Dry and flaky scalp is a common problem particularly in winter which makes finding out how to get rid of dry scalp crucial for the health of your scalp.
We all have scalp problems at some point of our life or the other. A dry scalp is not only due to environmental condition but can be caused by eczema, unbalanced diet, psoriasis, lack of moisture, infections, anxiety, sebaceous cysts and using a shampoo that doesn’t suit you.
Dry scalp can also become a cause of embarrassment for you in public. Itchiness, irritation, dryness and dandruff are some of the symptoms of dry scalp. Scratching your head in front of others is not only annoying for you but others around you too.
Don’t get all worried if you have tried so many conditioners but none of it worked for you. Very simple changes like using something in your kitchen can take care of your scalp. Natural ways can work wonders for your scalp.
Rather than going for really expensive treatments, utilize some of these natural ways to get rid of flakiness and dryness of scalp.
Avocados are full of minerals, natural oils and vitamins. Therefore, it can help to deeply moisturize your scalp. People who use avocado get their dry scalps moisturized and nourish along with soft, shiny and conditioned hairs.
- Take a ripe avocado and add it in the blender or food processor.
- Then add one teaspoon of honey and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply it to your dry scalp and your dry hair.
- Use a shower cap to cover it and leave it on for half an hour.
- Wash your hair using warm water and then shampoo it later on.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is well known for its antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial qualities which make it a perfect choice for combatting dry flaky scalp and the harmful effects it has on your hair. It not only smells good but is also a great moisturizer.
- You can add a tablespoon of tea tree oil to half cup of your conditioner. Use it every day till you notice the condition of your scalp getting better. This is the quickest way to add some strength to your conditioner.
- Take a tablespoon of vegetable oil and add 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil. It gets diluted this way. Then you can massage the oil into your scalp using your fingers. Use it regularly to treat dry and itchy head.
- Look for products that contain tea tree oil in their ingredient list because there are many conditioners and shampoo with tea tree oil in them.
3. Lemon juice
The antiseptic qualities of lemon juice help to treat dry scalp effectively. It also exfoliates the scalp cleaning it of dirt and dry flakes along with moisturizing it. And if you are struggling with dandruff, then you should definitely consider using lemon juice.
- Take a cup of coconut oil and add in few drops of lemon juice.
- Massage it into your scalp and let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover your hair with a warm towel.
- Then wash your hair.
- You can also opt for a combination of lemon juice and other essential oil.
- Take a fresh lemon and squeeze it to get the juice.
- Add some honey and mix it properly.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp with a light hand.
- Wash it off using a shampoo
Did you know the building block of hairs is protein and skin requires protein to maintain its youthfulness? Well, eggs are all protein too which means they not only nourish your dry scalp but will also keep your hair healthy.
- Take a bowl and whip two egg yolks.
- Then add 1/8 cup of water and two teaspoons of olive oil.
- Mix properly till the solution is smooth.
- You might need more or less depending on your hair length and volume.
- Apply this solution to your dry scalp and hair.
- Then wash it off with warm water and shampoo your hair.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is going to condition your scalp and hair due it the anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial qualities. It also restores the scalp PH to normal which will give you some peace in your head from dryness and itching both.
- Combine equal proportion of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Store this solution in a spray bottle.
- Then spray this solution on your scalp.
- Let it stay for ten minutes
- Then wash and shampoo your hair with normal water.
- Repeat twice a week for effective results.
Do you know what mayonnaise is exactly made of? It is primarily made of oil and eggs. As we discussed, eggs are fully proteins and benefit the scalp and the oil moisturizes the dry scalp. An added benefit is that it contains vinegar which rids the scalp of bacteria and fungus that might be living in your scalp resulting in all the dryness and itching.
- Take half cup of mayonnaise.
- Gently massage it into the dry scalp and apply it on the dry hairs.
- Cover it with a warm towel.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Then wash it off using a shampoo.
Hot oil treatment
Have you tried those hot oil treatments they offer at salons? It is an extremely effective treatment for dry scalp. Moisture and nourishment is what the dry scalp is screaming for and hot oil massage will give you just that.
- Take a saucepan and warm up coconut oil or sesame seed oil.
- Let it become warm but not hot.
- Allow it to cool for a minute.
- Apply this oil into your scalp by dividing your hair into sections. Massage your head for few minutes.
- Wrap around a hot towel to lock the moisture and leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Then wash it off with a shampoo. Make sure you don’t over shampoo your hair.
Are you a banana lover? Then there is good news for you. You cannot just eat banana but also use it to treat your dry scalp. Banana with its moisturizing quality will help you get rid of inflammation, dandruff and flakes associated with dry scalp. It will also rid your itchiness along with giving you shiny and glossy hair.
- All you need to do is take two bananas and mash it.
- Also add one ripe avocado to it.
- Mix well and apply the mixture on your scalp and even your hairs.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Then wash it off using a shampoo.
Owing to honey’s antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities, honey is used to treat a number of ailments including dry and itchy scalp.
- Take half cup of virgin olive oil and heat it to make it warm but not hot.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey in it.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp and even you hair.
- Cover your hair with a hot towel to lock the moisture that you dry scalp need.
- Leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off using a shampoo.
- Combine two tablespoons of raw honey, 2 tablespoon of vegetable glycerin and 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Use this mixture as a conditioner after you shampoo your hair.
- Simply add a little honey to your conditioner.
- Use it after you shampoo your hair.
For all those who don’t want to apply oil because of the greasy texture, coconut oil is very light oil which is not that greasy. It will moisturize your dry scalp and also combat itchiness that comes with it.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it so that it melts down.
- Add it to your shampoo when you wash your hair.
- Take some coconut oil and gently massage it into your clean scalp.
- Let it stay for a minimum of half an hour so it gets completely absorbed by the scalp.
- Then wash it off using a shampoo.
- Repeat thrice a week for positive results.
- Take a cup of fuller’s earth.
- Add one teaspoon of coconut oil and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp.
- Let it stay for an hour.
- Wash it with a shampoo.
- Do this on a regular basis till the condition improves.
If you want to get rid of dry scalp fast, then follow these remedies on a regular basis till you notice improvement. Also, make sure that you use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner and avoid using too much of straighteners or curlers as heat can also cause dry scalp. Lastly, drink lots of water and make sure you are taking enough proteins in your diet for healthy scalp and hair.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
15 Health Benefits Of Aloe Vera You Never Knew
Aloe Vera is more like a miracle plant where you see it growing in the harshest of situations you place…
20 Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has a strong aroma. This healthiest herb can be used as dried, powdered, fresh, juice, oil or pickle form….
15 Health Benefits Of Walking Barefoot On Grass
Sometimes it is very difficult to find time to connect oneself with the Earth when there is so much going…
15 Health Benefits Of Olive Oil You Never Knew
The most important issue while cooking and preparing meals is to determine what oil is supposed to be the healthiest…