Every human foot consists of 100 muscles, 26 bones and many tendons and ligaments. Our poor foot withstands over 2265000 kg of pressure every day as 80 percent of the time when we are awake is spent on our feet. So it does not come as a surprise that from time to time our feet might end up hurting in places like toes, arches, ankle, soles, heels or other parts of the foot.
Foot pain can be caused by anything. Diseases such as diabetes and arthritis result in foot pain. Foot pain can also be caused when you don’t buy shoes that properly fit your foot, standing on your feet for a long time, strains, bone spur, excessive walking, hammer toe, plantar fasciitis, a fracture, poor posture, ingrown toenails, excess weight, mineral deficiency and even poor blood circulation.
What is really scary about foot pain is that it can restrict your mobility and make you entirely immobilized. You will not be able to move about on your own. You will need help and support of other people around you. Apart from just reading on for treatments you might want to prevent the symptoms and keep yourself from aching foot. Moreover, when your foot becomes sore, the way you walk or use your feet might change. This can lead to bunions or hammer toes.
The good news is that foot pain is something pretty common and most of the time it is not anything serious. It can be taken care of by using ingredients that are easily available at home. Here are the top 10 key home remedies to treat foot pain.
1. Hot and Cold Water Therapy
Hot and cold water therapy is an effective way of treating foot pain whose aim is the hydro-massage. The reason why we switch between cold and hot water is that heat in hot water facilitates the flow of blood and cold water minimizes inflammation. This alternative dilation and constriction of blood vessels in the feet enhances blood circulation. Hot and cold water therapy boosts the immune system and helps in getting rid body’s response to inflammation.
- Fill up a basin with cold water and another one with hot water. It should be hot enough for you to withstand it. Get a comfortable chair and sit on it. Immerse your feet in the hot basin for 5 minutes. This will relax the muscles and increase blood flow. After that immerse your feet in cold water for 2 minutes. Repeat doing this 2 to 3 times ending in the cold water basin.
- For best results, you can add 4 drops of rosemary oil, 4 drops of eucalyptus oil and 2 drops of peppermint oil in hot water basin. Instead of these oils, you can also pour in strong peppermint tea.
- Another method is to put your feet in the lukewarm water. Add half ounce arnica tincture in it. It will not only give you relief from pain but also stimulate blood flow.
- As an alternative, you can also switch between heat pad and an ice pack for up to 10 minutes. It will help in alleviating pain.
Among other treatments vinegar is used for, foot pain caused by strains or sprains is one of them. It is effective because it minimizes inflammation.
- Fill a tub with hot water and pour in 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Additionally, you can add Epsom salt or sea salt in it. If you can’t find those just use table salt. Immerse your feet in this solution for up to 20 minutes.
- Take 2 containers and pour in equal amount of water and vinegar. In one container, make the solution using hot water and in another, make it using cold water. Now dip the towel in the hot solution and squeeze out excessive water. Wrap this wet towel around the foot for 5 minutes. Repeat this with the cold solution. Repeat it 3 to 4 times every day.
3. Epsom Salt
Owing to Epsom salt’s soothing and healing qualities, it works well with foot pain too. It helps to reduce any kind of swelling and inflammation. It wards off infections and treats wounds that might be the cause of foot pain.
- Fill a tub with warm water.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt and Mix well.
- Immerse your feet in it for up to 15 to 20 minutes.
Note: Salt tends to make your skin dry. Use a moisturizer afterwards.
4. Ice Compress
Ice therapy serves the foot with swelling and pain well. Ice compress helps to relax and alleviate pain as it constricts the nerves that might be inflamed. It makes the nerve endings numb in areas that are painful.
- Take an ice pack gently apply it over the affected areas. In case you don’t seem to have an ice pack, you take some ice cubes and wrap them in gauze or cotton. Then massage your foot with it. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes.
- As an alternative, you could also use a bag of frozen vegetable that is covered with a thin towel.
Note: Doing this for more than 15 minutes could result in nerve or skin damage.
5. Clove Oil
Clove oil aids in relaxing muscles of the feet and stimulates blood flow. Clove oil is also used to treat a number of other ailments like joint pain, nail fungus and athlete’s foot. If your skin is sensitive or you happen to have a cut, you can dilute the clove oil by adding either a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.
- Take some clove oil and gently massage your feet and heels with it. It will relax the muscle and enhance blood flow.
- Repeat it several times every day.
6. Cayenne Pepper & Hot Water
Cayenne contains a very effective ingredient called capsaicin which is a true natural analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent. This is the reason why there are many capsaicin creams and ointments available to apply on foot and different parts of the body to keep a check on inflammation and pain. It provides the painful feet some relief from muscle strains, muscle pains, arthritis, lower back pain and even painful feet.
- Put some cayenne pepper powder on your feet and either cover it with socks or gauze. You might feel some irritation and burning sensation, but that is nothing to worry about.
- Take a bucket and fill it half with bearable hot water. Put a ½ tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder in it. Immerse your feet in the water to attains some relief from pain and enjoy a soothing effect.
7. Sage Leaves & Apple Cider Vinegar
Are you feeling pain in your foot because of soreness, sprain, strain or a cut? Thanks to sage leaves as they will help you find relief. They also help to get rid of foot odor.
- Take some sage leaves and rub them with your hand before putting them in a pot.
- Add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar it and allow it to boil.
- As soon as it boils, keep it on low flame for up to 5 minutes.
- Dip a piece of cloth in the warm liquid and apply it on the affected areas.
- Repeat this for a number of times.
Eating asparagus is an excellent way of reducing inflammation since it known to be a natural diuretic which means it will increase the volume of urine. This way it flushes out excess water from your body and minimizes any kind of inflammation there is. Asparagus is a remarkable remedy if the foot pain is related to edema or any kind of inflammation.
To reap its benefits all you have to do is steam the root for some time and eat it. Repeat this every day.
9. Mustard Seeds
Mustard seeds act as a powerful detox. They aid in detoxifying your joints and muscles by getting rid of toxic water present in your body. It also stimulates blood circulation, gives relief from swelling and removes inflammation along with pain.
- Grind a handful of mustard seeds.
- Add this to a bucket containing water ranging from warm to hot.
- Immerse your feet in this hot solution for 15 minutes and then dry your feet.
- You can also prepare a dressing for your foot. Make a paste of mustard seeds by adding some water. Apply this paste to your feet. Use gauze to cover it. Let it remain for up to 30 minutes.
10. Essential Oils
A combination of essential oils can be a real treat for aching feet. Essential oils aid in relaxing sore, tired and aching feet.
- Take a bucket and fill it 1/4th with hot water.
- Pour in four drops of each eucalyptus and rosemary oil along with 2 drops of peppermint oil.
- Soak your feet in it for at least 15 minutes.
If you are feeling pain in your foot ever again, try making using of these easy home remedies. In case, you don’t find relief and the pain is too much for you to bear, go see a doctor immediately.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
19 Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea
Research has shown that things beneficial for the heart are usually good for the brain, as our brain needs active…
Understanding the Health Benefits of Rhinoplasty Surgery
In 2019, more than 200,000 American men and women chose to have rhinoplasty surgery. Commonly called a nose job, many…
15 Health Benefits Of Aloe Vera You Never Knew
Aloe Vera is more like a miracle plant where you see it growing in the harshest of situations you place…
20 Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has a strong aroma. This healthiest herb can be used as dried, powdered, fresh, juice, oil or pickle form….