- 1 What Is A Boil?
- 2 Difference Between Boils And Carbuncles:
- 3 What Causes Boils?
- 4 Boils And Their Symptoms:
- 5 Treatments For Boils:
- 6 Home Remedies For Boils:
- 7 1. Bacon
- 8 2. Corn Meal
- 9 3. Jelly Jar
- 10 4. Parsley Leaves
- 11 5. Bread Poultice
- 12 6. Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
- 13 7. Echinacea, Pasque Flower and Poke Root Tea
- 14 8. Eucalyptus Oil
- 15 9. Marshmallow
- 16 10. Epsom Salt
- 17 Can Boils Be Prevented?
- 18 When To See A Doctor?
What Is A Boil?
There is nothing to worry about boils as they happen to appear for some reason. It starts off with some infection which takes its form in the follicle of hair. It can also occur in the glands from where oil is released in the body. How it takes its form can be the next question which you have in mind. Well, its root is the oil gland or the hair follicle which releases infection. This makes the surface or the skin go red and the soft bumpy and swollen elevation is noticed on the skin. Pus accumulates under the red swollen surface of the skin and changes from red to somewhat yellowish and whitish. This all takes around a week to emerge.
Where do these boils occur and how can you take care of them can be your next questions about boils. To answer the first part, it develops in some common places which include: armpit, shoulders, face and neck. Even hips, thighs and in the least possible condition in the under thighs are the favorite spots for the hideaways of boils.
There is something similar in this regard which is known as carbuncle. This is the net or collective appearance of boils in one group. Like it sounds, this condition is of next degree and should be taken care of in a separate and good manner.
Difference Between Boils And Carbuncles:
- Boils are smaller in size as compared to carbuncles.
- Carbuncles have different spouts of pus whereas, boil has only one mouth to let pus drain outside.
- Redness and tender swollen pimple is the first stage of boil. Although, it spreads quickly.
- Carbuncles are contagious and boils aren’t.
- Males are prone towards carbuncles whereas, boils can appear on either gender.
What Causes Boils?
There are various common causes of boils. Here are the causes for common boils:
- Firstly, hair follicles give room to the germ named staphylococcal bacteria. This bacteria goes down the root of the skin and starts giving you the tough time.
- If you are prone or already have one or more of the following health conditions, you are unluckily a very likable victim of boils:
- If your immunity is weak or you have lower immune system then you are the favorite victim of boils.
- Sugar also known as diabetes.
- Bad eating habits which is a mixture of oily and junk food is the best way to attract boils.
- Not changing clothes or cleaning yourself every day is another jackpot to attract boils.
- Chemicals and their side effects on skin.
- Exposure of allergic cosmetics.
- Use of wax in the inner thighs, upper lips, eye brows and forehead can be the cause of boils.
- Not being able to avoid from sleeping with different women can bring diseases and boils in the odd places.
- If you already have any skin problem like that of eczema, you have more tendency to get boils.
- Obesity can cause boils. Sweat stays for longer time in the joints which allows the oil to release more and finally get boils.
- Any sort of illness which makes you bed sick can cause boils.
Boils And Their Symptoms:
Symptoms of boils are linked with following:
- Red pimple like appearance on the skin.
- Lump appears on that red spot.
- The spot enlarges in next few days.
- The swollen lump is harder in the start and get softer and tender after maximum 48 hours.
- The enlarged red spot turns yellowish and contains pus in it.
- Infections can be noticed in:
– Warmness around the boil.
– Pain and irritation.
– Several other boils happen to appear around that one boil.
– You mostly have temperature, minimum 100 degree Fahrenheit.
Treatments For Boils:
Boils aren’t anything to worry about but should be treated well by the help of best dermatologist in the city. This is what the specialized doctor may do:
Physical Examination on you:
Physical examination gives a proper and clear idea to the doctors. They will check the color and other things on the boils which will help in going to the treatment part.
Treat you through medicines:
Antibiotics are prescribed for the elimination of boils. To give the most suitable medicine, doctors get the blood samples.
Blood tests will be run on your body only is there is something to fret or worry about. These tests will help the doctor determine about the severity of the issue. Bacteria culture test is usually done through the help of blood test. This assists doctors to know about the bacteria and its kind.
Home Remedies For Boils:
Home remedies makes lives easy as we don’t have to run to see a doctor instantly. All the ingredients are either found in the natural drug store or grocery shops. Each home remedy plays a good role in the elimination of boils. The following home remedies are the collection of some natural things which include flowers and herbs as well as basic ingredients like salt. Try one or all of the home remedies to come out of pain caused by boils.
Here are the top 10 Home Remedies For Boils.
Bacon is said to have the antiseptic agents which can help in reducing pain and bringing relief on the boils. Do the following steps in order to get rid of boils:
- Take a clean piece of bacon.
- Swirl it on a plate of salt in it.
- Take a fabric which can hold it up nicely.
- Put the piece of bacon in the middle of the cloth.
- Place it on the boil directly.
2. Corn Meal
With the properties of healing, corn meal makes the boils pain less and bring out pus when it is seemingly difficult. Do this:
- Bring a cup of water to boil.
- Add one tablespoon of corn meal in it.
- Make the thick consistency of water.
- Take that paste like liquid and place it on each boil.
- To make it work effectively, wrap it round with the cloth.
- Pus will leak out in a day or two.
- Till then, keep on repeating the process.
- Best results are when you do the procedure thrice in a day.
3. Jelly Jar
Jelly jars does wonders on the boils.
- Boil an empty cup in the container.
- Use some kind of spatula or thong to take that cup out.
- Put it directly on the boil.
- This tip will help pus to leak.
4. Parsley Leaves
Parsley leaves are best for making a poultice. Do following;
- Boil water.
- Add few leaves of parsley.
- Take the leaves out.
- Wrap them around the cloth.
- Place it directly on the boil.
- Make sure that the leaves have direct contact with the boil.
- Repeat thrice a day without fail.
5. Bread Poultice
Make bread poultice by:
- Soak a slice of bread in warm milk.
- Without squeezing it, put directly on the boil.
- Wrap cloth or bandage around it.
- Repeat it twice to thrice times in a day.
6. Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
Circulation of blood and the release of pus is possible with the help of nutmeg.
- Boil half cup of milk.
- Cool it down for 5 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of nutmeg powder in the milk.
- Mix it well.
- Add one teaspoon of sugar.
- Drink the drink and help yourself from the prevention of boils.
7. Echinacea, Pasque Flower and Poke Root Tea
Make tea by:
- Boil water.
- Add 2 tablespoon of wild indigo flower.
- One tablespoon of Echinacea.
- Also add Pasque flower and poke root (one tablespoon each).
- Drink this tea.
- Direct application on boils can also help in fixing boils.
8. Eucalyptus Oil
Make an ointment by:
- Take half a cup of boiling water.
- Add powdery slippery elm (20 grams).
- Also add few drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Apply the ointment type mixture on the boils directly.
- Repeat it thrice in a day.
- Pus will flow out in almost 5th time.
- Take few leaves of marshmallow.
- Put it for several minutes in boiling water.
- Drain out the water.
- Put the leaves on the cloth.
- Place it directly on the boil.
10. Epsom Salt
Skin problems and conditions are very likely solved by one home remedy. Salt is found in every home and you can take its help to get rid of boil.
- Tub should be filled with bearable hot water.
- Add several tablespoons of Epsom salt in it.
- Sit in it for half an hour.
- The salt will allow the boils to get soothed and the pus will release from them.
Can Boils Be Prevented?
Boils are not life and death situations and aren’t very problematic until they are not taken care. Prevention is better than the cure and it is always wise to take care of things before they go real bad. As the answer to the heading, yes boils can be prevented by the help of following some rules. Use following tricks and guidelines to get yourself away from boils:
- Wash clothes with good detergent.
- Bedding and other personal clothing like lingerie should be cleaned separately.
- Never use someone else’s personal stuff (towel, comb, tooth brush).
- Treat boils delicately without going hard on them.
- Take care of cleanliness.
- Eat good food which is not very oily.
When To See A Doctor?
Boils aren’t very complicated but you should see a doctor under following conditions:
- If you have diabetes.
- Your heart beats fast or in scientific term has palpitation accompanied with heart murmurs.
- Have issues with the immune system.
- If some medication is leaving its side effects in the shape of boils.
- Constant fever which is more than 101 degree Fahrenheit.
- Couple of boils appear one after other in the same surrounding of the first boil.
- Pus doesn’t flow out.
- Your lymph nodes are swelled up.
- Redness turns into any other color.
- Pain becomes unbearable or increases as days passes.
Once you have seen a doctor for the boils, you should follow up with the doctor. It is because, the doctor will treat the boil or boils in his own way. He will clean up the area which is infected and will apply antibiotic ointment on them. He might do bandage too.