A dry, scaly, swollen, sore or cracked lip is a problem commonly encountered by many usually in the winters or dry season. Dry or chapped lips not only look unpleasant but they are also really painful.
Chapped lips do not give off any warning before manifesting. Some of the indicators experienced by people suffering from chapped lips are flaking, redness, cracking, dryness, sore or tender lips. On the other hand, some of the common reasons for chapped lips are allergic reaction, dehydration, certain medications, ill-fitting dentures, excessive licking of lips, lip biting, harsh weather, exposure to sun radiation and vitamin (Omega-3 fatty acids and other essential nutrients), iron or essential fats deficiency.
Dry lips sometimes even split and bleed causing immense pain. Some people believe that chapped lips occur only in the winters but the fact is it can happen any time of the year until and unless they are given the amount of care they require.
Although chap sticks are commonly thought to be a cure for dry and chapped lips but the truth is they contain chemical that can infect split skin which is the reason home remedies can stand out to be a wonderful alternative.
Here are the top 10 home made remedies Chapped Lips to give you soft, shiny and supple lips.
Exfoliation is a great way for renewing your natural softness and sugar happens to be a natural softener. All you have to do is scrub off dead layers of lips exposing your lip’s natural color. Sugar scrub acts as a natural exfoliator making your lips soft and tender.
- Combine 2 teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoon of sugar.
- Add some drops of olive oil and mix properly to make a paste.
- Using your fingers scrub the paste over your lips gently. This will wear off the dead cells.
- Using lukewarm water, wash it away.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil to small amount of sugar. (it will soften your lips)
- Mix properly and scrub your chapped lips gently.
- Let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this to get rid of chapped lips sooner.
Honey acts as a natural antibacterial agent and has inherent moisturizing property which is great for healing and curing chapped lips. All you have to do is coat your chapped lips with honey many times in a day. Another way of using honey is by mixing it with glycerin which protects and nourishes the skin.
- Mix glycerin and honey to make a paste.
- Use it before sleeping at night. Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- By using a damp cloth you can remove it
- Doing this regularly for a week will give good effects.
3. Rose Petals
Rose petals not only make your lips hydrated but also contain skin lightening properties. It will help your chapped lips get back its natural pink color and smooth texture. It also adds to the gloss and shine of lips. You can pluck rose petals from a rose plant in your back yard or buy it from a flower stall.
- Soak rose petals in water.
- Take a small bowl and dip rose petals in raw milk for some hours.
- The resulting smooth paste can now be applied on lips.
- Keep the paste on lips for 10 to 20 minutes before washing off with cool water.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day.
Note: glycerin can act as a good substitute for raw milk.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil acts as a natural moisturizing agent which makes it effective for healing chapped lips due to dry weather or cold. Coconut oil consists of great amount of essential fatty acids which helps in keeping the areas affected moist.
- Coat your lips with pure coconut oil at least twice a day to get the desired result.
- Apply this many times a day to keep the lips moist always.
- Do this regularly until healed.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil also consists of good amount of essential fatty acids. It is also yet another good treatment for chapped and dry lips. You can directly apply castor oil to your chapped lips everyday several times.
- Mix one teaspoon of glycerin, one teaspoon fresh lemon juice and one teaspoon castor oil.
- Coat your lips with it before going to sleep.
- Dip a cotton ball in warm water and wash it off
- Do this regularly until your lips are cured.
6. Milk cream
Milk cream is a great natural lip moisturizer due to high content of fat in it. It helps to loosen and eliminate the dead skin and is a perfect skin softener.
- Coat your lips with fresh milk cream
- Keep it for up to 10 minutes.
- Dip cotton ball in warm water and gently wash it off removing any trace of milk left.
- Applying it daily will give you faster results
Note: This is a great remedy for severely dry lips.
7. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera has long been known for its healing qualities. It helps to safeguard the thin protective layer of oil on lips which helps a great deal in healing chapped lips. Even though the taste and smell of Aloe Vera is not that good, its healing properties are indubitable. Its antiflammatory properties give a soothing and cooling effect along with alleviating pain. On the other hand, its hygroscopic property keeps the lips moist. You can even grow this plant at home, pluck its leaf and smear its gel on your lips.
- Pluck a leaf from Aloe Vera plant.
- Squeeze to take out its gel.
- Apply small amount of this gel on your lips.
- Wash it with cool water.
- Do it every day to get rid of chapped lips.
Cucumber is a cool vegetable and an extremely effective treat to your chapped lips. It consists of skin lightening properties as well which assists in diminish dark patches on your lips. Cucumber juice helps to relieve discomfort caused by dry lips leaving you with soft and supple lips.
- Slice out a piece of cucumber and rub it gently on chapped lips.
- Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Repeating this several times will fasten the healing.
9. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly gives complete protection and nourishment which is why it is used by many people usually in winters or springs. Using it several times each day along with once before sleeping is bound to give good results.
- Coat your lips with honey.
- Leave it for few seconds to dry.
- Put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on honey.
- Leave it for few minutes.
- Removing it by dipping cotton ball in warm water.
- It is recommended to use twice a day.
Note: Apply petroleum jelly by any of the above methods at night and wake up with soft lips the next day.
The best policy for all dermal issues is hydrate yourself. Drinking lots of water assists in expelling toxins present in your skin leaving your skin supple and soft. Lack of water is one of the major reasons to chapped and dry lips. For smooth lips and healthy body, drinking 10 to 12 glasses of water every day is a must. Moreover, hydrating effect of the water also helps to find relief from pain. Water helps the body to perform its chemical processes to rejuvenate and repair.
What to do?
- Begin your day with one or two glass of water before you eat or drink.
- Drink at least one glass of water before going to bed as well.
Try out these remedies and get rid of chapped lips!