Freckles are really common among females particularly regardless of the age but there is nothing to worry about since there are many home remedies to get rid of freckles. Freckles are dark color, brown, round and flap spots that occur on the skin robbing it of its beauty. They may appear in the form of cluster. Usually it is the nose and the cheeks that are mostly affected. Otherwise, other areas like back, neck, arms are also affected. Freckles are mainly caused because of high rate of melanin growth. Other causes of freckles include hormonal imbalance, prolong exposure to sunlight, deficiency of iron, hereditary factor, and disorders such as xeroderma pigmentosum. No matter what the reason, nobody likes such pigmentation on the skin as it makes you look unpleasant.
Although freckle removal cosmetic surgeries are there but they may cost you a lot and do not give you any kind of guarantee. People who have a fair skin are more prone to these flat and tanned spots. The color of the spot may vary from person to person. It could be light brown, tan, red, yellow, or black to brown.
Fortunately natural remedies are a good cure for freckles since they are easy to use and very safe. You can notice fast and good results. Here are top 10 home remedies for freckles that you can try at home.
1. Lemon juice and peel
Lemon juice is counted among the high effective ingredients to treat freckles as it contains natural lightning properties. It is the citric acid in lemon that bleaches or lightens any dark spots that may be present on your skin. They are extremely helpful in removing freckles.
- Cut lemon into 2 halves.
- Squeeze and apply fresh lemon juices on the freckles using your fingers.
- Massage for up to 10 or 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with warm water.
- For best results, repeat 2 times a day.
- Combine 1 tablespoon honey, pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Use this mixture on your freckles keeping your eyes away from it.
- Let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse your face.
You may also use the peel of lemon as scrub on the areas where freckles are present. Wash it away after 5 minute.
Note: Keep in mind that lemon skin when used as a scrub may result in burning sensation or irritation. To avoid this, splash some chilled milk on your face after using the lemon peels.
2. Sour Cream
Do you have a sensitive skin? Then sour milk is the treatment just meant for you. sour milk consists of lactic acid that is immensely helpful in removing freckles naturally without any dryness or irritation on skin.
Use sour cream on the affected site of the skin. Allow it to dry. Instead of using water to wash it off, gently wipe it off using either a soft towel or tissue. Use a moisturiser afterwards. This remedy does not result in dryness or skin irritation. For best results, repeat once a day everyday till the freckles disappear.
As an alternative, use sour milk every day to rinse your face or the affected site. In case, you don’t have sour milk you can use yoghurt.
- You can make a wheat germ and honey mask. To make this mask, mix honey, wheat germ and warm water. Apply this mask and keep it on for up to 10 minutes. Rinse using warm water and wash again but this time with cold water.
- Combine water and honey. Heat them a little. Apply a layer of it on the affected site and leave for few minutes. Wash it off using warm water.
- Another way to get rid of freckles is by combining yoghurt and honey. Apply it over the part of skin where freckles are present. Let it sit for half an hour and then rinse out the area.
Papaya juice is great for treating freckles naturally because it contains special kind of enzyme called papain which is immensely helpful in lightening the freckle spots. This enzyme controls the production of melanin which brings the dark spots on your skin in the first place. Green papaya consists of more papain compared to ripe papaya although both can be beneficial for treating freckles.
- You can directly apply fresh juice of papaya on the affected site using a cotton ball and gently massage the affected area. You can wash it off after 10 minutes. This natural remedy is also good for treating any kind of skin blemishes. It helps to make skin healthier and soft.
- As an alternative you can also apply papaya slice on affected area. Let it stay for 10 minutes at least.
Onion is helpful in treating freckles owing to the content of sulfur that it contains. Sulfur allows eliminating freckles without any kind of burning sensation. Red onions are considered the best for this purpose.
- Cut some thick slices of red onion and gently rub the slices on the affected areas. Do this remedy for at least 15 days.
- Just in case you are someone allergic to the smell of onion, you can grate red onion to extract the juice. Mix some honey to the juice and apply in on the skin where freckles are visible. Both the ingredients work equally well to eliminate freckles.
Cucumber is the most skin friendly ingredient that you can find in your fridge. It has an amazing quality of revitalizing your skin along with bleaching qualities that brings about a glowing skin. Cucumber juice is a perfect remedy for blemishes and freckles. Phenylalanine in cucumber seed helps to put a check on the storage of melanin in the skin.
- Grate cucumber and apply it over your skin
- You can also extract cucumber juice simply by pressing grated cucumber and use it on your face
It may come as a surprise to you but egg plants or more commonly known as brinjals have the ability to remove freckles and brown spots. Eggplant not only consists of minerals and vitamins but also contains antioxidant qualities and phytonutrients. Antioxidants help to protect cells from free radicals. Eggplant does help to fade away your freckles and is super easy to use. This remedy will give you very quick results. You might notice your freckles fade in 7 to 10 days.
- Bring a fresh eggplant containing juice. Never use a dried eggplant as it will be of no use to eliminate freckles.
- Cut 0.25 inches thick slices of eggplant.
- Rub the affected areas with these slices in a circular motion for up to 5 to 8 minutes.
- Let the juice of the eggplant stay on the skin till 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off using warm water.
Buttermilk is derived from good old milk. It consists of lactic acid which has a skin lightening effect. In other words, Butter milk contains bleaching qualities that assist in fading and lightening freckles. It also makes the skin soft and smooth.
- Combine one teaspoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of buttermilk. Apply it on the skin and Let it sit on your skin for at least 10 minutes. Then wash it off.
- Another way of using it is by directly applying buttermilk on the freckles. Let it sit for 10 minute before your rinse the affected area with warm water. For best results, do this 2 times a day for several weeks.
- As an alternative, you can also combine butter milk and powdered oatmeal to make thick paste. Use this paste on the freckles. Apply a layer of it and let it stay for half an hour before you wash it off using cold water. For best results, do this once a day every day.
9. Almond Oil
Almond oil has been used as an ingredient in many of the skin lightening products available in the market. Almond oil consists of phytosterols, unsaturated fatty acids, vitamin B6, vitamin B2, vitamin E, minerals and PP. these ingredients together assist in eliminating not only freckles but wrinkles too.
Before using almond oil, indirectly heat it. Keep it in a bowl and be cautious that no water enters it. Massage this heated oil on the affected site of the skin for 10 to 15 minutes. Do this for 2 to 3 weeks before going to bed.
10. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds when used alongside turmeric results in a superb combination to remove or fade freckles as it promote lightening of skin.
- Add on teaspoon of turmeric powder, on table spoon of sesame seed and some water in a grinder. Grind the ingredients to make a smooth paste.
- Use this paste over the affected areas of the skin.
- Let it stay for about 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off using cold water.
- Repeat this once every day and you will notice your freckles lightening up.
Instead of investing a lot of money on expensive treatments, treating freckles naturally with these home remedies is a good idea.