It feels so irritating to inhale with difficulty while you want to have a sound sleep at night. With a stuffy nose it gets so difficult to breathe the oxygen and one really needs to find a way to blow out all what is inside the nose. When the infection or germs of flu attack the immune system the nasal passage is the target where all the mucous gets accumulated. The sinuses present in the skull are also blocked really bad at times. This overall situation feels so irritable and because of the blockage one even experiences pain in that region.
There are medicinal treatments plus there is another line as well and that is the home remedies. Today this article holds knowledge for the later line of treatment, the home remedies for a stuffy nose. Find the best home remedies to suit yourself and implement them when needed.
11. Black Pepper
Black pepper are small little rounded bead like balls and hold a variety of health benefits. In its dried form black pepper is known as pepper corn.
These peppercorns are widely used in the grounded and crushed forms. They are mostly grounded freshly and used as a seasoning for different food items. Usage of black pepper is very commonly found in the countries like India.
Most of the food items cooked here have either black pepper in its uncrushed form or they use it in the grounded form and powdered form too.
Black pepper is basically carminative which means it helps in the elimination of formation of gas in the intestine. Black pepper helps to promote a better digestion and is good for the intestinal health. Besides this black pepper is also said to be good a anti-bacterial.
- It is said that black pepper is found to be good for the congested nose and chest.
- It is very simple t use it, one can take a small pinch of black pepper on palm.
- Then add a little sesame oil on the palm and mix it well.
- Apply this mixture under the nose and repeat it daily for better results.
10. Herbal Tea
There are a variety of herbal teas that work great for cough and flu. Herbs are a natural way to treat so many ailments. And most of the times these herbs only are enough to provide with the best of treatments. Now the tea discussed here is comprised of different spices and herbs to form a flu fighting herbal tea.
This herbal tea contains ingredients like lemon, ginger, cinnamon cloves, turmeric, honey and cayenne pepper.
Each of the ingredients has its own properties to help take part in the treatment of stuffy nose. Lemon contains vitamin C in it and this is very helpful in reducing the severity of flu. Cinnamon another ingredient is helpful in providing with the antioxidants. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory in nature that will help reduce inflammation caused due to flu and infection leading to stuffy nose.
- All the above given ingredients are boiled together in water except for honey.
- These ingredients are taken in a quantity like; 1 cinnamon stick, half a lemon juice, 1/4th inch of some fresh ginger, half tbsp of turmeric and one pinch of cayenne in almost 3 cups of water. You can pour honey to taste.
- For best results one must drink this tea, thrice daily.
Garlic is a spice used to flavor food items with its unique taste. This little spice contains of a bunch of cloves that are held placed together in a bulb. The whole assembly of cloves into a bunch is known as a bulb.
Garlic is known to reduce the risk of cardiac disorders and help with the reduction of cholesterol. The bad cholesterol in the body which is responsible for the blockage of arteries and the associated symptoms is known as low density lipid. Garlic helps to reduce this lipid form the arteries and helps to facilitate the cardiovascular system,
- Garlic is said to be another treatment in terms of home remedies for nasal congestion.
- Eating fresh cloves of garlic’s is one of the ways to use them, but as it has a very strong taste not everyone can follow this.
- Boiling two-three cups of water with three to four garlic cloves immersed in it is another home remedy in relation to garlic to treat nasal congestion.
“if you still are wondering on how to go about treating this irritating stuffy nose of your’s then take a look at this for some useful tips and home remedies.”
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
This easily available form of vinegar in the market is supposed to be helpful to treat the stuffy nose. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to be very common amongst individuals who are up for a weight loss regimen.
This is possibly because of the reason that apple cider vinegar helps to cut down the cholesterol form getting accumulated in the body. Lowering down the level of bad cholesterol is automatically a positive sign for the cardiovascular system. Hence apple cider vinegar could be a good form of home remedy for the ones who want to reduce their cholesterol easily form the body.
Apple cider vinegar also supports antioxidant properties and is supposed to be helpful to fight ailments and uplifting the immunity.
- Apple cider vinegar is supposed to clear the nose stuffed during flu and cold.
- It doesn’t taste good to intake apple cider vinegar on its own.
- Hence one could add two table spoons of apple cider vinegar in a warm glass of water and drink it.
- One could also add honey to it and make it taste better.
- Drinking this thrice a day would be really helpful.
This is another form of home remedy to help the nose get free from any mucous. Steaming is the most easiest and the most cheapest form of home remedy to treat the nasal stuffiness. This is nothing but boiling some water and letting the steam inhale in. This opens up the nasal passage and not only this steaming also helps to lubricate the respiratory tract.
- The procedure is really simple. Take about half a pot of water in which you boil the water and let it boil.
- Once it is boiled then take a large piece of cloth or and sit on a place where you can lean over the pot.
- Cover your head along with the pot and start inhaling the steam. You can take breaks if you think the temperature inside gets unbearable.
- For more better results you can also add carom seeds or ajawain in water. This will be more effective for the health.
- Taking steam twice a day would be a good practice to deal with the stuffy nose and its associated symptoms.
6. Nasal Irrigation
The other method that can help get rid of a blocked nose is saline irrigation of the nose. The mixture of salt and water will help to wash away the irritants present in the nasal passage. To perform this follow the below given functions.
- Take about 8 ounces of water and keep it on boil.
- Meanwhile it is boiling add 3 tea spoons of salt in it.
- Once boiled put it off the stove and let it cool down.
- Now pour this water in neti pot or a bulb syringe.
- Now hold one nostril and squirt the saline water solution in the other nostril. Let the water drain and repeat it with the other one similarly.
5. Warm Water
Warm water is another solution for a stuffy nose. Most of the times they say warm water and teas can help with a stuffy nose and the symptoms of flu very well. Apart from being a good solution for this, it is also known to provide a smoothing feeling to the throat which is infected. Besides drinking it warm water could be used in other ways as well:
- Placing a warm wet cloth on the face for several minutes is soothing.
- Besides if you are in the washroom, turn on the hot water shower for sometime or till the vapors develop and you can then inhale the warm vapors. This will also help soothen the nasal passage.
“Even if you have nothing available tonight to help your stuffy nose you can just go about giving it a good steam and have a nice sleep after that.”
Fenugreeks are tiny little seed like structures that are brown in colour. It is very famous about them that these little seeds help to neutralize diabetes in individuals. For this very reason it is highly recommended to the diabetic patients to have these seeds early after they wake up in the morning. The lactating mothers are also recommended to have these seeds as it helps them with better lactation.
- Fenugreek in case of nasal congestion helps to work because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- To make fenugreek tea, you just need to put a tea spoon of fenugreek seeds in some boiling water and let it stay there.
- When the water cools down a bit then you can strain before drinking.
- Taking this tea two to three times a day is recommendable.
3. Tomato Tea
This tea is an addition to the list of home remedies for stuffy nose. To make this tea follow the below given steps:
- Take a cup of tomato soup and in that add one table spoon of freshly chopped garlic.
- To this add about one table spoon of lemon juice a little hot sauce and a pinch a sea salt.
- Boil all these ingredients together and drink this spicy mixture twice daily for better results.
2. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is an essential oil which like any other essential oil has its own unique properties. But the property helpful here is that it’s anit-inflammatory in nature. Because of its decongestant properties eucalyptus oil can help with the nasal congestion reduction.
Apart from its discussion on its properties to help with decongestion, eucalyptus oil is also helpful in promoting a good sleep. Although lavender oil is the essential oil of choice in this regard but this is also helpful.
- One of the easiest and handy way of using this essential oil for nasal decongestion is by putting one or two drops of this oil on the handkerchief.
- Now this handkerchief could be inhaled time to time to breath in the aroma and the associated properties of this oil.
- Doing this few times a day is enough practice to have good results provided other treatments are also carried along with this.
1. Blow It Away
Yes, the easiest way and very convenient to do s blowing it all out of the nasal passage. But before doing it make sure you are not sitting in a crowd of people that would go awkward for them as well yourself too. But blowing away the nasal passage as much as possible is one of the effective ways to deal with this infection.
- One should not at all try and sniff back the mucous, because it is surely no use to keep the mucous inside your body when you actually need to excrete it out.
- Blowing it out as many times as possible is one of the best way to deal with a stuffy nose.
- If you have a stuffy nose, do not go for medicines at first as it is treatable by the home remedies.
- Do not give steam to children who are quiet young because of the risk of developing scaling.
- Besides children ladies who are expecting must also avoid steaming.