Cough is a condition which can occur in any stage of life, in either genders and in any form. There are three main types which are categorized as mild, moderate and serious. Mild cough can be due to seasonal changes and have the tendency to get cured in less period of time. Moderate cough can happen due to influenza, adenoid disorder or upper respiratory infection. Serious type of cough is pretty risky and is regarded as life threatening.
In those three types of coughs, the one which occur after inhaling smoke is considered of lowest degree. The highest level of cough can be deadly. There are many causes and symptoms of cough. Each type of cough comes with its own complications and medical characteristics.
But, the best part about the mild and moderate type of cough is related to its treatment which can be done by the help of natural or home remedies. Some of the remedies include, honey and warm water intake, use of peppermint, ginger and garlic tea. Others can be read in the following portion of the article.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for a cough.
1. Honey and warm water
Honey is considered as an anti-bacterial and anti-infectious natural product. It has the ability to work against cough and give a better, soothing effect. Follow the steps below in order to get rid of cough.
- Take a mug of water and warm it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and mix it well in warm water.
- You can also add few drops of lemon to enhance its flavor.
- Take sips of it and hold it in throat for few seconds before gulping it down.
- Have this drink thrice a day to eliminate cough.
Peppermint is an herb which has the healing potency. It also gives soothing effect because it has the properties of menthol too. You can take help from this in form of tea which can be made through following process:
- Take ten to twelve fresh peppermint leaves and wash them nicely.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add peppermint leaves in the boiling water and let it remain there for one to two minutes.
- Have it with honey or sugar.
- This drink is highly effective if it’s taken at least twice in a day.
3. Salt water
Gargling water with salt in it helps to get rid of cough. It brings comfort in the throat. Salt water also helps in extricating phlegm. Here is what you need to do:
- Take a mug of lukewarm water.
- Add half teaspoon of salt in it.
- Mix it well. Make sure that the salt particles are dissolved.
- Gaggle, each time for 10 seconds.
- Spit the water out.
- Repeat till the mug is emptied.
- You can rinse your mouth with clean and plain water.
Steam has various advantages. It comes with the perfect package in which cure of cough and flu is also included. When we inhale steam it opens the pores of nose and loosen the clogged vessels along with the inflamed throat which results in cough. If you have cough and it is getting on your head you should and must try this home remedy:
- Bring 5 cups of water to boil.
- Once it is boiling, add few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Close the lid of the utensil in which you have boiled the water.
- Bring it to the safe place.
- Cover your head, neck and face with the help of towel (taken from the head).
- Open the lid of the utensil to half way.
- Let the steam pass directly to your nose.
- Inhale it slowly and be careful with the spill of water.
- Let it sooth your throat and nose for minimum ten minutes.
- Remove the towel. Wipe off the steam from your neck and face.
- Repeat the process once in a day if the cough is mild.
- You need to be extra careful with the water as it may spill which will give you instant steam burn.
- Also make sure that the utensil is kept a little far from your hands, face and chest.
5. Ginger tea
Ginger is an herb which has practical implications in the field of medical science. It does not only soothes sore throat but also gives solution to bad congestion and cough. To make the ginger herbal tea you will need a small piece of ginger (sliced or diced, any shape will do but its skin shouldn’t be removed), salt (one pinch), a cup of boiling water and half a teaspoon of honey (it is just for enhancing the flavor).
Follow the steps below to have an effective, soothing tea:
- Take ginger slices and add them in boiling water.
- Let it boil in it for a minute or two.
- Remove it from the stove.
- Have the drink with honey in it to improve the flavor.
- Drink this herbal tea at least twice in a day.
Garlic and honey have almost the same properties – anti-bacterial, antiseptic and anti-virus. Garlic does wonders in cough and through its help it becomes very easy to get rid of it. You will need:
- Take a cup of boiling water.
- Add crushed, sliced or grated 1 clove of garlic.
- Add one tablespoon of honey to make the taste better.
- Have this tea once in a day or as needed according to the severity of cough.
Cough can be taken care by onions as a home remedy. Its vapors helps in opening clogged nose and will give enough room to treat cough. This is what you will need to do:
- Squeeze onion and extract one teaspoon of juice from it.
- Add one and a half tablespoon of honey in that juice.
- Gulp this mixture in one go and then try not to drink water after it.
- Have it twice in a day for the best results.
Althaea officinalis is the real component of marshmallow. It is a flower which blossoms in summers. The usage of this herb’s dates back to old times. Marshmallows is taken as a safe treatment for the elimination of cough. It is available in medical drug stores and children are not advised to have it.
Since lemon has Vitamin C, it plays a role of treating cough, cold and flu. You can take lemon in the form of lemonade or by following:
- Take 3 table spoons of pure honey.
- Take one lemon’s juice.
- Mix both the ingredients to make a homemade cough syrup.
- Have half teaspoon of the mixture at a time.
- Take it four times in a day.
Thyme is an herb which plays an amazing role in the process of healing cough and cold. This helps in all types of cough, from mild to severe. You should do following to make its tea:
- Bring water to boil and add 5 to 6 leafs of thyme.
- Strain it into a cup and add half teaspoon of honey.
- Drink it twice in a day.