What Is Bruises?
Bruises are way too common in children as well as teenagers. People of old age happens to have them due to diseases. It is strongly linked to diseases and at times it just occurs due to any situation. However, medically it is termed as Contusion.
There are many causes of bruises and can vary from a simple cut to human bites. In cuts, bruises take its real shape after the cut is a bit old. Some bruises are accompanied with pain, itchiness and irritation on the skin. Other type of bruises are ignored because of no pain attached to it. Mostly these bruises are healed on their own but again there are factors which are there for each type of bruise. It largely depends upon the thickness or thinness of skin.
Old people tend to have bruises for a longer period of time as compared to younger ones. It is because of the skin texture and the thinness. Capillaries under the skin goes more disposed to wrecking when the skin gets feeble and thin – a typical indication of old age. There are some other causes which you will read in later part of the article.
Types Of Bruises:
Bruises have many types, some of them are common and others are due to diseases. There is another type which is associated with trivial and not diseases are not the major concern of the development or formation of them. Three kinds of bruises are:
- Bruises which occur under the skin are medically termed as Subcutaneous bruises.
- Second type is that which happen to appear beneath muscles. The term given to this kind in the field of medicine is Intramuscular bruises.
- Third type occurs on the bones and is called periosteal bruises.
Symptoms Of Bruises:
Symptoms and causes of bruises varies from its type. There are three types of bruises and each has its own characteristic feature to determine and locate the position.
Common symptoms of bruises:
Common symptoms and causes of bruises are:
- Bruises bring change in color. Mostly they are purplish but can also be reddish, greenish or bluish.
- Sensitivity and soreness in the diameter of bruises. Tenderness improves with the healing factor.
Symptoms of high risk factor involvement:
Some severe symptoms of bruises which need a quick check from the nearby clinic or a physician are:
- When there is no particular reason and you have bruises, it is a call for medical help. It is because, there must be something wrong going on in your muscles or even bones.
- Medication to make blood thin, can also be the cause of bruises.
- Painful bruises beneath the surface of nails.
- When bruises are accompanied by bleeding from nostrils, gums or mouth.
- Blood flow through stool or urine.
- The most serious symptom of bruises is when eye bleeds.
- Fracture or any damage of bones which come along with bruises are serious and should be tackled instantly by going to the doctor.
- Bruises are dangerous when it comes with soreness and swelling with severe pain.
- Any bruise which stays for more than a month should be taken care by the doctor.
- Black discoloration on bruise is more than dangerous and it should be given extra importance because, it can specify vein thrombosis. It is considered life threatening.
- Formation, occurrence or development of bruises without any reason and that too frequently is not a good sign. If it is dark and large, it needs to be seen by the doctor.
- Easy bruising is next thing to worry about.
Causes Of Bruises:
There are many reasons why a person gets bruises. Some are as common as knocking oneself on the frame of bed, the lower case of any window sill, chair, table or any other object which goes unnoticed. Despite these common reasons which causes bruise there are some other basis too. Some of them are:
- Injury through any sports or games.
- Something which hits on your face or any other part of the body with force.
- Accidents like that of in traffic with cars or trucks.
- Side effect of medicines are also the cause of bruise. Certain medications for example, aspirin can cause bruise.
You should always keep in mind that mostly common bruising factors or causes does not remain mild. They get healed on its own but like mentioned above, need medication at times. There is another thing to keep in mind which is hygiene and cleanliness of bruises. If bruises are not kept clean, viruses may attack them and this will lead to other complications.
Treatment Of Bruises:
Every medical condition or disease whether it is of moderate level or crucial stage comes along with treatment. We are thankful to the science, pharmacist and specialized personnel to help us regain all these medical ailments. So the case remains active when we talk about bruises. Below is a list of things you can do to help you heal bruises:
- For swelling around any bruise, it is advised to place an ice-bag or pack indirectly on your skin. It means that you should wrap it around a cloth to avoid direct contact to the bruised area. This can be done for 15 minutes in every hour.
- To avoid blood clotting or settling of blood in the muscles, keep the bruised area up towards the heart. It will help in flowing the right amount of blood in the affected area.
- For pain, you can always get pain killer for yourself. It will at least let you sleep and carry out daily chores. In severe cases, you might not be able to work like in any normal day but will subside pain to some level.
- It is also recommended by a number of doctors to put the area which is effected and has bruise, rest.
Home Remedies For Bruises:
There are always home remedies along with medical ones. Home remedies are more workable to give you instant relief.
1. Chap Stick and bruises:
Among many other home remedies for bruises, Chap Stick is one of its kind to give you instant relief and help in removing or at least lessening the discoloration on skin. To make this thing work on you, it is mandatory to clean bruised area with a cloth. Make sure that the cloth which you are using is clean. After that simply apply Chap Stick on the affected area, don’t rub it too much. Keep your hand soft and not hard while rubbing it on the bruise.
2. Lavender essential oil:
Carrier oil which is a combination of shea butter, coconut and olive oil, mixed with lavender oil is another good home remedy for bruises. Bruises can be cured and healed by the mixture of oil mentioned above. It only needs to be applied on the affected area, bruise. Just be little careful while adding lavender essential oil. If you will add too much of it you may experience burning or itching.
Toothpaste comes as a handy remedy. It is workable and gives a soothing effect on the bruised area. Applying it generously on the affected area and wrapping a clean cloth or wearing bandage on it will do wonders in no time. It is advised to wear bandage when you are in bed, or are about to go to sleep.
Peel potatoes and cut them into slices to place on bruises. Make sure that the potatoes are freshly cut and not refrigerated. It is advised to change the slice when you think it is overly dried. This little tip or home remedy will give you instant sootiness.
5. Heat and cold therapy:
Moist heat application to the bruised area turns out to be the effective home remedy. For this remedy you will need a towel and microwave. The technique is simple; put a small towel in the microwave for nearly one minute and place it on the bruises. You can repeat the procedure for half an hour. You will see bruise vanish in one to two days.
How To Avoid Bruises:
Bruises can be n be avoided even before their occurrence in a number of ways, which include not only increasing some nutrients in your diet but also elimination some of them. Listed below are those ways you can adopt to avoid bruising altogether;
1. Take Arnica Montana
Arnica Montana is a supplement, using which you can stop these uninvited guests on your skin. Arnica Montana is also known as Leopard’s Bane, and can easily be found at drug stores.
2. Don’t take Certain Pain Relievers
Whenever you get hit or experience some pain you might rush to take aspirin or ibuprofen to lessen your pain sensation. If you have bruises on your skin or your skin is prone to them, don’t take these medicines. Many pain relievers and NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen and diclofenac act as blood thinners therefore enabling more blood flow around the bruise to darken it. You can take acetaminophen as an alternative.
3. Lower Alcohol intake
Alcohol thins your blood thus acting the same way as the above mentioned painkillers. Especially when it combines with these NSAIDs it thins the blood.
4. Eat Healthy Fats
Start taking more healthy fats contained in oily fish, seeds, vegetable oil and avocados. These fats are healthier for your body as compared to the other ones which cause cholesterol in the blood vessels and tightens them or blocks them. These healthy fats keep your blood capillaries’ walls flexible to ensure smooth blood flow.
5. Consume More Proteins
Increase the protein part in your diet as leap protein help to strengthen the walls of your blood vessels. Proteins play a very significant part in our lives as they act as the building materials for our bodies. For the matter of bruises they ensure an easy and even flow of blood by make our blood vessels strong. An even blood flow means that blood does not get piled up at certain spot but flows easily, which helps avoid bruises. Eat fish, nuts, egg and poultry for this purpose.
6. Eat Foods Rich in Bioflavonoids
Your blood vessels and the connective tissues are strengthened by bioflavonoids. Oranges, grapes, green beans and berries are an abundant source of bioflavonoids.
7.Avoid Certain Supplements
Apart from the drugs and alcohol there are certain supplements which act to lower the density of your blood thus making it thin? Omega-3, Gingko Biloba, Ginger, Vitamin E and garlic pills all act as blood thinners.
Can Bruises Be Prevented?
Bruises are not only a medical fitness problem but also cause you displeasure due to aesthetic reasons. Nobody likes any sort of marks or pigmentation on their skin and bruises are worst form of these. Bruises are caused due to loose and weak blood capillaries and you get bruises upon your skin even you get slightly brushed away.
Bruises can be prevented by eating such foods which contain nutrients important for enhancing the strength of your blood vessels and capillaries. In order to prevent bruises from happening you must eat fruits and vegetables which are rich in vitamin C and bioflavonoids. Both of these elements work together to impart strength to your blood vessels and enhance the function of connective tissues. Oranges, grapes, berries and green beans contain both bioflavonoids and vitamin C together.
Other than fruits and vegetables you should eat protein foods like fish, lean meat, eggs, poultry, nuts and pulses which all increase the strength of blood vessels.
Besides adjusting your diet, you also need to take some physical precautionary measures such as wearing some protective gear when you are engaged in any aggressively physical sport or any outdoor activity.
When To See A Doctor?
- When you start noticing that your body has suddenly begun to bruise quite easily, the bruises on your body are larger and more painful as compared to before, and you cannot tell about the origin of bruises, you need to consult your doctor immediately.
- If the bruises are coupled with persistent headache or pain, it’s time for you to go to your doctor for your checkup.
- If abrupt bruising is attended by bleeding from your gums or your nose, or if you begin to notice blood in your stool or in your urine, notify a physician.