Conjunctivitis and allergies are the symptoms of itchy eye. Where conjunctivitis with allergy is mostly found in adults and not children. However, it has the potential to occur in any age. Other symptoms may vary with the intensity of itchiness.
Allergic conjunctivitis is of two kinds; first kind is related to periodical or seasonal (allergic) conjunctivitis and the other is perennial (allergic) conjunctivitis. First type is related exposure of pollen, grass, weed or any other particle related to grass. Other type which is perennial conjunctivitis appears after years of exposure of dust, mold and pet dander.
Other diseases which may cause itchy eyes are blepharitis and dried eyes. That way, professional help may solve the problem of itchiness in eyes. Consult a doctor or eye specialist when you are facing serious issues with itchy eyes. If not, then try at least one of the remedies which are mentioned below. Here are the top 10 home remedies or natural remedies to help you sooth itchiness in eyes or itchy eyes.
1. Cold Milk:
Cold milk serves the purpose of treating itchy eyes without any complications or side effects. It leaves soothing effect on the eyes which are irritated, itchy and dry. You need to do following things to get rid of itchy eyes by the help of cold milk:
- Take a clean cotton ball or a piece of it. Drop it in the chilled milk and clean the dripping milk.
- Place it on your eyes and let it remain there till it loses its cold effect.
- Doing it twice, at morning and night will help you reduce eye itchiness.
2. Cucumber slices:
Some vegetables and fruits have natural anti-irritation qualities which help to recover from rashes, pimples and other conditions and diseases. One of those veggies is cucumber. It helps in reducing and finally eradicating puffiness, swelling, irritation and inflammation in an itchy eye.
You must be thinking what actually makes this wonder happen. Here is the technique:
- Wash a cucumber thoroughly and remove all sort of dirt from it.
- Cut them into thick slices.
- Let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Place it on your itchy eye or both the eyes for 8 to 10 minutes.
- For best results repeat the procedure at least 5 times in a day.
3. Saline Water:
Saline water is accessible in every medical and drug store. This actually helps in treating itchy eyes because it washes away the remains collected in eye. Another function of saline water is to rinse the eye effectively. Moreover, it has an antibacterial properties which works against bacteria.
If you want to peek into the secret on getting rid of itchy eyes, you must follow these steps:
- Boil one cup of water with one teaspoon of iodized salt.
- Keep it boiling till salt is dissolved and you see nothing in the water.
- Cool it off, then place it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Wash your eyes with this mixture.
- Repeat thrice a day for next 3 to 4 days.
4. Rose Water:
Rose water has effective effect on itchy eyes. With the soothing and comforting result it brings reduction in the irritation, swelling, puffiness and itchiness in one’s eye or eyes. But you need to make sure that the water which you are using is pure and organic. Follow the tips mentioned below to bring the maximum sootiness in the effected itchy eye.
- Take rose water in a dropper.
- Squeeze it out in an open eye.
- Put maximum three and minimum one drop in the effected eye.
- Try to take someone’s help if needed.
- This will give you relief instantly.
5. Raw Potatoes:
Potatoes and cucumbers give almost the same relief from itchiness and inflammation in eyes. What actually makes it that way is because of the quality it possesses. It has anti-inflammation properties which enables the person to get rid of itchy eyes. Follow the tips mentioned below for a better and healthier eyes:
- Clean potatoes thoroughly. Remove all the spots and stains.
- Cut them into slices without peeling it off.
- Place it in the fridge for half an hour.
- Put the cool, chilled slices of potatoes on your itchy eyes.
- Its daily use will help you to get rid of itchy eyes in less than 48 hours.
6. Green Tea:
Green tea helps n reducing itchiness, it is one of the best ways to deal with it. You should:
- Make green tea in a cup of water by the help of green tea bag.
- Drink the tea.
- Place the tea bag on your eyes for ten minutes.
- Make sure that the tea bag is cooled off before it is placed.
7. Aloe Vera:
If you have problem with your eye in terms of soreness, itchiness and dryness then Aloe Vera comes as a rescue. With its moisturizing qualities it helps you to get rid of all what makes you feel irritated around the eyes. Follow the tips below to help yourself:
- Take pulp of aloe Vera.
- Mix it with one teaspoon of honey.
- Also add one and a half cup of elderberry blossom tea.
- Wash and rinse your eyes with the solution for three times in a day.
- For best result, continue this process for 3 days.
8. Castor Oil:
Castor oil has the healing characteristics and it also removes dirt from your eyes which helps in getting rid of itchy eyes. To get rid of itchy eyes you should do following:
- Take a dropper and wash it with soap to make it germs free.
- Take castor oil into the dropper.
- Put one drop of castor oil in both eyes.
- Repeat it thrice in a day, preferably in the morning, evening and night.
9. Chilled Bread:
To make your eyes fresh and healthy as ever, you need to trust on this home remedy in which you will be using any type of bread. However, white bread would be recommended. You need to do following to reduce itchiness in your eyes:
- Take one slice of refrigerated white or any kind of bread.
- Place it directly on your effected eye.
- Let it rest over there for ten minutes.
- Rinse your eye with cold water.
- Repeat the process twice in a day.
10. Cooking with Turmeric:
Turmeric is a herb and is used in eastern part of the world. It has curcumin which acts as a decongestant and helps in reducing signs of allergy. This can heal itchy eye. What you can do is to:
- Make turmeric powder or purchase ready made turmeric powder.
- Make any curry with turmeric powder in it.
- Have it daily.