Who likes to look as if you just dipped your hair in oil and remain stressful about all that oil on your hair! Read on to learn how to get rid of greasy hair naturally.
You need to keep your oily hair clean to keep your hair from falling, preventing dandruff and other scalp issues. The regular shampoos available in the market are not a good match for oily hair. They make your hair and scalp dry, ridding it of even the natural thin layer of oil.
This is the reason the production of oil from the oil glands in the root of your hair increases. It is this same natural oil that keeps your hair shiny, but when it is produced more than normal, it makes your hair look greasy.
Having oily hair only after a day or two after washing is a symptom of greasy hair. It can be due to a variety of reason like poor hair care, too much stress, hormonal changes, heredity and eating a lot of oily food.
Oily hair makes you look as if you haven’t washed your hair since days and they look limp. To look and feel at your best, you need to do something about it.
Here are the top 10 Natural ways to treat greasy hair is the best option you have.
1. Lemon Juice To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally
Lemon has been known for treating various hair and scalp issues with greasy hair being one of them. Lemon is acidic in nature which helps to bring balance in PH level of the scalp along with keeping a check on oil production. The essential vitamins help to provide you with healthy hair and you should definitely use it if you happen to have dandruff problem.
- Take two fresh, juicy and ripe lemons.
- Squeeze them to extract the juice.
- Add it to two cups of water.
- Then add three teaspoons of honey which is optional.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp for few minutes with a light hand.
- Wash it off using lukewarm water (not shampoo)
- Do this thrice a week.
2. White Vinegar To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally
It is the acetic acids in white vinegar that makes it such a good treatment for oily scalp and hair. White vinegar does not only helps you get rid of oil but also treats dandruff and infection causing bacteria present in the scalp. Whether you use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, make sure you dilute it before use.
- Combine one cup of white vinegar and half cup of water.
- If the smell of white vinegar seems unpleasant to you, you can add few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Apply this solution on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on till it dries naturally.
- Wash it off using water or shampoo.
3. Fuller’s Earth To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally
Fuller’s earth is an effective treatment for greasy hair. It is clay packed with mineral qualities and is a superb natural absorbent that can resolve greasy hair issue. It helps to restore PH level of the scalp and facilitate blood circulation in the scalp giving you healthier hair.
- Take three tablespoons of fuller’s earth if you have medium length hair and more if you have longer hair.
- Add enough water to turn it into a paste.
- Use this paste on both your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes wearing a shower cap.
- Then wash it off with cold water.
- While washing it off, massage your scalp to stimulate the hair follicles.
- Repeat two times a week to have oil free hair.
4. Black Tea To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally
It is the tannic acid in tea that aids in getting rid of excess oil or grease from your hair.
- Take a cup of water and add two tablespoons of tea powder or tea leaves.
- Allow it to boil for 10 minutes and don’t add sugar
- Allow it to cool and strain the solution.
- Add in few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply this solution on your scalp and hair.
- Let it stay for 4 to 5 minutes before washing it off with a shampoo.
- Repeat twice or thrice a week to get rid of greasy hair
5. Baking Soda To Get Rid Of Oily Hai
Oil absorption quality of baking soda is no secret. This is what makes it great for not only oily skin but also oily scalp. The alkaline baking soda will also help restore the right pH for scalp and get rid of the unpleasant smell as well. It can be used in a lot of different ways.
- Take a little bowl and add three tablespoons of baking soda.
- Add in a bit of water to make a paste.
- Gently massage this paste into your scalp and hair. Make sure you apply it on damp hair and don’t damage your hair in the process.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water (Use a shampoo if you want).
- Repeat thrice a week. Repeat every day if you have excessively oily hair.
- Take some baking soda and add it to your shampoo.
- Mix properly and shampoo your hair with it.
- Rinse your hair properly
- You can also use baking soda as a dry shampoo.
- Take some baking soda in your hand.
- Rub it on your scalp and hair.
- Then use a comb with fine tooth to comb your hair.
- Baking soda will absorb all the oil away.
6. Egg Yolk To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally
Did you know each strand of your hair is basically protein and so is the case with eggs? This means the eggs will not only provide the nourishment your hair needs but also keep your scalp healthy by ridding it of excess oil.
- Take a bowl and whip two egg yolks.
- Then add two tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Mix properly till the solution is smooth.
- You might need more or less depending on your hair length and volume.
- Apply this solution to damp hair.
- Leave it on for few minutes.
- Then wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat thrice a week.
7. Banana To Get Rid Of Oily Hair Naturally
Banana works as a great conditioner for your clumped up oily hair. One of the reasons for greasy hair is using a poor quality conditioner or a harsh shampoo. Banana with all the vitamins and potassium helps to nourish your hair along with getting rid of excess oil.
- Cut the banana and mash it till there are no lumps left or simply blend in a blender
- Mix in one tablespoons of honey to the paste.
- Cover your hair with this hair mask.
- Let it stay for half an hour before you wash your hair with warm water.
- Repeat twice a weekly to get rid of stringy oily hair.
8. Henna powder To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally
Henna powder is effective for getting rid of excess oil from your hair and scalp. It also makes your hair smooth, shiny and soft. Who doesn’t want that!
- Take a bowl and add 3 tablespoons of henna powder in it.
- Break an egg and add it to henna powder.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil, two tablespoons of honey and a bit of warm water.
- Mix everything well and apply it on your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for two hours before washing it off using a mild shampoo.
- If you find the first option too much, then simply take two cups of water.
- Add 5 to 6 tablespoons of henna powder in it to make it a paste.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on till it dries naturally.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
9. Apple cider vinegar To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally
Owing to the versatile qualities of apple cider vinegar, you are bound to see it in the remedy list of many ailments. The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar aids in maintaining a balanced pH which keeps excessive production of oil under control and prevents greasy scalp.
- Combine three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water to dilute it and minimize its acidic level.
- Shampoo your hair like you normally do.
- In the end, rinse your hair with the vinegar solution to make your hair less oily
- Repeat twice a week
- Don’t worry about the smell as it fades away when your hair dries up.
10. Aloe Vera To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair
One of the most well-known beauty secret is surely Aloe Vera. It cleans your scalp of all the impurities and keeps oil production under control along with providing nourishment to the hair roots.
- Take a cup of mild shampoo.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel.
- Wash your hair with this solution and let it stay on your for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off.
- Apply this solution on your head like any regular shampoo to get rid of greasy hair.
Some very valuable suggestions to get rid of greasy hair
- Do not wash your hair daily: Washing hair every day will strip your scalp from even the natural oil and cause the oil glands to produce more oil making your hair greasy. Wash your hair thrice a week.
- Say no to conditioners: when you wash your hair thrice a week, the natural oil produced by your oil glands are going to be sufficient to keep your hair conditioned. Conditioner will only make your hair greasy which will require more hair wash and more damage.
- Rinse your hair properly: when you are done shampooing your hair, make sure you wash your hair properly not leaving behind any shampoo. If you do, it will only attract more oil and dirt to your hair. Therefore, keep washing at least for 30 seconds.
- Ditch high temperatures: There are 3 simple ways to protect your hair from high temperature that results in greasy hair. Use hair dryers at low temperature compared to higher ones. Make sure you wear a cap if the weather is too hot to protect your hair. You can even wear a bandana. Lastly, use warm water to wash your hair instead of hot water.
- Reduce stress: depression and stress have a direct impact on your hormonal levels causing an imbalance. This can cause excessive production of oils on your scalp and skin. Minimize stress by doing meditations, yoga and regular exercises.
- Don’t touch your hair: make sure you keep your hands away from your hair as much as possible because the more you touch your hair, the more your scalp produces oil which gives you greasy hair.
- Use a good shampoo: opt for a shampoo that is meant for oily or greasy hairs. You can take your hair dresser’s recommendation. Shampoos that are more alkaline can be good for you. You will have to try out few initially to see which one suits you best.
- Keep your hair short: If you suffer from excessively oily hair, it is better to have shorter hair as they easier to manage.
- Baby powder: No time to wash your hair? Simply sprinkle some baby powder on your hair. Leave it for few minutes and comb your hair properly. The powder will absorb all the oil and give out good smell.
- Avoid oily and processed foods: Whatever you eat will show up on your body. Deep fried food will make your oily scalp even worse. Opt for fresh vegetables, fruits, berries, raisins, dates rather than burgers, chips and French fries. Drink fresh juices rather than canned ones.
- Drink a lot of water: When you keep yourself well hydrated, you remove toxins from your body which is a key to healthy scalp and hair.
[ref]http://www.nlda.org/how-to-get-rid-of-oily-hair-treatment-and-best-home-remedies/ , NLDA [/ref]
[ref]http://www.sciencealert.com/how-often-you-should-wash-your-hair-according-to-science , ScienceAlert [/ref]
[ref]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasy_hair, University of Maryland Medical Center[/ref]
[ref]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002407/ , NCBI[/ref]