Peeling skin is a natural process but if it starts happening more than usual, then there is a problem. Read on to get to know how to get rid of peeling skin.
As a natural process, skin peels off and renews itself after every 28 days. Mostly people aren’t even aware that there skin just got renewed. This replacement can be influenced by factors like hydration, friction and exposure to the sun. Excessive peeling is noticeable and annoying.
Skin comprises of three layers with the outermost layer being the epidermis. Peeling skin means loss of epidermis with symptoms like rash, dryness, flaky skin, inflammation and itching. If you are also going through some other symptoms like joint and muscle pain, fatigue, weight loss and fever, then you should immediately consult a doctor.
Skin peeling can be a symptom in itself. Some of the causes of peeling skin may be certain medical conditions like excessive perspiration, ringworm, allergies, overexposure to the sun, skin infections, psoriasis, eczema, peeling skin syndrome, athlete’s foot, dermatitis and many others.
Peeling skin is usually nothing to worry about, but if it happens to be due to medications or infections, then you should go see a doctor. Otherwise, you can try out these natural ways to get rid of peeling skin.
1. Peeling skin diet
Diet and health of your skin has a strong connection. Taking a healthy balanced diet will give you a nourished and youthful skin. If your peeling of skin is due to sunburn or some other reason, then here are some of the dietary changes that you can make to heal the skin faster:
- The major cause of peeling skin can be mineral or vitamin deficiency. Increase the amount of foods packed with vitamin A, B and C along with iodine and iron. For instance, you can get vitamin C from citrus fruits and vegetables while cheese, milk and whole grains are a good source vitamin A. meant, cereals and nuts are full of iron.
- If you want you can consult a doctor and take supplements or capsules.
- Cucumber is a must for a healthy skin. Make sure you eat raw cucumber or simply add it to your salad.
- Don’t take too much of foods rich in fiber as they facilitate excretion of waste and too much excretion can dehydration your body giving you peeling skin.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is a thousands of years old method for treating skin ailments. It has been used throughout history to heal wounds, stings, sooth burns and nourish dry hair and skin. Its anti-inflammatory qualities help to reduce redness, minimize scaling, ease itching, and protect broken skin which the peeling skin is often accompanied with. It will help to heal your peeling skin faster. If you don’t have Aloe Vera plant, the Aloe Vera gel is easily available at pharmacies.
- Cut out a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Combine two tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel and a little vitamin E oil.
- Apply it over the affected area.
- Let it stay till the gel is thoroughly absorbed by the skin.
- Then wash it off
- Repeat thrice a day daily and continue for a week.
Oatmeal is well known for its hydrating, calming and soothing qualities which is exactly what your peeling skin accompanied by itchy, flaky, red and inflamed skin needs. Oatmeal is full of minerals like iron and manganese along with the much-needed vitamins to heal your damaged skin.
- Fill a bath tub with warm water.
- Throw in a cup of finely powdered oatmeal.
- Immerse your body in the oatmeal bath for 30 minutes.
- Then wash your body with clean water
- When you are done with the bath simply pat dry your skin.
- Then use a moisturizer generously on the affected areas.
- Combine 1/4th cup of ground oats with a little warm water to make a paste.
- Use this oatmeal scrub over the affected skin.
- Rub only gently not vigorously.
- Then wash it off with cool water.
Do not simply add cucumber to your diet but you can also use it topically because of its astringent qualities, high water and vitamin C content. It will sooth your flaky and irritated skin along with hydrating it allowing it to heal the peeling skin naturally. Vitamin C aids in minimizing sun burn and repairing skin.
- Take a fresh cucumber.
- Wash and grate it to make a paste.
- Cover the affected skin with this paste.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Then wash it off using warm water.
- Repeat two times daily for two weeks till the skin is healed.
- Take one peeled cucumber and two tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel.
- Blend them together to make a paste.
- Apply this paste over the affected skin.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Then wash it off using warm water.
- Repeat once a day for two weeks till the skin is healed.
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a perfect way to deal with peeling skin as it softens the scaling and flaky skin. It also acts as a perfect moisturizer for dry peeling skin as the oil provides the skin with a protective layer and adds moisture to the skin which it lacks. It contains vitamin E which combats with free radicals meant to keep aging of skin at bay.
- You can simply take ample amount of lukewarm olive oil
- Warm it a bit in the microwave.
- Gently massage the affected areas with it.
- You can repeat three times in a day till you see positive results.
- Combine olive oil, one egg yolk, some rose water and a little lemon juice.
- Mix well to make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off.
While you take care of your skin externally and provide it with external hydration, internal hydration is also important. To keep your skin tight and healthy, drink more fluid regularly. Make it a habit.
Drink two liters of water every day along with maintaining and intake of fresh vegetable and fruit juices. Think about increasing the dose when you have peeling skin. It helps to keep your skin moisturized from inside and boosts your immune system.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol intake on a regular basis as it can dehydrate your body and give you peeling skin.
7. Lemon juice
Lemon is not simply a bleaching agent but it also acts as a natural chemical exfoliator by dissolving the dead skin and minimizing the peeling. By adding sugar, the small sugar granules help to physically get rid of the peeling skin and heal your skin.
- Combine juice of half a lemon and half cup of sugar.
- Mix the ingredients to make a paste.
- If you want, you can also add one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of olive oil. (Optional)
- Now gently massage the scrub over the affected skin in circular motions.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wash it off with cold water.
- Do this twice a week till your condition gets better.
Apple cider vinegar helps to restore the natural PH of the skin. It alleviates irritation and itching that comes with peeling skin. It also acts as a natural exfoliator dissolving the dead skin away. However, remember that acidic nature of apple cider vinegar can make your skin condition worse if you use it in large quantity or too often.
- Take a very small amount of apple cider vinegar and apply it on the peeling skin.
- Cover the affected area with a clean cotton cloth to keep it from rubbing off.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Just do this once or twice a week as using it frequently can cause irritation.
9. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is the best way of treating peeling skin. The fatty acids in coconut oil help to nourish the skin and locks moisture in your skin which what your scaling and peeling skin needs. It also contains antioxidants that minimize the irritation and itching to quiet an extent.
- Take some coconut oil and heat it in the microwave to make it warm not hot.
- Massage the affected areas of the skin with this oil with a light hand.
- Do this twice a day till you get rid of peeling skin.
You can also use castor oil, almond oil and sesame oil but olive oil and coconut oil are by far the best oils for peeling skin.
Milk is a natural moisturizer that keeps your skin soft, supple and smooth. It is the protein in milk that calms your inflamed and irritated skin while the lactic acid minimizes the itching which greatly helps to treat the peeling skin.
- Combine one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of whole milk.
- Massage the affected area with this moisture.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes before washing it off.
- Repeat two times every day for a week.
Some useful tips
Here are some additional tips to keep the peeling at bay:
- Remember to keep your skin moisturized all the time particularly in cold weather.
- Use sunscreen when out in the sun and try to avoid remaining exposed to the sun between 11am to 2am when the sun is at its peak.
- Avoid scratching your skin too much as it can lead to scarring.
- Don’t take a shower with water that is hot or warm. A cold shower will help reduce the itching.
- Don’t use harsh shampoo or soaps. Instead, use gentle baby soap and shampoo.
- Keep your bedroom temperature cool.
- Resort to a pain killer if the inflammation is painful.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
15 Health Benefits Of Aloe Vera You Never Knew
Aloe Vera is more like a miracle plant where you see it growing in the harshest of situations you place…
20 Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has a strong aroma. This healthiest herb can be used as dried, powdered, fresh, juice, oil or pickle form….
15 Health Benefits Of Walking Barefoot On Grass
Sometimes it is very difficult to find time to connect oneself with the Earth when there is so much going…
15 Health Benefits Of Olive Oil You Never Knew
The most important issue while cooking and preparing meals is to determine what oil is supposed to be the healthiest…