Snoring is usually taken lightly but it can get highly irritating for people sharing the room with you. There are things you can do about it by getting to know how to stop snoring.
Most of the time, people don’t take serious enough to actually do something about it but did you know 75% of the people who snore suffer from obstructive sleep apnea? This means your breathing is uneven for a short period of time while you sleep which increases your risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.
If you don’t want to do it because you are not fresh when you wake up or you might develop heart disease, do it for your partner or for the person who shares the room with you. Very often, spouses tend to sleep in the other room because their partners snore.
Snoring occurs when the muscles in the roof of your mouth, tongue and throat relax. They get so relaxed that they eventually block the air passage and cause vibration when the air rushes in. the more blocked the airway, the more the vibration and the louder your snore.
Most of the products out there aren’t that effective but some lifestyle changes and natural ways can be of great help.
1. Nettle leaf tea
Is your snoring because of some allergy? At times, allergy can make your sinus passage inflamed resulting in sinusitis. You might start snoring too much. In that case, nettle leaf tea can prove to be extremely useful. Nettle leaves work as antihistamine. They help to get rid of congestion by preventing the release of histamine which is caused by allergens. Furthermore, the bioflavonoids open up the sinuses as well.
- Take a cup of hot water and add two teaspoons of dried nettle leaf.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes before straining it.
- Now you can enjoy your tea
- Consuming this warm tea before you go to sleep
During your allergy season, have two to three cups of this tea.
2. Mint tea
Mint tea is a great way to put a stop to snoring. It owes this quality to a component called menthol. Menthol helps to minimize the amount of mucous in the lung, thereby decreasing inflammation in the airway. Your body gets antioxidants, minerals and vitamins as a bonus.
- Take 10 to 12 fresh mint leaves.
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Add the leaves to the boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Add honey to enhance taste (optional)
- Inhale the steam of the hot fuming tea.
- Now slowly sip the mint tea.
- Drink this tea daily before going to bed.
Garlic is one of those hot foods which are known to minimize snoring to quiet an extent. Garlic minimizes mucus build up by drying up the nasal passages and air ways. This eventually prevents the sinus blockage. If you are someone who snores because of sinus blockage, then garlic could of great help because it also reduces enlarged tonsils along with inflammation in the respiratory tract. Other hot foods that can be useful to stop snoring are horseradish and onions.
- Take one or two raw garlic cloves and chew it before going to bed. You will enjoy an undisturbed sleep and also your partner.
- Add garlic to your daily cooking particularly dinner. One simple way of doing this is combine butter and crushed garlic and add it to your salad dressing.
4. Saline Water
Nasal congestion, infections, allergies and sinus problems can be a reason for your snoring. Health issues like cold can result in swelling in the inner lining of your nose causing the soft palate to vibrate. This vibration makes your snore. A saline spray can be of great use here as it can minimize the inflammation in your nose. Nasal spray in the market contains preservatives that can make even increase congestion. You can easily make a nasal spray at home and cure snoring.
- Take half a cup of water.
- Add quarter teaspoon of salt to it preferably canning salt without any anti-drying agent.
- Mix well and pour it into a spray bottle or a dropper.
- Drop in 2 to 3 drops of this saline water to each nostril right before going to bed.
- Use this water for five days and then make a new one. If any is left, just throw it away and start over by making a new one.
5. Clarified butter
Ayurveda believes that clarified butter also known as ghee contains healing and medicinal qualities. It is used to treat various ailments which includes snoring. Ghee helps to open your nasal passage which is otherwise blocked. This not only makes you snore less but also sleep better. A variety of ghee made out of Brahmi herb is thought to be more effective. It is made out of cow’s milk.
- Heat clarified butter.
- Pour 2 drops of this lukewarm butter to each of your nostrils by the help fo a dropper.
- Do this every day before you go to sleep and also in the morning right after you wake up.
6. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil contains natural anti-inflammatory qualities which minimizes inflammation in the inner lining of nostrils. It serves as a great snoring solution. If the reason for your snoring is an allergy, nasal congestion, dry air or cold, peppermiwnt oil can do the trick.
- Take a few drops of peppermint oil on your fingers and gently rub it into the lower part of your nostrils. Do this every day before going to sleep.
- Take a glass of water and add a drop of peppermint oil to it. Gargle with this solution and make sure you do not swallow this solution. Only gargle with it.
- Take some hot water and add few drops of peppermint oil in it. Inhale the steam of this water. Steam inhalation can be effective if your snoring is due to congestion or dry air. You can even use eucalyptus oil for the purpose.
7. Ginger Tea
Ginger is home to a lot of medicinal qualities including antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities. Ginger stimulates the production of saliva which forms a layer in the throat giving you a soothing effect. Adding honey to ginger further enhances the lubrication effect opening up the nasal cavity and minimizing swelling. This together aids in minimizing occurrence of snoring. The perfect way of utilizing ginger to quit snoring is drinking fresh ginger tea.
- To prepare ginger tea, take a cup of water.
- Add a piece of crushed ginger to it.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Allow it to steep for five more minutes.
- Strain the solution and add some honey
- Stir well and the tea is ready to be enjoyed.
- Have 3 to 4 cups of ginger tea in a day.
8. Olive Oil
Olive oil can help you reduce snoring but how? Snoring is often due to excessive tissues present at the back of your throat or nose. When these tissues block the airway, it results in snoring. If you think a little about it, olive oil simply keeps those tissues moist which results in lesser friction. This in turn helps the air to flow smoothly minimizing the possibility of snoring. Olive oil also tightens the muscles under the palate which becomes so relaxed that they block the airway causing vibration.
- Take one to two tablespoons of olive oil and take 2 to 3 sips of it.
- Repeat every day before you go to sleep.
- You can mix one-half teaspoon of both honey and olive oil each.
- Eat it every day before you go to bed.
9. Sage leaves
Sage leaves is a perfect herbal remedy which serves as an amazing snoring treatment. This herb contains antimicrobial, antidiabetic, antihypertensive and even anti-inflammatory qualities. This means it will reduce any existing inflammation in the nose and throat and eliminate mucus congestion blocking the air ways. It makes perfect sense to use sage leaves to stop snoring.
- Take a bunch of sage leaves.
- Boil one to two glasses of water.
- Add the sage leaves to the hot water.
- Strain the solution and allow it to cool.
- As soon as this herbal water is cool, gargle with it.
- Repeat every day before going to sleep.
- Warning: Do not opt for this remedy in case you suffer from any type of seizure disorder.
- Take a pot of water and boil it.
- Add a handful of sage leaves to it.
- You can also add one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. (optional)
- Cover your head with a tower and get your mouth close to the pot.
- Inhale this steam with both your mouth and nose.
10. Chamomile Flowers
Chamomile flowers not only have a soothing effect but they are anti-inflammatory which helps you stop snoring. It releases nervous tension and relaxes your muscles and nerves present in the throat aiding in better sleep quality. The best way to consume it is in the form of chamomile tea.
- To prepare chamomile tea, take a cup of water and let it boil.
- Add a teaspoon of chamomile flower petals or one chamomile tea bag.
- Allow it to simmer for few minutes.
- Leave for a few minutes before straining the tea.
- Add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this warm tea every day before going to sleep.
Some useful suggestions!
Here are a few changes in habits and lifestyle that can entirely stop your snoring:
- Cut down on alcohol as alcohol and sedatives relax your throat muscles blocking the airway and causing vibration which comes out in the form of snoring.
- Keep yourself well hydrated. When you drink less water, the secretion in your nose and the palate becomes stickier causing you to snore. Make sure you take ample fluids and water.
- Make it a point to exercise every day. Be it only for half an hour because exercise tones the muscles in your throat along with your legs, abs and arms.
- Quit smoking if you smoke too frequently. Smoking results in throat inflammation which makes the air passage narrow. It also leads to nasal congestion. Besides what good is smoking for anyways!
- Make sure you clean your bedroom regularly because who knows the allergy causing entity is present in your room. It could dust mites in your curtain, pillows or even bed that can result in swollen nose and throat tissues. Dust your room on a daily basis.
- You might have noticed that you have started snoring after you put on weight. Then lose weight. When you have more fat around your neck, it decreases the inner diameter of your throat resulting in snoring. This doesn’t mean slim people won’t snore.
- Keep a humidifier in your room. At times, dry air can be a cause of snoring. The steam from the humidifier will keep the air in your room moist.
- Keep your head elevated when you sleep. You can do that by keeping an extra pillow under your head. This will prevent nasal blockage.
- Sleep on the side instead of our back. When you sleep on your back, the soft palate and tongue collapse towards the back which causes vibration. Keep pillows on your side so that it prevents you from sleeping on your back.
- If you have noticed that you are snoring after taking a certain medication, then your snoring might be due to your medicine. There are medicines that increases muscle relaxation resulting in snoring. You can discuss with your doctor and ask him to recommend an alternative for it.
- Avoid taking fatty food before bed time. Fatty foods and large meals make your air passage narrow which leads to snoring.
- You can make use of nasal strips that can help you breath with ease while you sleep.
With these remedies for snoring, save your heart and marriage! The first thing you should do if you want to stop snoring is find out the underlying cause. It could be weak muscles of your throat, medicines, blocked air passage, nasal congestion and others. Once you know the cause, you can try these natural methods accordingly.