Toothache, generally known as pain in the tooth is an oral condition which may persist because of certain reasons. These causes can be a simple knock out on your teeth which results in bleeding or as crucial as root canaling. It is said that toothache is very tough on people and leaves its victim after a lot of mess. However, others have also shown and proved that some medicines and home remedies work on them super fast.
What is toothache or what really makes it happen? Well, toothache is pain in or around tooth which can occur because of any or all of these reasons:
- When filing in the tooth is removed.
- Before, middle and after root canal surgery.
- Gums which are inflected with infection.
- It is also possible because of fracture in the tooth.
- Decaying of tooth also causes toothache.
Having said that home remedies have made an impact on endurance level, they are believed to do wonders. Some of the remedies revolve around salt, cloves, hydrogen peroxide and ice cube. In short, you will get 24 easy and convenient home remedies to reduce toothache.
- 1 1. Pepper and salt
- 2 2. Garlic cloves
- 3 3. Onion
- 4 4. Asafetida
- 5 5. Warm salt water
- 6 6. Guava leafs
- 7 7. Vanilla extract
- 8 8. Wheatgrass juice
- 9 9. Ice cubes
- 10 10. Soothe with tea
- 11 11. Rinse with hydrogen peroxide
- 12 12. Wash it with myrrh
- 13 13. Distract with vinegar and brown paper
- 14 14. Tea tree oil
- 15 15. Bourbon-soaked cotton ball
- 16 16. Alcohol
- 17 17. Oil of oregano
- 18 18. Apple cider vinegar
- 19 19. Ginger root
- 20 20. Potato
- 21 21. Lime
- 22 22. Plantain
- 23 23. Cucumber
- 24 24. Clove oil
1. Pepper and salt
Salt and pepper have basic properties which eliminates toothache. The characteristics which work on tooth helps in working on inflammation and bacterial growth. These two ingredients also have analgesic qualities which helps in reducing toothache.
- Take a small container to mix ingredients well.
- Add half teaspoon of salt.
- Another half teaspoon should be of pepper.
- Mix them well and form thick paste with few drops of water.
- Apply this paste on the tooth which aches.
- Let it remain there for several minutes.
- Rinse your mouth after some time.
- Repeat it thrice in a day for at least a week.
2. Garlic cloves
Garlic have those little segments and portions which separate them from each other. These partitions and divisions are called garlic cloves. They are beneficial in reducing toothache. Why it is so is not tacky. Garlic cloves have antioxidant, antibacterial and anesthetic properties. All these qualities help in reducing toothache efficiently.
- Take 2 garlic cloves and crush them till they are in form of thick paste.
- Add 3 to 4 drops of olive oil.
- Mix it well.
- Dab cotton ball in the oil and let it soak it.
- Keep this cotton on the affected tooth.
- Let it rest there for maximum hours.
- Repetition of this remedy will help you reduce toothache in less time. It is advised to do the same thing every day for at least 3 consecutive days.
Antimicrobial traits in any food ingredient helps in relieving pain in your tooth. If that ingredient also have the antiseptic properties then the combination is a killer. Fortunately, onion possesses both the characteristics and are said to be best home remedy for toothache.
- Take an onion.
- Peel off the layers.
- Take a small portion of that layer and place it on the tooth which is causing pain.
- You can also have it raw or drink its juice to taper off toothache.
- Repetition of this home remedy should be done at your own risk. It is recommended to redo the act only thrice in a week.
It is a herb which is used in medications and some people use it in cooking too. Asafetida is said to be the healing agent of bleeding gums and aches related to teeth.
- Take half teaspoon of asafetida powder.
- Mix it in quarter teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix it well to form thick paste.
- Take a small cotton ball and soak the mixture.
- Put it on the tooth which is giving you hard time.
5. Warm salt water
Salt extracts pain from the place which gives you hard time. It also has the magnificent properties of decaying bacterial growth and also works great with inflammation. Do following and get yourself relieved instantly.
- Take a cup of water and put it on stove.
- Turn off the stove once water starts to simmer.
- Don’t bring it to the boiling point, only make it hot enough to bear.
- Add one teaspoon of salt (common or iodized, it’s up to you) in the water.
- Gaggle with the help of this water.
- Repeat it thrice in a day till pain is worn off.
6. Guava leafs
This is a home remedy which would be loved by those who like to munch leafs. Guava leafs gives soothing affect and are considered good for toothache.
- Take few guava leafs.
- Clean and wash them.
- Dry them with the help of paper towel.
- Chew them nicely, let’s say 20 times.
- Then throw these chewed leafs in the dustbin.
- Don’t swallow them.
7. Vanilla extract
Are you looking for a home remedy which reduces pain in very first time of its application? If so, try this remedy in which vanilla extract is used to give you instant relief and soothing effect.
- Take 3 to 4 drops of vanilla extract in a cotton.
- Place this cotton ball or piece on the tooth which is giving you pain.
- Let it remain there for several minutes.
- Repeat the process once or twice in a day.
8. Wheatgrass juice
Wheatgrass has some similar qualities which eliminates toothache. It has properties to cleanse your mouth from bacteria which grow very, very fast.
- Take some wheatgrass.
- Add water and sugar in it.
- Drink as it is and wait for the miracle to occur.
- You can also use this juice as a mouthwash if you have some kind of issue with drinking.
9. Ice cubes
Ice cubes gives the perfect feel of relaxation and gives proper way out to deal with toothache.
- Take five or six ice cubes and put them on a clean cloth.
- Wrap those cubes in the cloth.
- Place it on your cheek exactly where the ache occurs. Mind, it is not supposed to be kept on tooth directly.
- Repeat it once in a day for better results.
10. Soothe with tea
Tea works as a warm or hot compressor which elevates soothing effect and cuts down pain. Any warm liquid can be taken as a home remedy for toothache.
- Make a cup of tea, the normal way you do.
- Sip it slowly.
- For best and quick results, sip tea when it is hot and keep it in the position where tooth is aching.
- Repeat as many times as you want but make sure that you don’t have acidity problem.
11. Rinse with hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has the antibacterial tendency to remove pain from your tooth. It also have other properties which are known best for taking care of toothaches. Hydrogen peroxide can be utilized in the form of mouth wash. To make your own mouthwash, follow the instructions below:
- Take a cup of sterilized water.
- Add 2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- Place the mixture in a bottle.
- Shake it enough to mix these ingredients of the mouthwash.
- Rinse your mouth after every meal, before and after waking up.
- If you want to reduce toothache quickly, you better repeat the process.
12. Wash it with myrrh
Myrrh essential oil helps in reducing and then finally removing pain on your tooth. How you can help yourself in reducing pain through the help of myrrh essential oil is simple. Try this remedy now!
- Take few drops of myrrh essential oil.
- Mix it in clean water, approximately 40 ml.
- Use it as a mouthwash.
- Gaggle it before going to sleep and after waking up in the morning.
13. Distract with vinegar and brown paper
Toothache can be distracted by using an old home remedy. It was and still is used in respect to cure pains and aches. What people did was shocking with awesome outcomes.
- Take brown paper, coarse and rough ones gives better feel.
- Soak them in water which contains vinegar in good amount.
- Let it be there for hours making sure that the sheets of brown paper are not torn.
- Strain water and apply these magic sheets of brown paper on the area affected with pain.
- Make sure not to apply it directly on the tooth which aches.
- Let it rest there for five minutes or so.
- Remove and repeat it thrice in a day for fast recovery.
14. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is basically one remedy for many problems because of what it holds in abundance. It is a substance which possesses antiseptic, balsamic, antimicrobial, antibacterial, insecticide and fungicide properties. This remedy will give you relief in toothache without any hassle of doing lengthy procedures.
- Put 2 drops of tea tree oil on a piece of cotton.
- Place it directly on the tooth which hurts and gives pain.
- Let it rest there for minimum 2 minutes.
- Remove and put it back for another 1 minute.
- Repeat it till the pain subsides.
15. Bourbon-soaked cotton ball
Since whiskey and liquor eases mind and gets us going then why do we have to even give a second thought in using it for toothache. It is said, believed and has been experienced by people who take shots of bourbon that it gives instant relief in toothache. However, if you follow these basic steps instead of drinking it, you will get a surprising relief within few minutes.
- Take bourbon whiskey on a bowl or directly drop a good amount on a piece of cotton.
- Place it on the affected tooth.
- Let it be there for few minutes, let’s say two to three.
- Remove it and repeat daily for best and quick results.
Alcohol is taken to subside pain which is found in or on body. For the nourishment of body system and for the healing process, alcohol has been used by a wide number of people across globe. Have you ever taken alcohol to kill toothache? If not, you should try this home remedy once and feel the difference yourself.
- Take alcohol in a piece of cotton.
- Put it on the tooth which aches.
- Remove it after 4 minutes and repeat the process thrice in a day till toothache is actually gone.
17. Oil of oregano
Oregano is a herb which is found in mountainous areas but it’s readily found in markets and shops. Oil extracted from oregano is said to have significant effect on any sort of pain. It is rich in anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- Take few drops of oregano oil.
- Mix it in one glass of water.
- Gaggle the mixture.
- Repeat it twice in a day.
- Be vigilant on the result. It is very strong and can cause burning effect on the tooth.
18. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a complete package for many diseases and health conditions. You will be amazed to see its outcome after using it the way recommended.
- Take one table spoon of ACV and put it in a glass.
- Fill the remaining portion of glass with water.
- Drink it early in the morning before eating or drinking anything.
- You can also apply it on your tooth and wait for few minutes to feel pain being reduced.
19. Ginger root
Ginger root is widely known for its pain reducing properties and have been used as a home remedy for toothache.
- Take one tea spoon of ginger paste.
- Add few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply it with the help of your index finger.
- Rub it on the affected tooth.
- Rinse it after 5 to 6 minutes.
- Repeat daily.
If you haven’t found any home remedy working on your toothache, there are still several remedies which can cure the aching tooth. It’s turn to try potato for reducing pain. It has ant-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- Take a raw potato.
- Clean and dry it.
- Bite into it.
- Keep it under the tooth which aches.
- Let it sit for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Throw the bite and repeat it again.
- You can repeat the process three or two times in a day.
Lime or lemon have vitamin c which helps in healing and curing toothaches. You can simply make lemonade and drink it or apply its juice on the tooth. There is another way of reducing or eliminating pain.
- Squeeze one lime in a bowl.
- Add one drop of tea tree oil.
- Also include one drop of ginger oil.
- Make a mixture.
- Apply it on the tooth by the help of cotton or your index finger.
- You can make its mouthwash by adding one cup of water and rinsing your mouth twice in a day.
It is weed which we find in our lawns and gardens. People have been using tit for ages to remove toothache rapidly.
- Take some plantain and wash it.
- After washing, crush it well.
- Add one to three drops of water to make paste out of it.
- Apply it on the affected tooth.
- Rinse and repeat it once in a day.
Cucumber gives soothing effect. You can try this easy and convenient remedy to curtail toothache.
- Take cucumber and slice it.
- Pick one slice of cucumber, sprinkle some salt over it.
- Place it on the tooth which aches.
- Repeat it as many times as you want.
24. Clove oil
Some really good numbing agents are found in cloves and its extracted oil. They have eugenol which is anesthetic qualities. All you need to do to taper off pain and even eliminate it from root is to follow the steps below:
- Take a cotton ball.
- Pour few drops of clove oil.
- Place it on the tooth which is aching.
- Let it rest there for some time and then rinse your mouth with distilled water.
- Repeat once in a day.