Have you got skin tags and want to know how to get rid of skin tags safely and quickly? But before that, let’s get to know what are they by knowing the following things:
- What are skin tags?
- What causes skin tags
- Symptoms of skin tags
- Skin tags treatment
- Home remedies for skin tags
- 1 What are skin tags?
- 2 Causes of skin tags
- 3 Symptoms of skin tags
- 4 Skin tags treatment
- 5 Home remedies for skin tags
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The medical term for skin tags is acrochorda. They are small, flesh colored, soft skin outgrowths that can occur on any part of the body any time. They are really common which can be noticed by the fact that 50% of the adults have it at some point in their lives. Skin tags are usually painless and harmless and is considered more of a cosmetic problem. The problem arises when they occur at a noticeable place or if it gets infected or irritated.
Skin tags occur when blood vessels and bunch of collagen get trapped within thicker bits of skin. They are generally believed to be caused by friction and this is the reason you can find them in skin folds and creases. This friction may also be due to rubbing of clothing, jewelry or simply skin on skin contact.
Some of the factors increase the chances of developing skin tags are:
- Individuals with diabetes
- Pregnant women due to hormonal fluctuation
- Obese or overweight people as they have more skin folds
- Illegal use of steroid as it interferes with the muscles and body, resulting in collagen fibers in the skin to bond.
- Individuals inflicted with human papillomavirus (HPV).
- Hereditary factors
Skin tags can appear anywhere, including chin, anus, armpit, upper chest, back, neck, around the eyes, testicles and groin. Skin tags are usually the same colour as your skin. They seem to look brown in fairer people. They can be either wrinkled or smooth. The size ranges from 1mm to the size of a pea. Very small skin tags seem like protruded bump on the skin.
If you twist and turn the skin tag it may change to black or red colour. If caught on to something they can even bleed. Skin tags are generally painless and is not a part of any specific skin condition or symptoms. People who have diabetes may go through a skin condition known as acanthosis nigricans, which is related to skin tags.
Although skin tags are harmless medically, but they do harm a person’s self-esteem, which is why getting rid of skin tags is important. Although there are many home remedies for skin tags, but be careful if they are located near your eyes or anywhere sensitive, get it removed professionally.
People usually remove skin tags for cosmetic an aesthetic reason. Many people get large skin tags removed from their arms or face to make shaving easy. Here are some of the procedures that can be used for skin tag removal:
- Litigation: the blood supply to skin tag is disturbed.
- Cryosurgery: a probe containing liquid nitrogen is used to freeze skin tag.
- Excision: removal of skin tag takes place by using scalpel.
- Cauterization: skin tag is burned using heat.
Only allow a trained medical professional or a dermatologist to perform these procedures on you. If the skin tag is located around the eye, only an eye specialist can do it.
The medicines to remove skin tags are simply over the counter drugs available at the pharmacies. They work by freezing the skin tag which falls off on its own after 7 to 10 days.
Now how to get rid of skin tags at home? Many people may develop many skin tags and removing skin tags at home may seem like the best option. Here are some of the best skin tag remedies, but remember to wash our skin with soap and warm water before you go for any of the home remedies. Consult your doctor before trying to get rid of skin outgrowths:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Let’s begin with the king of home remedies, apple cider vinegar. How does it work? It kills the skin tag tissue and completely destroys skin tag.
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Immerse a cotton ball in it.
- Cleanse the skin and pat dry it before you dab a cotton ball over it.
- Squeeze the cotton ball while you massage the skin tag. It will sting a bit it will soon be fine. You can also dilute it to avoid this.
- Then wash it off.
- Repeat thrice a day till you get rid of skin tags.
Note: to prevent any scar formation, apply vitamin E oil or olive oil regularly on the affected site.
2. Fenugreek Seeds
This is one of the best skin tag remedies. Fenugreek seeds are known for their antioxidant qualities and they eat away dead skin cells, reducing the size of skin tags till it’s gone.
- Take 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds.
- Soak it in warm water and leave it overnight.
- Strain the mixture.
- Drink the water on an empty stomach.
- You can even chew on fenugreek seeds and apply this water on skin tags.
- Do it for one to two weeks.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Home removal of skin tags can also be done by using tea tree oil. It works by drying up the skin tag which then eventually falls off without causing any pain. This oil also contains antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal qualities which will guard the skin even after the skin tag is gone.
- Take a clean cotton ball and soak it in water.
- Squeeze to get rid of excess water.
- Add four drops of tea tree oil on it.
- Properly clean the affected site with soap before you apply this cotton ball on it.
- Massage the skin tag with a light hand.
- Repeat thrice a day
Make sure you use tea tree oil with water as it could cause irritation to your skin.
4. Castor Oil
Castor oil helps to treat external skin growths without a trace of scars. Castor oil may taste awful but, it’s soothing when applied. You can either use castor oil alone or add some other things for quicker results.
- The simplest method is to gently rub castor oil on skin tags for several days at least 5 times
- Combine a few drops of Lomatium herbal extract with castor oil. Directly apply it on the skin tags twice or thrice a day. This combo helps to give faster results.
- Combine castor oil with baking soda to form a paste. Cover the skin tags with the paste and wrap it with a bandage before sleeping. Wash it off in the morning with warm water. Repeat for 10 days till the skin tag falls off.
5. Onion Juice
Onion juice makes a great treatment for skin tags. Make sure when you cut the onions, they bring tears in your eyes. That helps to ensure that the onion contains the element required for curing the little skin tags.
- Take an onion and chop it into small pieces.
- Keep it in a closed container and add 1 ½ teaspoon of salt to it.
- Let it stay overnight before you use it.
- Now blend this mixture to get onion juice.
- Apply this onion juice on the skin tags before you sleep and cover it using a bandage.
- Wash it off with warm water in the morning.
- Repeat till you get rid of the skin tag.
6. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil makes removing skin tags at home, even easier. Oregano oil contains strong antibacterial qualities along with being anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic.
- Combine four drops of coconut oil with two drops of oregano oil.
- Gently massage the skin tags with this oil.
- Let it dry on its own before washing it off.
- Repeat thrice a day till it drops.
Never use oregano oil without a carrier oil as it can cause irritation and redness and never use it around your eyes.
7. Banana Peel
Talk about an environmentally friendly remedy and banana peel is it! It is the strong antioxidant quality of banana peel that helps in dissolving the skin tags.
- Take a small piece of banana peel.
- Apply it over your skin tag. This means that the inner white part is in direct contact with the skin tag while the yellow part remains upwards.
- Use a bandage to wrap it on the skin tag. You can also make use of first aid tape.
- Do it till few days until the skin tag falls off.
8. Lemon juice
Lemon juice is also a good way to remove skin tags. It’s no hidden fact that lemon is a citric fruit and contains citric acid, which is the key element that helps to decompose the cells of skin tags and dry it out.
- Take a fresh lemon and cut it into two halves.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon on the cotton ball.
- Apply it over the skin tag and let it stay. No need to wash.
- Repeat thrice a day for a few days till the skin tag drops.
9. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is well known for its skin regeneration ability and antioxidant qualities.
- Simply take a vitamin E capsule and break it open to get the oil.
- Cover the skin tag with this oil
- Use a bandage to wrap around the skin tag.
- Let it stay overnight and wash it off the next morning.
- Repeat the process for at least 10 days to see positive results.
Garlic is yet another superb skin tag remover owing to its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral qualities. It also contains an enzyme that naturally reduces the size of skin tag and eventually gets rid of it.
- Take 3 to 4 garlics and crush them to make a paste.
- Apply it on skin tags before you go to sleep.
- Cover it with a bandage to enable the paste to sit.
- Wash it off in the morning with warm water.
- Repeat for a few days till you get rid of skin tags.
So now that you know how to get rid of skin tags, you can try out these remedies. You are not going to get instant results using these remedies, but persistency is bound to give you good results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who gets skin tags?
50% of the adults do have at least one skin tags and most of the people who do will have at least few. They might start having more skin tags as they age. They are particularly common in obese people as compared to those who don’t have many skin folds. Pregnant ladies often get one or two skin tags or their existing ones increase in size. Earlier, peole used to associate skin tags with diabetes but that is not true anymore.
Are skin tags inherited?
Skin tags are not inherited. However, it is true that if it runs in the family, then you are more likely to have more than a few skin tags.
What is the reason for the appearance of skin tags?
The exact reason for skin tags have still not been found as to why some people have it and others don’t. Friction seems to be one big reason for it.
Is it possible to get rid of skin tags at home?
Yes, some of the home remedies discussed in the article are effective if done regularly. However, do not try to surgically remove it at home. You can end up with an inflamed skin tag. The cuticle scissors you might use are not as sharp as the surgical ones. And if you are thinking of trying an old method that involves strangling the skin using a tight thread, don’t do it. It often ends up in a swollen sore tag and is not removed. Just go get some surgical treatments at the hospital instead of experimenting at home.