetite by combatting insulin resistance.
- To prepare cinnamon tea, take a cup of boiling water.
- Add one and a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Allow it to steep for 30 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of organic honey
- Let it stay for some time and then drink it.
- Drink it first thing in the morning, 30 minutes before breakfast. Keep the other half in the fridge and consume it before you go to sleep.
9. Green Tea
Now this one is an immensely popular remedy for weight loss. It is no wonder that green tea has raided the market so badly. It is home to 10 times more antioxidants than any vegetable and fruit you know of.
Fully loaded with antioxidants and presence of six different catechins gives it the power to increase metabolic rate and slow down fat absorption which in turn keeps you from putting on weight. Green tea is also rich in nutrients like chromium, carotenoids, zinc, selenium and vitamin C.
In order to reduce weight, drink three to four cups of green tea every day.
10. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves is an aromatic herb extensively used in cooking. This is a great Ayurvedic treatment for weight loss. Curry leaves facilitate digestion by working on the enzymes that take part in digestion and help in the absorption of nutrients from food. Curry leaves will increase your metabolic rate. It also contains a component called mahanimbine that even lowers your lipid, triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
Chew on 8 to 10 curry leaves the first thing in the morning. Continue doing so for 3 months.
Some useful suggestions!
- Quit nibbling between meals. Train your stomach to do away with less food. Rather than taking 2 big meals like lunch and dinner, simply have 4 to 5 small meals with a gap of 2 to 3 hours. This helps to elevate the metabolic rate.
- If you are really serious about losing weight, never ever miss your breakfast. It happens to be the most important meal of the day which helps you begin your day with all your energy. It keeps you from snacking all day long. Besides, research has proved that people who have big breakfasts are more liable to lose weight rather than people who eat large dinner.
- Do not forget to maintain a routine of physical exercise. The simplest and most effective one to begin with is brisk walking. Walk for half an hour every day in the morning.
- Incorporate green leafy vegetables to your diet. They contain really food value. They contain low calories but are high in nutrients like vitamins and minerals. Eat more of fruits and vegetables and other low calorie food. For instance, make it a habit to eat tomato salad as a breakfast.
- Take a glass of boiled water after every meal. It will help to bring down your weight.
- Add spices like black pepper, cinnamon and ginger to your diet. Drinking ginger tea 2 to 3 times a day can prove to be useful.
- Keep your body well hydrated. Drink eight glasses of water every day. It helps to eliminate toxins from your body.
You are not going to lose weight within days with these weight loss remedies. It might take a month and even several months till you notice the difference. You need to remain motivated and devoted to these natural methods along with maintaining a balance between diet and exercise.