Acidity, a common problem faced by many people; teenagers, adults and even oldies. The question arises what exactly acidity is and how a person can cure himself from it. What measures are bound to be taken to avoid complexity of the situation? To begin with it is important to explain what it is. Acidity, in medical terms is also known as Acid Reflux Disease. It is formed because of couple of reasons. When stomach behaves abnormally and not the way it usually does, hiatal hernia takes place. This is the cause of acidity. According to physicians and doctors, acidity is more like wounds between the rib cage and chest.
The disease itself brings some dangerous points where the need of check-up becomes important. Too much snaking and stuffing tummy before going to bed, drinking carbonated drinks or consuming heavy amount of liquor and being obese can trigger acidity in a larger rate. Risk factors are usually developed when a person doesn’t take care of his health. However, triggering points are bit different from symptoms.
Bloating, vomiting, nausea and weight loss are said to be the signs and indications of acidity. Now, the question arises, how one can get benefited from its effects? Like always, there are two ways to deal with the situation. Firstly, take medical help and get drugs prescribed for yourself. Otherwise, if you believe in home remedies, go for them. They don’t react in your body and gives better outcomes as compared to medicated pills with compositions of different elements. Here, are 12 different home remedies which can reduce and finally eliminate acidity problem in your body.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has tendency to help in curing acidity. Although, it is acidic itself by nature but the alkalizing effect subsides it with positive reactions to the body. ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) is said to be the magical composition of nutrients which does not only help in curing acidity but is known for treating several other diseases too.
- Pour one teaspoon of ACV in a cup of water.
- Be sure about the cleanliness of water. It is preferred to use distilled one.
- Warm it in micro for less than a minute or take it without warming it.
- Obviously, you have to stir the solution and then drink it all the way to its end.
- Initially you might not like the taste; later your tate buds will get familiarized.
- Drink this solution daily in the morning, after having breakfast.
Buttermilk, skim milk with the addition of bacterial culture is full of lactose and lactic acid. It doesn’t only soothes acidity but also does wonders in the form of reducing heartburn. The best thing about buttermilk is its availability. Here, is how you can make buttermilk yourself.
- Pour one cup of milk in a container.
- Squeeze five lemon drops in the milk.
- In addition, you can include one teaspoon of white vinegar too.
- Let it remain together and sit in for about fifteen minutes.
- Milk will start forming cuddles and lumps. That is butter milk.
- Take fenugreek seeds and grind them nicely. The amount has to be one teaspoon.
- Add in little water to make paste out of it.
- Fill a glass with buttermilk.
- Add the mixture in glass where buttermilk is resting.
- Take one teaspoon of buttermilk just like that without anything.
- Repeat the procedure till the complaint persists.
This is a herb which is believed to have optimum potentials. It doesn’t only lessen acidity but also works on colic tummies. Knowing the fact that carminative mixture gives soothing effect, it gives hundred and one percent relief in acidity and gas.
- Take one clove and roast it in a pan.
- You can also fry it in one drop of oil.
- Then, dip it in honey or chew it the way it is.
- Take three cardamom and three cloves.
- Grind them nicely into a powder form.
- Take one pinch of this mixture once in the morning and once at bed time.
- You can also use it whenever you feel acidity or heartburn.
Acidity or acid reflux is a condition in which a person feels captivated by burning in the chest. To subside the burning and normalize it bananas can be useful. The reason is simply because it contains antacids which stimulates to the release of acidic properties in one’s body. Having a banana as it is without adding anything can be as good as making its combination with different fruits or things.
- Peel off banana’s skin.
- Cut it into thick pieces.
- Add it in a cup of milk.
- Put some sugar and blend it nicely.
- Banana shake is ready to be utilized.
- Peel off banana’s skin.
- Cut a small apple in cubes or shape of your choice.
- Add in some sugar, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze few drops of lemon.
- Toss it and have it as a fruit salad.
Treating acidity used to be considered a real hard job. However, things have become much easier because of the experimentation in the field of home remedies. Ginger is one of the helping agents of reducing acidity. It is because of the anti-inflammatory qualities. The main function of ginger is to stabilize and normalize acids which are produced in an empty stomach.
- Instead of taking and chewing a big block of ginger, cut it into small pieces. It is better to cut it into length wise and thinner the better.
- Chew the pieces well.
- Swallow the remains in the bin.
- Boil a cup of water and add one inch of ginger in it.
- Once water is boiled, add some sugar or honey.
- Pour ginger tea in a mug or cup with the help of strainer.
- Drink it every day, especially when acidity is shooting up. However, bear in mind that too much use of it can become troublesome. It is also recommended to have it in a semi-filled tummy.
6. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are also taken as herb in many French and Italian cuisine. Its use automatically flushes out toxins produced in unfilled stomach. Basil leaves are good for curing acidity because of its carminative and soothing effects. It is also taken as a home remedy for nausea, vomiting, gas and other stomach related medical conditions.
- The best way to utilize basil leaves is by chewing it nicely. Grind it well between your molars and enjoy the aroma plus taste.
- Make herbal tea out of basil leaves. How? Follow the steps below:
– Make normal tea, for which you boil water first.
– Add in some basil leaves. One to three basil leaves will suffice the need. You can make it strong by adding 4 to 5 leaves in one cup of water.
– Strain it in to a cup or mug.
– Add in some sugar or honey.
– Drink it once in a day as a preventive measure. You can also have it as soon as you find the first hint or indication of acidity.
Dispelling of gas, acidity issues and making digestive system healthier are some of the functioning of cinnamon. It has antacid which helps in performing its purposes in a better and easy way.
- First of all make cinnamon powder by grinding it in spices grinder, multi-purpose machine.
- Use it in following forms:
– Sprinkle it on a toast with honey and have it in breakfast.
– Warm a cup of water in microwave for a minute. Add a pinch or two in preheated water. Also include half teaspoon of honey. Drink it early in the morning before taking anything to eat or drink.
– Make tea out of cinnamon. For this you might not need cinnamon in a powder form. Simply boil water and add one stick of cinnamon. Let it simmer. Strain and add honey. Drink it for acidity and chronic colic pains.
– Add cinnamon powder in home-made salads or soups.
– Include it in your daily meals while cooking it at home.
Fennel seeds are also called “sonf”, an Asian herb. These are basically seed like herb which is used in sub-continental countries. It is believed and experienced by people that use of fennel seeds can help reduce acidity. Major reason for the cure through fennel seeds is the carminative and soothing properties. It also helps in releasing gas which is a major reason of acidity.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Ad din a pinch of fennel seeds.
- Strain the water.
- Cool it down and bring it to room temperature.
- Add in some honey to add taste.
- Drink it to cure acidity.
- Take a pitcher and fill it with boiled water.
- Add in two tablespoons of fennel seeds.
- 10 to 12 leaves of mints.
- Let it rest in it for 12 to 14 hours.
- Strain it after 14 hours.
- Drink this water throughout the day.
- Keep on filling it with fresh, room temperature water to end it at night.
- Repeat the process. You will feel tremendous change in the acidity problem.
9. Cold Milk
Normalization of acids in stomach are very necessary. When they are imbalanced and out of proportion acids starts reacting which later on develops into chronic, mild or average types of acidity. Milk can become very handy and easy home remedy to lessen the pain caused by acidity. Why it is good for acidity is because of the simple fact; it holds calcium which lessens the triggering effects of acidity.
- Warm a cup of milk.
- Add in some sugar or honey.
- Stir it well and drink it up.
- Instead of adding sugar or honey, you can pour some chocolate or strawberry syrup. Even maple syrup tastes good in warm cup of milk.
- Use milk in making pudding. Have few spoons of pudding. That also helps in eliminating acidity.
Alkaline properties are found in abundance in this one single food item. Jaggery also helps in digesting food, reducing acidity and working against toxic acids which are produced in several ways. However, this can be found in any Indian store and is not suitable for those who are diabetic.
- Suck a small piece of jaggery after meals.
- You can also heat it up for 30 or less than 30 seconds to make it a bit softer in texture.
- Once it becomes soft you can chew it.
- Having it after meals can subside acidity.
- It is not important to have it only when you already have acidity. You can also have it as a preventive measure.
11. Cumin Seeds
Acidity needs to be neutralized and balanced in every possible way. The best way, however, remains intact where home remedies comes into action. Cumin seeds, no wonder does wonders and can be taken to lessen or even eliminate acidity issue from its roots. This is what you can try too:
- Have a pinch of cumin seeds without anything.
- Gulp it down your throat.
- After gulping, drink water to make it pass down your throat.
- Another way is to make herbal tea. Boil water, add in half teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Let it simmer in for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain it.
- Add something to sweeten it. Sugar or honey can be used for this purpose.
- Drink it every day to subside acidity, digestive issues and colic pains.
12. Mint leaves (Pudina)
Mint leaves are mostly used in Asian countries. It is not only for soothing acidity but also to work in favor of other digestive issues.
- Herbal tea, yes! Once again herbal tea can benefit acidity.
- Take boiled or a cup of distilled water in a pitcher.
- Add a bunch of mint leaves.
- Rest it there for 5 to 6 hours.
- Drink it throughout the day.
- Keep filling it with distilled water so that it can go all the way to night.
- Repeat the procedure.
- Consume only this water if you have severe acidity.