Everyone goes through the problem of stomach ache at least once in a lifetime and knowing how to get rid of stomach ache can prove to be very handy at the time.
Stomach pain is extremely disturbing, particularly when you need to do something that requires concentration and attention. If you have gone through one or are going through one, read on. This article is everything under one roof and covers the following areas:
- What is stomach ache
- Causes of stomach ache
- Symptoms of stomach ache
- Stomach ache treatment
- Home remedies for stomach ache
- How to get rid of stomach ache
What is stomach ache?
An umbrella term for stomach aches is “abdominal pain”. Whether it is due to indigestion, gastritis or irritable bowel syndrome, and aching tummy can be very discomforting. No worries, you can alleviate stomach pain with a variety of treatments and natural stomach ache remedies.
What Causes of stomach ache
It doesn’t matter whether it is cramps in the stomach, abdominal pain, mild belly pain, or sharp pain in the stomach. There are thousands of different causes for stomach ache. Here is a list of some of the common causes:
- Food poisoning
- Food allergies
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Stones in the kidney
- Infection in the urinary tract
- Infection in the gall bladder
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Menstrual cramps
- Kidney stones
- Crohn’s disease
- Stomach virus
- Infection in the stomach
- Urinary Tract infection
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Thyroid disease
- Excessive intake of alcohol
Symptoms of stomach ache
The major stomach pain symptom is usually the pain felt in the abdominal region. In case the pain is recurrent or severe and consists of the following symptoms, you should go see a doctor:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Passage of blood while vomiting
- Inability to eat
- Tightness in abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty to pass stool
- Signs of dehydration
- Frequent or Painful urination
- Black tarry or bloody stool
Such symptoms hint towards some internal problem which needs treatment. The sooner, the better. Do not make delays in case of severe abdominal pain. Immediately go see a doctor.
How to get rid of stomach ache
Stomach ache treatment
Treatment of abdominal pain mainly depends on the cause. There are various ways to get rid of stomach ache like antibiotics for infection, medications for ulcers, GERD, inflammation or pain triggered by particular beverages or foods. In case of hernia or appendicitis, surgery is required. Since there can be many reasons, the doctor is going to ask you about the symptoms that you are going through and conduct a physical exam. After doing his initial evaluations, he might ask you to do some tests to help figure out the real cause of pain. The tests may consist of urine or stool test, CT scan, ultrasound, endoscopy or blood tests.
Home remedies for stomach ache
If the stomach ache persists, it is highly recommended to visit a doctor. However, there are various home remedies that serve as great stomach ache cures. This list will clear all your confusions regarding what to take for stomach ache. Here you go…
Ginger has been a cure-all for nausea to pain and all that is in between since ancient times and is among the best medicine for stomach pain. It is not simply an old wive’s tale. There are studies that have proved it to be effective for treating different types of upset stomach along with reducing pain in the stomach. Ginger aids in neutralizing stomach acid, increase digestive juice and minimize the production of free radicals.
- Take a fresh ginger root and cut thin slices.
- Take a cup of water and as soon as the water starts boiling, put ginger slices in it.
- Allow it to boil for a few minutes and let it simmer for few more minutes.
- Strain it and add some honey for taste.
- Take small sips slowly.
- Consume this ginger tea twice or thrice a day to improve digestion and ease stomach ache.
- You can also consume ginger in the form of ginger chews and supplements. Others like to drink in the form of beverage like ginger ale or simply tea.
Do you have a stomach ache because of indigestion? Then fennel seeds can bring you quick stomach ache relief due to its antimicrobial, pain reducing, diuretic and carminative qualities. Fennel seeds aid in providing relief from indigestion signs like bloating and gas as well.
- Take a cup of hot water and add a teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds in it.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool and then strain it.
- Add a bit of honey to enhance taste.
- Drink slowly
- As an alternative, you can also chew on one and a half teaspoon of fennel seeds after a meal.
You can go for one of these remedies and consume it thrice a day to alleviate stomach ache.
Asafetida is also known by the name hing. You can shed all your worries if your tummy pain is due to indigestion or gas because Asafetida consists of antiflatulent and antispasmodic qualities that alleviates the discomfort.
- Take a cup of warm water and add a teaspoon of asafetida.
- Take a cotton cloth and soak it in this solution.
- Keep it on your stomach for up to 15 minutes.
- It helps to ease the pain.
- Do it many times in a day.
- Take a glass of warm water and add a pinch of hing.
- Stir well and consume it thrice a day.
- If you want, you can even add a pinch of rock salt.
- This remedy is great as it helps to eliminate gas and gives relief fromstomach ache.
Chamomile is well known for its anti-inflammatory nature. It helps to relax the muscles present in the upper digestive tract and thereby making the contractions smooth which helps to move the food in the digestive tract. This also helps to minimize stomach cramps. Moreover, chamomile’s sedative quality has a calming effect on the nerves. So both the sedative and anti-inflammatory quality helps to reduce tummy ache.
- Take a cup of boiling water.
- Add a teaspoon of dried chamomile in it and cover it.
- Let it steep for up to 15 minutes.
- Strain it and put in lemon juice or honey to enhance taste.
- Take small sips and drink slowly.
- Consume twice or thrice a day.
5. Lemon water
Lemon water is a great cure for an upset stomach. It is not a hidden fact anymore that lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and a powerful antioxidant that eliminates free radicals. What you probably don’t know is that lemon helps to treat indigestion and as a result relieves stomach ache caused by it. Therefore, lemon water is extremely effective.
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Add fresh lemon juice in it.
- Adding a pinch of black salt makes it even more effective.
- Add some honey as a taste enhancer.
- Consume the drink 3 to 4 times a day.
Did you know medical studies have proved that peppermint aids in improving the flow of bile and that bile juices are used for the purpose of digestion in the body? This is the reason, peppermint helps to improve digestion. It also has a soothing effect on muscles of the stomach, which is why it helps to minimize the ache. This antispasmodic effect of peppermint in the digestive tract aids in reducing pain that results from stomach gas.
- To prepare peppermint tea, take a cup of boiling water and add a teaspoon of dried peppermint.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and mix a bit of honey.
- Drink the tea slowly.
- You can also chew on peppermint leaves on and off to get fast stomach ache relief.
Both methods help to ease the pain and relax you.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Facing indigestion or gas? Go ahead and try the staple of home remedies, apple cider vinegar. Do you find it too strong? You can dilute it by adding in some water. It is the antibiotic quality in apple cider vinegar that helps to improve digestion and soothe the stomach. In case you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can always use the regular vinegar.
- Take a cup of warm water and mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey.
- Sip it slowly.
- Consume this solution after every few hours till you feel better.
Yogurt is the most stomach friendly food. It is great for the overall health your stomach. Did you know yoghurt with live cultures aid in improving digestion and as a result helps to give you relief from stomach aches caused by indigestion.
- Take a cup of water and add two tablespoons of plain yoghurt along with a pinch of salt.
- Extract some juice of fresh coriander leaves and add 3 tablespoons of it to the mixture.
- In the end, add 1 ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- To ease stomach aches, drink it after an hour of having your meal
- As an alternative, you can also have unsweetened yoghurt many times in a day till you start feeling better.
9. Warm Compress
Heat is a great pain killer and helps to soothe the stomach ache. What heat does enhance the process of digestion and facilitate circulation. You will automatically find relief from stomach pain when food is properly digested.
- Take a warm shower or bath for up to 20 minutes two times a day to get relief from stomach pain.
- Keep a hot water bottle on the site of pain on your stomach for 10 minutes. To get the best results, keep the heating device on your stomach and lie down. Do this many times a day till you feel better.
10. Rice Water
Do you think rice water is the leftover water after you cook rice? Yes, exactly that’s what it is. It acts as a demulcent but what’s a demulcent? It is a substance that helps to give you relief from inflammation by building a barrier over a membrane especially the stomach lining and minimizes pain. It serves as one of the best natural remedies for an upset stomach.
- Take 1 ½ cup of white rice and wash it properly.
- Take 6 cups of water in a pan and boil it.
- Then add the rice to it.
- Cook the rice and when it becomes tender, strain the water.
- Allow the water to cool and mix some honey in it.
- Sip it slowly.
- Consume it 2 times a day, every day.
- As a bland food, you can even eat yoghurt with rice.
So now that you are aware of how to get rid of stomach ache, you can apply these remedies or visit a doctor in case of constant stomach pain.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are antacids and when should I start taking antacids?
As discussed antacids neutralize the acid in stomach providing relief from acid indigestion, upset stomach, heartburn, ulcers, gas and sour stomach. Take antacids as your doctor has directed you. If you are taking tablets, make sure you chew them properly. Be careful about overusing antacids as it can have side effects like stomach cramps, constipation and diarrhea. Pepcid, Zantac, Axid, and Tagamet are easily available in store and reduce the production of stomach acid. For those patients for whom antacids are not effective enough can use PPIs or H2 blockers as an alternative. Make sure you discuss with your doctor if you have frequent of severe episodes of reflux.
Can stomach cramps be avoided without taking medicines?
Doing experiments with your stomach is the best method of finding out which drinks and foods are acceptable to your stomach. Only take those foods and drinks that your stomach is able to digest properly. Be careful about your timings as well. For example, make sure you don’t have a big lunch if you are planning to do some jogging later on. Having small snacks the entire day is a better way to avoid stomach cramps.
Eating high-fat foods, peppermint, onions, alcohol can result in GERD or heartburn which then causes stomach pain. Also avoid caffeinated beverages like coffee and foods like chocolate that can trigger acid reflux. Citrus fruits and tomatoes also contribute to acidity. Making changes to your eating habits can minimize acid reflux. Also try to keep your posture upright. Make sure you eat your last meal 3 to 4 hour hours before you sleep and do not snack at bedtime.
What exactly is Endoscopy?
This is a method by which doctor can see inside the digestive system. A lighted tube with camera known as the endoscope is inserted into your mouth for the doctors to see the inide of your stomach, esophagus, small intestine, rectum or colon. Doctors can then easily diagnose:
- Stomach or chest pain
- Problematic bowel movements