Tired of battling with frizzy hair every day and want to know how to get rid of frizzy hair? Frizzy hair may be an occasional problem for some and a daily struggle for many.
It is extremely frustrating when you want silky, bouncy and shiny hair and end up with frizzy hair that not only look dull but is very difficult to style. This article is everything under one roof for all the people out there trying to manage their frizzy hair.
- What is frizzy hair?
- Causes of frizzy hair
- Symptoms of frizzy hair
- Frizzy hair treatment
- Home remedies for frizzy hair
What is Frizzy hair?
To put it simply, frizzy hair is dry and dull hair on the top of your head. There is a reason you have got this messy frizz in your hair. Hair consists of three layers in which cuticle is the outermost layer. It is the condition of the cuticle that chooses whether you are going to have frizzy hair or not. Cuticle is like millions of particles of sand and when this sand is lying flat, you have smooth and straight hair. When the layer of sand is disturbed, it results in a frizz.
It doesn’t matter to what extent your hair seems to be frizzy, there are a variety of frizzy hair solutions including the natural remedies that you can easily find in your kitchen.
Causes of frizzy hair
The primary cause of hair frizz is lack of moisture. The outer layer of the hair, which is the cuticle requires moisture to remain smooth. Some of the major causes of frizzy hair are:
- Use of chemicals: chemical treatments such as bleaching and coloring eliminates protective oils, sucks away the moisture, which results in really brittle hair. Regularly using chemicals on hair or coloring them makes the hair frizzy and brittle. Avoid using alcohol based products because it dries the hair faster than anything else.
- Excessive dryness: lack of moisture is the number one reason for having frizzy hair. Anti-frizz creams can tame frizzy hair.
- Heat damage: using dryers, rollers, flat irons and curling irons too much can make your hair extremely dry. If you use curling iron or do blow drying really frequently, then your hair or going to become dry and will break.
- Environmental factors: Too much exposure to sun, extreme humidity or chlorine along with other contaminants are really hard and harsh on hair. Swim with protection in chlorinated water. Do not wash your hair with hard water because you will end up with not only dry frizzy hair but will also face hair fall. Try to arrange mineral water or soft water to wash them.
If you are really seeking out solutions to keep your hair soft, smooth, healthy and under control, maintaining the moisture in your hair is the key. You can even utilize home remedies for frizzy hair to make them stronger and manageable.
Symptoms of frizzy hair
Common symptoms of frizzy hair are:
- Extremely dry hair
- Brittle hair
- A lot of split ends
- Weakened and broken follicles
- Breaking of hair
- Lack of control
Frizzy hair treatment
You are not the only one out there who would like to know how to stop frizzy hair and how to control frizzy hair and put an end to a bad hair day every day. Here’s how…
- Silicon serum
Using silicon hair serum for frizzy hair can prove to be perfect. The serum coats each strand of hair and ensures that the cuticle is smooth and doesn’t frizz. Take the help of a wide toothed comb to apply the serum on hair.
- Protein rich conditioner
This will make your hair more manageable and return healthy shine to your hair. Opt for a deep conditioner and let it stay on your hair for 5 minutes before properly washing it. Here are some deep conditioners for frizzy hair that may help:
- Miss Jessie’s Rapid Recovery Treatment
- L’Oreal EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System Deep Conditioner
- Ouidad Deep Treatment Intensive Conditioner
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisturizing Hair Smoothie
- Mild shampoo with moisturizers
Do not go for shampoos that contain harsh products as they dry out your hair even more. Throw away all your hair products that contain alcohol. It will only set you up for more frizz. Make a habit of conditioning your hair after shampooing and go for salon quality hair sprays, conditioners and shampoos.
- Frizz fighting ingredients
Apart from wheat, soy protein, certain types of proteins, essential fatty oils such as coconut oil are also important. Some of the frizz fighting oils are:
- Rosemary Oil
- Coconut oil
- Sunflower oil
- Olive Oil
- Avocado oil
- Antifrizz styling products
Some of the hair products for frizzy hair are:
- Yes to Carrots Anti-Frizz Serum
- Carol’s Daughter Hair Balm
- Living Proof – No Frizz Shaping Styling Cream
- Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner
- Ouidad Curl Last Flexible-Hold Hairspray
- Agadir Argan Oil Spray Treatment
Home remedies for frizzy hair
Wondering what to use for frizzy hair? Here are some dry frizzy hair remedies for you:
Remember that your hair needs fatty acids and vitamin E and who could disagree that avocado contains it all! Avocado is actually full of nourishing fatty acids and vitamin E that helps to calm down the frizz. It is a great idea to make a hair mask with a hydrating agent like banana, yoghurt, olive oil, and mayonnaise.
- Take one ripe avocado.
- Mash it properly.
- Mix in a little olive oil or some other hydrating agents of your choice.
- Shampoo your hair like you normally do.
- Cover your roots and hair with this mixture.
- Let it stay for half an hour.
- Rinse again with cold water.
Beer rinse is a popular remedy for frizzy hair and returns exceptional shine to your hair. This is because it brings back the lost moisture in your hair and that’s exactly the major cause of frizzy hair. Beer contains different minerals, vitamins, natural sugars and amino acids that your hair requires. Vitamin B in particular adds volume as well as shine to your hair. Use darker beer to make the remedy more effective.
- First wash your hair with shampoo like you do normally.
- Now rinse your hair with beer and make sure you coat it well.
- Let it stay for 5 minutes.
- Then again wash your hair.
- Repeat once every 2 weeks.
3. Carbonated Water
What is carbonated water? It is water that contains carbon dioxide gas. Sparkling water, fizzy water, seltzer water, soda water and club soda are all carbonated water that helps tame the frizz in your hair.
All you have to do is rinse your hair with carbonated water after you shampoo your hair. What makes it so effective? Carbonated water is a little acidic and your hair has a thin layer of oil, water and salt on it. This layer is a little acidic with a PH of 4.5 to 5. It is important for locking moisture in your hair. It also aids in keeping your cuticle scales flat and consequently control frizz.
Alkaline products seem to lift up the cuticle and cause frizz. Carbonated water helps to restore the mildly acidic PH of your hair.
It is no hidden fact that banana is a treasure of many nutrients, but did you know banana also works as a great hair conditioner for frizzy hair? Banana is packed with potassium, vitamins, natural oils, all of which serve the purpose of frizz control and provide excellent moisture to your hair.
- Cut the banana and mash it till there are no lumps left.
- Mix in two tablespoons of honey and an oil of your choice.
- Adding some yoghurt is optional.
- Cover your hair with this hair mask.
- Let it stay for half an hour before you wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Repeat weekly to tame unruly hair.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
To complete the home remedy list, apple cider vinegar has to be there owing to its versatile functionality. It not only fights off the frizz but also prevents it. It seems life into your dull and make it lively again.
- Combine apple cider vinegar and water in equal proportion to dilute it and minimize its acidic level.
- Shampoo your hair like you normally do.
- In the end rinse your hair with the vinegar solution to make your hair less frizzy.
- Repeat twice a week
6. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is everything under one roof for the overall health of your hair including your desire for frizz free hair it. It is packed with nutrient such as iron, phosphorous, calcium, selenium, and vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6. It is actually an extraordinary moisturizing agent.
- Take some coconut milk and massage into your roots and apply it on hair ends.
- It is recommended to warm it before applying.
- In case coconut milk is thick, you can add so lemon juice it.
- Let it stay on your hair for half an hour.
- Wash it off using a shampoo.
- Repeat once or twice weekly.
7. Olive Oil
Still thinking how to fix frizzy hair? Conditioning your dull and dry hair with olive is one of the best treatment for frizzy hair. Olive oil provides your hair with the much needed moisture and locks it in your hair. You can even use coconut oil, rosemary oil, almond oil or castor oil to make your hair frizz free, glossy and smooth. Oil contains many nutrients that your hair lack and fill in the gap.
- Heat an oil of your choice.
- Massage this warm oil into your hair.
- Take a hot towel and wrap it around your head.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with a regular shampoo.
- Repeat thrice a week.
Eggs are a treasure of nutrients. They have many vitamins and minerals along with high class protein. All the nutrients of eggs nourish and strengthen hair roots as well as scalp. And when you are battling frizzy hair, eggs will soften and moisturize your dry frizzy hair making them naturally silky and shiny. The natural amino acids in the eggs play a very important role in revitalizing your hair follicles to smooth your frizzy hair.
- Combine a teaspoon of olive oil and an egg.
- Whisk properly.
- Cover your hair with it.
- Let it stay for half an hour.
- Wash it off using a shampoo and conditioner.
Honey has natural powers of attracting moisture and is completely endowed with super powers to treat frizzy hair. It contains many nutrients and antioxidants that facilitate hair growth. It both moisturizes and conditions dull, dry and frizzy hair making it soft, smooth and shiny.
- Combine quarter cup of honey with either 4 to 5 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil.
- Apply it on your hair.
- Let it stay for half an hour.
- Wash it off using a regular shampoo.
Note: using warm honey is a better option as it might get stuck in your hair.
Mayonnaise, oil and eggs make a perfect combo for strong and shiny hair as they are all great moisturizing agents.
- Take a bowl and add half a jar of mayonnaise, one tablespoon of olive oil, one tablespoon of lemon juice and an egg yolk.
- Mix well and apply it on damp hair.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes
- Wash your hair properly with cold water.
Now that you know how to get rid of frizzy hair, do not wait to get that shine you owe to your hair!