Osteoporosis is a disease that is commonly known as the weakness of bones. ‘Osteo’ means bones and ‘porosis’ means weakness.
People who have this disease have a higher risk of having broken bones whenever they fall. This adverse condition makes the bones weak and thinner that may cause them to break quickly. It also reduces the bone density and unable those to manage properly plus making them intensively fragile that puts them in a risk to have fractures, especially hip, wrist and vertebrae area.
If you want to know what is osteoporosis, what are its treatment and causes, osteoporosis symptoms, you’ll find all these information’s right here in detail.
Osteoporosis is not limited to any gender, but it is more commonly seen in women around the world. These women are at a very high risk because of low bone mass that is calculated by the National Institute of Health.
According to a study, women during their lifetime, 50% of postmenopausal women have faced this painful problem and got osteoporosis-related broken bones and fractures.
According to an American study, an estimated number of 1000 fractures occur every hour around the world.
We will now see some of the major factors that cause osteoporosis. There are quite a number of risk factors that raise the cause of having osteoporosis.
Some of them can be modified while others cannot be avoided at any cost. Some of the non-modifiable risk factors of osteoporosis are:
- Being one of Asians or Caucasians.
- Small or tiny bone structure.
- Age-Especially after 35.
- Fractures that happened before especially at the age of 50 or above.
- Hereditary-Osteoporosis in the family.
Let’s see some of the risk factors that can be modified
- Too much alcohol intake.
- Smoking tobacco.
- Bulimia and anorexia nervosa.
- Stress or inactivity.
- Deficiency of vitamin D and reduced calcium.
- Deficiency of sex hormones in women (lack of estrogen after menopause).
There are some other risk factors that increase the cause of having osteoporosis such as other diseases and intake of certain drugs that forms a particular change in the hormone level and also the drugs that reduce the mass of the bones.
Ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis also increase the risk of having osteoporosis. There is a list of medications that increases the risk of osteoporosis such as
- Heparin-used as a blood thinner.
- Letrozole-used to fight cancer.
- Leuprorelin-used to treat prostate cancer.
- Anastrozole-used to treat sex hormones.
- Intake of excess thyroid medications.
- Glucocorticoids and prednisolone.
We will now see the major signs and symptoms of osteoporosis that must be considered for a healthy lifestyle. The loss of bones that are developed slowly and steadily in the course of time does not show any particular signs and symptoms of osteoporosis.
The very first symptom that a patient knows of their osteoporosis problem is an unexpected fracture that happens after a minor fall or accident. A little strain or slip and even cough or sneeze can cause a fracture.
The area of bone that breaks particularly lies in the hip, wrist or spinal cord. The latter break in the spine can cause loss of posture; it is the stooping position that is often seen in old people.
If you have recently diagnosed with osteoporosis or you have a high risk of developing it in the future then you must follow a strict diet plan to overcome this problem, so that you can maintain a healthy lifestyle to help slow down the growth of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis treatment requires patience and consistency. You can also try some very effective and amazing home remedies that will help you to reduce the risk of having osteoporosis.
“The best possible remedy to prevent osteoporosis is to eat calcium enriched foods.”
15. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a very popular kitchen ingredient that works amazing for various health problems.
It is the fermented juice of crushed or grated apples. Rich in many vitamins, potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium, it helps to overcome many chronic health diseases. While cooking your daily meals, a splash of vinegar will help to take out calcium from the bones that will help to reduce the problem of osteoporosis which make it a perfect DIY treatment for these problems.
- When you are planning for dinner or a snack add a tablespoon of vinegar, to add a twist along with attaining its health benefits.
- Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it with a teaspoon of honey.
- Have this mixture daily to overcome the problem of osteoporosis.
Beans are one of the rich sources of energy and provide ultimate health benefits. When used as a daily meal it can help reduce and omit much health related problems.
Beans are a good source of proteins, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, iron and magnesium. The calcium, iron and fiber content of beans helps to retain the energy in bones and fill the gaps inside them that are the cause of osteoporosis.
Beans can be used as an effective natural osteoporosis treatment.
- Add beans to your salads and soups to get some amazing benefits out of it that helps to reduce osteoporosis.
- Boil some black bean in a cup of fresh water and strain it.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and drink this mixture daily to get some instant energy and reduced osteoporosis pain.
13. Peanut Butter
Many recent studies on osteoporosis have shown that the use of peanut butter can prevent a person from having this prolonged and annoying disease.
Magnesium plays a vital role in strengthening, rebuilding and preserving human bones. If taken in adequate amount it can overcome the problem of osteoporosis and that’s why peanut butter is a good source of magnesium and provides you enough amount of magnesium that will help you to say bye-bye to osteoporosis.
So no matter if you’re feeling osteoporosis symptoms or not, make sure to include it in your meals.
- Eat about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to prevent this disease.
- You can also use them in sandwiches and as a salad dressing.
- Try using peanut butter in sweet and savory foods as well.
12. Orange Juice
Vitamin C is one of the components present in many fruits and vegetables that enable you to preserve and rebuild your bone once again.
A good consumption of vitamin C on everyday basis can certainly help a person to overcome the health issue such as osteoporosis.
Among the fruit and vegetable kingdom, Orange is a fruit that is rich in vitamin C and each 100 g of oranges provide almost 64% of the total vitamin value. Make sure to add vitamin C in your food for prevention as well as osteoporosis treatment.
- The best way to get proper vitamin C is to eat orange as a whole or drink its juice.
- Try to use it in fruit salads and season it with some orange juice.
- Try to use them in your daily meals to get maximum benefits.
Broccoli being a rich source of vitamin C and K can show some effective results in reducing the problem of osteoporosis. A half cup dose of broccoli on the daily basis provides enough vitamin K to prevent this disease. Studies have found that postmenopausal women lack this vitamin in their body and that’s why they are more likely to get osteoporosis than other women. People who eat broccoli regularly have much less chances of osteoporosis symptoms than others who don’t.
- Add some broccoli is your daily meals especially salads.
- Have a delightful broccoli soup to warm up yourself in chilled winters and to get most benefits out of it.
- Use them in your savory dishes as one of the sautéed vegetable.
10. Sun Bath
Vitamin D is extremely important for healthy and strong bones. It plays a vital role in the absorption of calcium in the bones, thus helping you to prevent the problem of osteoporosis in coming years.
The best and the most natural source of vitamin D is sunlight. The best way to get sunlight is to have a sun bath at the right time and that right time is early in the morning when the sun is coming out shining high up in the sky. It is the best time when you can absorb maximum vitamin D from the sun rays.
To increase vitamin D intake simply expose yourself to the sun early in the morning for about 10-15 minutes daily. This produce will help produce the right amount of vitamin D in the body. But always be careful while you are exposed to the sun, as over exposure can harm the skin intensively. Always apply a good sunblock before going out in the sun.
9. Regular Exercise
Regular exercise is the most important activity to fight osteoporosis. Many pieces of researches have found that regular physical exercise increases blood circulation and helps to reduce bone loss, improves bone health and increases the density of the bones. So you can say that exercise is an essential osteoporosis treatment to get rid of it before it attacks you. Some important types of exercises that promote healthy bones are:
- Balancing and flexibility exercises.
- Exercises with resistance such as stretch bands and free weights.
- Exercise that bears weight like walk, aerobics or playing tennis or badminton.
Coriander is one amazing kitchen ingredient which is enriched with some very important minerals that help to strengthen and maintain bone structure. Both coriander seeds and leaves are a good source of potassium, calcium and manganese along with some other minerals such as iron and magnesium.
Manganese and calcium plays a key role in the stronger development of weak bones and helps you to maintain the perfect health of your bones. These minerals also help old women to prevent spinal bone loss.
- Add two teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of hot water and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and add honey for good taste.
- Drink this every day to maintain a healthy bone structure.
- Try to include coriander leaves and seeds as a good seasoning to your daily dishes.
“Osteoporosis is one of the common diseases among women aged 60 and above who are going through the phase of menopause.”
The amazing fruit pineapple contains outrageous mineral manganese that is utmost beneficial for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis.
Bone loss and its malformation are directly linked with the deficiency of manganese and consumption of pineapple fills up this gap by providing sufficient amount of this mineral.
- Try to add one cup of chunky pineapple before your every meal, it provides almost 75% of manganese dose to the body.
- You can also drink pineapple juice for the prevention of this disease.
- Whenever having a bowl of fruit salad add some chunks of pineapple to refresh the taste along with adding some benefits to it.
6. Sesame Seeds
According to the studies of Ayurveda, consumption of sesame seeds is one of the effective ways to help reduce the problem of osteoporosis.
As sesame seeds are rich in calcium, which is of the best nutrient for stronger and healthy bones. Along with calcium, they also contain some very effective minerals such as manganese, magnesium, zinc phosphorus, copper, vitamin D and K.
- Chew a teaspoon of roasted sesame seeds everyday in the morning.
- Try drinking warm milk twice daily containing roasted sesame seeds.
- Also use sesame seeds in daily cooking and bakery items.
5. Fish Oil
Fish oil can be used for an effective osteoporosis treatment and also as an effective preventive measure.
Omega-3 is one of the miraculous component found extensively in fish oil that helps to increase the mineral density of the bones as it provides essential fatty acids and vitamin D to the strengthen the bone structure.
According to one of the popular study that omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil slows up the formation of factors that leads to muscle and bone loss by minimizing breakdown of bones.
- Take about 1000 mg of fish oil supplement once daily with every meal to show its effectiveness.
- You can also add cold-water salmon to your diet that helps to increase the amount of fatty acids in your diet.
Note: People who are already taking blood-thinning pills should not take fish oil supplement without doctor’s advice.
As an apple a day keeps the doctor away then this can be one fine solution for osteoporosis. The phenomenal combination of antioxidants such as flavonoids and polyphenol makes the fruit one of the best bone strengthening agent.
According to a French study, the flavonoids known as phloridzin that are present in apples help women to protect themselves from osteoporosis after their menopause just by improving inflammation and increasing bone density. Along with these apples are rich in mineral such as boron that helps the bones to hold their calcium content that is one of the building blocks for muscles and bones. Always have an apple with skin, as it will be extra beneficial or opt for organic apples free from pesticides and synthetic materials.
3. Coconut Oil
A recent study has shown that complementing your diet with some virgin coconut oil can reduce the deficiency of estrogen in the body thus increasing the density of bones.
The antioxidant property of coconut oil will maintain the structure of bones and will also prevent the body from having a bone loss due to hormonal changes.
This essential oil also helps the body to absorb important magnesium and calcium that are required to strengthen the bones.
- Consumption of 5 tablespoons of coconut oil will reverse the process of osteoporosis and 3 tablespoons will prevent this disease.
- Add virgin oil to your daily meals.
- A deep massage with coconut oil will also strengthen your bones and will provide necessary nutrition to the bones.
2. Almond Milk
Almond milk is a product that is enriched with calcium and hence helps to prevent the disease of osteoporosis. The flavonoids present in this milk helps to reduce the free radicals in the body that protects you from having osteoporosis. It also contains potassium, magnesium and manganese which are also very essential for the strengthening of bones.
- Soak about a cup of almonds overnight in water. The next day peel the skin off and grind them fine into a paste. Add a little water, cinnamon powder and honey along with grinding it again. Strain the mixture and have it daily.
- Another option is to soak 10 almonds overnight in warm milk and blend them next day after peeling the skin off. Add a pinch of saffron, little cardamom powder and ginger to the mixture. Drink it daily to see some effective results.
Prunes are dried plums and eating them on the daily basis can prevent you from having osteoporosis and fractures. This fact has been proven by many popular studies around the world.
Due to the high concentration of polyphenol which is an amazing antioxidant, prune works excellently to build up bones and reduces bone loss. It is also a good source of copper and boron which are trace minerals and work best for bone formation.
It is always recommended to eat about 2-3 dried plums everyday just by increasing its amount to get some extra benefits.
Some Healthy Tips
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Quit smoking as it reduces the density of bone and promotes bone loss.
- Avoid precooked packed food containing high sodium. Reduce the meat content as it reduces the calcium in the bones.
- Take vitamin D or calcium supplements after doctor’s advice. If possible take a proper sunbath.
- Cut down the consumption of caffeine and carbonated drinks as it reduces the calcium level in the body.
- Avoid stress and depression as it invokes the changes in hormones.
- Always keep an eye on your medications as some of them such as thyroid contribute a lot towards bone loss.
- Always take care while going from steps or walking as any sort of fall will result in fracture and worse conditions.
- Eat foods that are rich in calcium, magnesium, manganese, fatty acid, vitamin C, D and K.