Age spot is a common skin condition faced by many which may look unpleasant and reveal your age. How to get rid of age spot is the question this article will answer.
Age spots have other names too like liver spots and sun spots but they are technically known as solar lentigines. They are small brown colored lesions usually found in people above 40. They are painless and mostly occur on face, hands, feet, back neck and forehead. They are usually not cancerous but enlarged spots can be.
Age spots are believed to be caused by prolonged exposure to the sun. Sun rays may cause accumulation of melanin in localized area of the skin which may eventually turn into age spots. It is no wonder they are also called sun spots.
Age spots are nothing to get all worried about with respect to health but they can be really annoying as they simply tend to unveil your age. While mostly age spots are harmless, they can be cancerous too. If you notice a dark spot that changes size, color and shape, it is only best to check with a doctor.
Here are some natural ways you can lighten up or at least fade those annoying dark spots:
- 1 1. Lemon Juice to get rid of age spot
- 2 2. Gram Flour to get rid of age spot
- 3 3. Aloe Vera to get rid of age spot
- 4 4. Horseradish to get rid of age spot
- 5 5. Red Currants to get rid of age spot
- 6 6. Onion Juice to get rid of age spot
- 7 7. Yogurt to get rid of age spot
- 8 8. Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of age spot
- 9 9. Papaya to get rid of age spot
- 10 10. Castor Oil to get rid of age spot
1. Lemon Juice to get rid of age spot
Be it dark underarms, dark neck or even age spots, lemon’s natural bleaching ability is not a hidden secret. Lemon juice is highly rich in citric acid and can easily lighten up those unpleasant brown spots on your skin. In case your skin is sensitive, dilute the lemon juice with rosewater or simply water.
- Cut few slices of lemon and rub it on your unwanted brown spots. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes two times a day. Then wash it off.
- Take some lime juice and add a little sugar. Use it to rub the age spots. You can even add some olive oil to this mixture. Sugar granules will exfoliate your skin while the lemon juice will lighten the spots.
- Take a fresh lemon and squeeze out some juice. Apply it over the spots and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes. Then wash it out with water.
- Combine juice of 2 tomatoes and 4 teaspoons of lemon juice. Rub the brown spots with and leave it on for 30 minutes before washing.
Note: do not go out in the sun after using lemon because it makes your skin more photosensitive. You will end up darker than before.
2. Gram Flour to get rid of age spot
This is a really effective treatment for age spot removal. This mixture actually contains all that the things needed for getting rid of the annoying dark spots. Gram flour along with other things will fade out the age spots.
- Take a fresh lemon and squeeze out the lemon juice.
- Take a bowl and add some rose water in it and soak the empty lemon slice in it.
- Now add 2 teaspoons of gram flour, one teaspoon of milk, one teaspoon of tomato juice, and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Use this paste on the age spots.
- Leave it on until it dries.
- As soon as it dries, rub 2 drops of castor oil on your finger and scrub away the paste. Don’t be harsh. Just do this gently.
- Then wash the area with water.
- Repeat one to two times a day daily for 10 days. Later on, you can continue doing twice a week till you notice an improvement.
3. Aloe Vera to get rid of age spot
Think about the most skin friendly herb and you will have Aloe Vera for an answer. Aloe Vera not only has healing qualities but also facilitates skin regeneration. It will allow your skin to remain hydrated and supple. It is a perfect treatment for liver spots particularly the ones caused by exposure to sun. If you don’t have the plant, you can simply buy Aloe Vera gel from a store.
- Cut out a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Apply it over the brown spots.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes so that the gel is thoroughly absorbed by the skin.
- Then wash it off
- Repeat twice a day daily and continue doing it for a month.
4. Horseradish to get rid of age spot
Horseradish is a wonderful herb that will leave your skin spotless owing to its natural bleaching qualities. It not only helps to remove age spots but also freckles and scars. There is a quick method to it and there is a method that might require some patience from your side.
- Simply make a horseradish paste and cover your spots with it.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes and then wash it off.
- Repeat twice a week.
- Cut out a 4 inch piece of horseradish and grate it.
- Take one fourth cup of apple cider vinegar and add the grated horse radish in it.
- Leave this mixture for two weeks before using it.
- Now strain the mixture and take a cotton ball to cover the brown spots.
- Repeat thrice a day and continue for a month.
5. Red Currants to get rid of age spot
Red currant is a very simple and easy to use method. Red currants are acidic in nature which helps to fade out those nasty age spots.
- Take one fourth cup of unripe red currants and mash them.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to it and mix well.
- Cover the brown spots with this mixture.
- Let it stay for half an hour.
- Then wash it off using warm water.
- Then use some diluted lemon juice that is diluted with rose water or water.
6. Onion Juice to get rid of age spot
Yet another simple and easy method of getting rid of age spots is onion juice. Onion juice is packed with vitamin C, organic compounds and even enzymes that contribute to its skin lightening quality.
- Cut some slices of onion and gently rub it over the unwanted spots.
- Do this twice or thrice a day.
- Combine two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of onion juice.
- Cover the age spots with this mixture.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes.
- Then wash it off properly so that you get rid of the strong smell typical of onion.
- Repeat one to two times a day.
7. Yogurt to get rid of age spot
Yogurt contains curd and lactic acid which helps to give you a lighter skin tone if you use on a regular basis. Even the buttermilk gets its skin lightening qualities from curd and lactic acid. Buttermilk serves the same purpose too.
- Take some plain yoghurt and cover your spots with it.
- Leave it on till it dries up.
- Wash it off using cold water.
- If you want quick results, then leave yoghurt overnight and wash it off the next morning.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of ground oatmeal, one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, and one tablespoon of yoghurt.
- Mix well and apply it on your unsightly brown spots.
- Let it stay for an hour.
- Wash it off using cold water.
- If your skin gets really dry, apply some moisturizer.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times in a week.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of age spot
Along with being effective at treating various skin issues, apple cider vinegar also helps to get rid of age spots. Apple cider vinegar contains tartaric acid, malic acid and many other acids that help to get rid of age spots or at least fade them out.
- Mix equal proportion of water and apple cider vinegar each.
- Add some honey (it’s optional).
- Take a clean cotton ball and soak it in this solution.
- Apply it on your brown spots.
- Leave it on for few minutes before washing it off.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of orange juice and one-half teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well and apply it over the brown spots.
- Let it stay till it dries naturally.
- Then wash it off.
- Do this twice a day and continue for a month.
9. Papaya to get rid of age spot
Papaya can be really beneficial for your skin and it is the enzyme called papain that makes it so good for your skin. Papain helps to exfoliate the dead skin cells and removes the age spots as well as skin blemishes and acne scars. The vitamin A in papaya also increases collagen production responsible for giving you taut, young and brighter skin.
- Take 1/4th cup of papaya cubes and mash it.
- Either add cream or yogurt in it.
- Mix half teaspoon of honey and few drops of lemon juice. In case you add fresh cream, you don’t need to add lemon juice.
- Mix properly and apply it over your brown spots.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash it off.
- Do it thrice a week.
Warning: Do a skin patch test before using papaya as some people can be allergic to papaya.
10. Castor Oil to get rid of age spot
Castor oil is effective for getting rid of moles, warts, skin tags, blemishes and even age spots. If you don’t have castor oil you can also use almond oil, olive oil, and vitamin E oil
- Simply take a clean cotton ball and soak it in castor oil.
- Massage the area with brown spots for few minutes.
- Let it stay for few hours before washing it off.
- Repeat this twice. Once in the morning and once before going to sleep.
So here were some effective ways to get rid of age spots. Remember these methods won’t do magic in just a day or two. You need to do it regularly for few weeks or may be a month to get the desired results.
1)http://www.livestrong.com/article/117049-rid-age-spots-naturally , LIVESTRONG.COM
2)http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/age-spots/basics/treatment/con-20030473 , Mayo Clinic
3)http://www.webmd.com/beauty/aging/age-spots , WebMD
4)http://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/dark-spots-skin-hyperpigmentation , WebMD
View Article References [ + ]
|1.||↑||http://www.livestrong.com/article/117049-rid-age-spots-naturally , LIVESTRONG.COM|
|2.||↑||http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/age-spots/basics/treatment/con-20030473 , Mayo Clinic|
|3.||↑||http://www.webmd.com/beauty/aging/age-spots , WebMD|
|4.||↑||http://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/dark-spots-skin-hyperpigmentation , WebMD|