Dark knees and elbows can come in the way of you trying to look sexy and attractive. Knees and elbows are naturally a little darker than the rest of your skin tone. Elbow and knee skin is naturally thicker and has a tendency of losing moisture compared to other skin regions.
Dry skin is the major cause of dark knees and elbows. Knee and elbow area doesn’t contain any oil glands. Other causes of dry skin are obesity, genetic factor, excessive exposure to the sun, rubbing and increased melanin pigment.
This beauty condition can be treated utilizing cosmetic products. However, lotions and creams might not give you what they promise. Oh no! You don’t have to rush to a salon for some expensive treatments. Natural remedies can lighten dark elbows and knees.
You can try out these tried and tested natural methods to get rid of black knees and elbows. If you want you can also go for two natural methods at the same time since these natural methods don’t have any side effects.
Potatoes are not just good for health but also your skin. Potato is a great home remedy for removing sun tan. It contains loads of minerals, proteins, fibers and vitamins. Being packed with vitamin C, it helps to lighten up your skin, soothe sun burn and give you a glowing skin.
- Peel off the two potatoes and cut them into pieces.
- Blend it to form a paste and add a tablespoon of lemon juice in it.
- Mix it well and put a layer of it on the dark elbows and knees.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
If you don’t have any lemon, you can also simply add in some yoghurt.
2. Gram flour
Gram flour also known as chickpea flour contains proteins, minerals and essential vitamins that together exfoliate the skin scraping away dead skin cells and restoring your skin tone. Although you can easily find gram flour powder in the market but in case you don’t, you can use whole green gram.
- Combine gram flour and lemon juice in equal quantities to make a paste.
- Apply it over the black knees and elbows.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes and wash it off.
- Repeat two times in a week.
- This method will show immediate results.
- Combine some gram flour with a pinch of turmeric.
- Pour in a little rose water and milk to make a paste.
- Adding powdered orange peel is optional.
- Apply it over the affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Repeat till you get rid of dark knees and elbows.
Now, what is the most simple and effective method at the same time? Yes! that’s cucumber. Cucumber does not only keep your skin moisturized and hydrated but it is also an amazing bleaching agent. It soothes your skin and lightens up your skin tone. Adding lemon juice to it only enhances its bleaching quality as lemon is packed with vitamin C that makes it a strong bleaching agent. This great combo serves to lightening dark skin patches, eliminating tan and age spots.
- Combine one tablespoon of cucumber juice and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- You can also add one tablespoon of rose water which is also another cooling agent and natural toner or a little turmeric. (optional)
- Use cotton to apply it over the affected areas.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes before washing with cold water.
- Repeat every day till you get rid of sun tan.
- Cut thick cucumber slices.
- Simply rub these slices of cucumber on your dark skin.
- Let it stay for 5 minutes
- Then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat every day.
4. Lemon Juice
It is no secret that Lemon juice is a great natural bleaching agent and a cure for dark elbows and knees. It is the high amount of vitamin C in it that gives it the power to cut through the dark regions of the skin and restore the original skin tone. It scrapes away dead skin cells and regenerates healthy skin cells. It also aids adding moistures to your knees and elbows which are naturally drier areas of the skin.
- Take one lemon.
- Squeeze out the juice.
- Add a tablespoon of honey
- Apply it over your knees and elbows.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes
- Let it dry before washing it off.
- As an alternative, combine sugar and some lemon juice.
- Apply it on the skin with sugar being a great cleansing agent.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes.
- Then rub it gently on your skin before washing it off.
- Repeat thrice a week to get positive results faster.
Yoghurt is a great cleansing agent and an exfoliator. Presence of lactic acid in yoghurt makes it a great scrub helping it to get rid of dead skin cells and promoting regeneration of healthy skin cells on your dark knees and elbows. It aids in eliminating pigmentation and dark spots leaving your skin soft and supple. Yoghurt not only contains bleaching qualities but also adds moisture to knees and elbows which are naturally dry areas and one of the reasons for making your elbows and knees look dark.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of yoghurt and two tablespoons of gram flour.
- Apply this thick paste on the darkened knees and elbows.
- Let it stay for half an hour.
- Then gently rub with your fingers and wash it off.
- Repeat twice or thrice a week.
- Combine a tablespoon of yoghurt, a tablespoon of tomato juice and two tablespoons of cucumber juice.
- Apply it on the affected areas.
- Let it stay for half an hour before washing it off with warm water.
You can even use plain yoghurt without adding anything to the darkened knees and elbows.
Sugar is a great cleansing agent which helps to brighten up the skin tone and serves as an effective black knee and elbow solution. Since the sugar granules are really small, they help to get rid of dead skin cells and promote production of new ones. It also helps to add moisture to the naturally dry regions of knees and elbow leaving them soft and supple.
- Combine olive and sugar in equal quantities.
- Mix well to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on darkened knees and elbows.
- Massage in circular motions using your fingers for few minutes.
- Then wash it off using warm water and mild soap.
- Initially do this every day till you notice your skin brightening up.
- Then repeat twice in a week.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a dwelling place of loads of minerals, fatty acids and a number of other nutrients that combine to nourish your skin. It also contains vitamin E that hydrates your skin and prevents dryness in your elbows and knees along with playing the role of a natural bleacher.
- Take 3 to 5 walnuts and grind them until coarse.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to it.
- Use this mixture to massage your knees and elbows for up to 10 minutes.
- Wash it off using warm water.
- Do thrice in a week.
- Combine a teaspoon of coconut oil and half teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Gently rub this natural whitening solution on your elbows and knees.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Then wash it off.
- Repeat every day till you notice positive results.
Papaya is a secret of various health benefits of the skin and a treatment for dark elbows and knees. It is the enzyme called papain that gives papaya such powerful qualities. It helps to rub off all the dead skin cells bringing brighter skin to the surface. Papaya even contains vitamin A that helps to elevate the production of collagen that gives you youthful skin. It helps to get rid of dark patches on your skin and even blemishes.
- Take a fresh papaya and cut it into cubes.
- Mash some cubes and add a bit of water to make a paste.
- Apply this mixture on your elbows and knees.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes before washing it off with water.
- Repeat twice or thrice in a week and continue for few weeks.
- Take 1/4th cup of papaya cubes and mash it.
- Either add cream or yoghurt in it.
- Mix half teaspoon of honey and few drops of lemon juice. In case you add fresh cream, you don’t need to add lemon juice.
- Mix properly and apply it over your skin.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash it off.
- Do it thrice a week.
Mint is well known for its soothing qualities but did you know mint also contains loads of vitamin A and essential oils? Together they promote the production of collagen that renews your skin and maintains a healthy glow. So using it to get rid of black knees and elbows makes sense. It also contains salicylic acid which cleans your pores and scrapes away dead skin cells lightening up your skin tone.
- Take 8 to 10 mint leaves.
- Crush them to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your knees and elbows.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it with water.
- Do this every day for few weeks.
- Take half cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Throw in a handful of mint leaves to it.
- Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Take a half a lemon and squeeze it into this water.
- Strain this whitening solution.
- Use cotton balls to apply it on your knees and elbows.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes before washing it off.
- Repeat twice a day daily till you notice positive results.
10. Aloe Vera
If your dark skin on your elbows and knees are due to hyperpigmentation, then Aloe Vera is a perfect answer. It is a natural skin lightener which keeps your skin moisturized as well as hydrated. Remember dryness is one of the major reasons for darkened elbows and knees. It cleanses your skin and the polysaccharides in it help to promote generation of new skin cells leaving your skin evenly toned.
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf.
- Scoop out the aloe gel.
- Directly apply it on your knees and elbows.
- Leave it till it dries.
- Then wash it off.
- Repeat every day for few weeks.
- Combine one teaspoon of sugar, one teaspoon of lemon juice and two tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel.
- Massage your skin with this mixture with a light hand.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off.
Some useful suggestions!
· Apply sunscreen on your elbows and knees whenever you go out if you are wearing short clothes.
· Do not exfoliate your skin if you happen to have open wounds as it can cause infection.
· When the temperature soars high in summers, make sure you wear long sleeves and full length clothes that cover your entire body.
· Keep your body well hydrated by drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water every day. It helps to detoxify your body.
· Don’t forget to apply a moisturizer after you have scrubbed your knees and elbows. You can do so using a coconut oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter or even petroleum jelly.
· Make sure you don’t apply salt or lemon juice to cracked or bruised skin as it could result in irritation or even infection.
· When you scrub, do it gently rather than harshly.
· When you take a shower, make use of a wash cloth or loofah along with exfoliating shower gel to scrub your knees and elbows.
· Moisturize your knees and elbows on a regular basis before going to bed because they are naturally dry regions of the body and dryness results in dark elbows and knees.
· Use a pumice stone to gently rub your elbows and knees.
· When you choose a remedy, make sure you do a patch test on your skin as you could be allergic to the ingredients.
· Take sugar, caffeine, soft drinks, cereals, breads and other kinds of processed foods in moderation.
· Some of the bleaching fruits and vegetables are cucumber, tomatoes, orange, grapes and potatoes. You juice, grate or slice them to apply on your skin.
These natural methods require patience and persistence but the good news is that they have lasting effects. You will gradually get back to your attractive-self able to flaunt your skin without feeling embarrassed.