If you feel that you often fall sick and your recovery takes time after getting ill than start boosting your immunity on a serious note. Our immune system is the natural defense mechanism of the body that helps to fight the disease naturally. So if you make your immune system stronger there is no need of medication for many diseases. The question is, how do you make your immunity stronger? And the answer is given here in this topic. You make your immunity stronger by having such food which provides with chemical compounds that are helpful in boosting the immunity. We have gathered a list of few power foods that will help you with it. Look what you can find to suit your taste buds and start keeping them in your food bucket.
Garlic belongs to allium family. It consists of a head which is known as a ‘bulb’ and from this bunch of bulb a single segment is known as a ‘clove’. It contains vitamin C, vitamin B6, selenium and manganese. Besides these nutrients garlic also contains calcium, copper, potassium, iron and phosphorous. Garlic has also been found to improve the blood pressure in individuals with the problem of hypertension. It helps to maintain the blood pressure effectively. This could actually be due to a reason that garlic has been found to lower the level of LDL in the blood vessels. Though it has not been found to have any effect on the level of HDL.
- Garlic helps to boost up your immunity by combating sickness particularly common cold.
- A study has found that large doses of garlic extract can reduce the number of days a person is sick due to common cold and flu.
- Garlic contains antioxidants that help to prevent Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia.
Blueberries are low in calories and are said to be little super food. This blue-purple fruit is low in calories but high in nutrients. It contains fibers, vitamin C and vitamin K and about 85 % of it is water. Blueberries are very beneficial for the heart because they help to reduce the oxidation of low density lipids. The oxidation of low density lipids is not a good step, hence it acts as a protective agent for the heart diseases. And not only this, it also helps to lower down the blood pressure. Blueberries are even said to improve the memory, so if you want to have a good one start having blueberries.
- Blueberries are anti-oxidant in nature, which is helps the immune system against the ageing process.
- Because blueberries produce DNA damage hence they are also protective against cancer.
- They also help the muscles to repair after they get damaged form any strenuous exercise.
Fish is a very rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which is really good for the brain and the body. Fatty fish which are considered best for the body are said to have fat soluble vitamin D that functions as a steroid hormone in the body. With their high amount if fatty acids they are supposed to they are supposed to protect the heart form cardiovascular disorders. And the most important thing they help to fight depression progressively in individuals.
- Asthma is a chronic disorder that is an auto-immune. The studies have shown that the consumption of fish helps the immune system to lower the occurrence of this one. In children particularly the study showed that it lowers the risk to 27 %.
- Studies have even showed that fish reduce the risk of neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s.
- This is also said to be related to reduce the risk of type 1 diabetes in people.
Oats are an amazingly healthy breakfast. A bowl of a warm oats mixed in milk and added with fresh fruits is a healthy way to start you day. And this is very low on calories, a cup of oats will some up to 130 calories. Oats are really good for the ones who have a constant problem of constipation because they are said to be rich in fibers as well. Besides being rich in fiber they are also a good source of protein. The ones who are sensitive to gluten must enjoy this because wheat free oats are said to be gluten free.
- It is very good to enhance the immunity of the system. Beta-gluten found in oats are helpful for the neutrophils.
- They help the neutophils to migrate to the site of infection and enhance the ability of them to fight against the bacterial infections.
- It contains liganins called as enterolactone that help to fight against breast cancer.
Mushrooms or toadstool are often grouped with vegetables but they are having the attributes of grains, beans and even meat. They are low in calories but high in nutritional values. People who lack in vitamin D can have mushrooms to normalize the level a bit. Besides having vitamin D it is also said to be free of gluten, hence the ones who have potential to be sensitive to gluten and develop celiac disease can have them easily. Mushrooms have been said to be free of cholesterol hence people who are mushroom lovers can take them without being weight conscious. And as it is low in sodium so the ones with hypertension can opt for it as an option amongst many.
- Beta-gluten found in mushrooms are said to help the immune system to work against allergies. They have a marked immunity stimulating effects.
- According to a scientific research, mushrooms are linked with a reduced risk of cancer. It is said that having mushrooms reduces the chance of the growth of tumors.
- One other way how mushrooms are helping the body for a better immunity is by providing with essential antioxidants like selenium. Selenium is an antioxidant that protects the body from chronic diseases.
- Besides this ergotheoneine is another antioxidant that help the body cells to stay protected.
Did you know dark chocolate that you love eating is an amazing super food that will provide your immune system a boost up!
Did you know that yogurt could be your best fellow in terms of weight loss? Yes, yogurt, the low fat one which has no cream in it can be taken with some fruits and addictives as a meal for yourself if you are fed up of the boiled food during your weight reduction procedure. It has also being said that yogurt helps to provide with flat abs. You get to have a number of vitamins and minerals embedded in yogurt like iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, vitamin B5 etc. With these entire nutrients yogurt provides a good health to the body along with helping in to reduce weight. This is also a good source of proteins particularly the Greek yogurt which is a strained yogurt.
- Yogurt has been found to have probiotics in it, helping the super good bacteria in our intestine to work effectively and kick out the harmful ones.
- In a study conducted in University of Vienna it was found that women who had four ounce of yogurt daily had been found to have a better immune system with more active T-cells to fight infections and illness.
- The lactic acid found in yogurt provides your gums with protection.
6. Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolate though bitter in taste but still is a healthy food. It is made from cocoa tree and has a number of nutrients available in it. For example in a 100 gms of dark chocolate which has 70 %-85 % of cocoa, it will have 11 gms of fiber with 67 % and 58 % of iron and magnesium respectively and 98 % of manganese. Talking about the fat profile of dark chocolate, it contains mostly saturated and monosaturated fats along with a very little amount of polysaturated fats. Dark chocolate works to stimulate the lining of arteries i.e. endothelium to release Nitric Oxide. It is a gas that helps to relax the arteries and reduce the resistance to blood flow hence reducing the pressure of blood.
- Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds that work as antioxidants. They are polyphenols, flavanols, catechins etc.
- They help to reduce the free radicals and help the immune system to boost the immunity.
- Dark chocolate also protects the heart against the oxidation of LDL and help to raise HDL.
- This one also helps to protect the skin form the UV rays of the sun.
5. Citrus Fruits
Lemons, limes, oranges etc are all fallen under the category of citrus fruits. Citrus fruits are found to be antioxidant in nature because of the presence of flavonoids.
- Flavonoids are anti-cancerous and protect against cancer.
- Flavonoids are antioxidants that are supposed to neutralize the free radicals and be protective against the heart diseases. They even prevent the oxidation of LDL which in turn leads to reduced plaque deposition in the arteries. With all this.
- Citrus also help to boost the immunity by helping in wound healing as it helps in the synthesis of collagen.
Help your immune system grow stronger with these foods we have provided you on the list.
4. Green Leafy Vegetables
There are a number various variety of dark green leafy vegetables namely spinach, kale, collards etc. They are rich in nutritional values and have good health benefits.
- Being antioxidant in nature they are supposed to reduce the free radicals and help to prevent a number of diseases.
- Some of them are used to reduce the level of cholesterol that will help reduce the heart diseases.
- They are fibrous and anti-cancerous.
Carrots are orangish red and crunchy when taken a bite. They are juicy and the juice is towards the sweeter taste. Carrots being rich in vitamin A are really good for the eye sight. It has got beta-carotene which is then converted to vitamin A in the liver. Beta-carotene has another function to protect against macular degeneration and senile cataracts. Besides this, when you look at the beauty side of this one you can use it externally on the skin for a facial mask.
- Carrots have got antioxidants that are used to slow down the process of ageing.
- It is said that they help the immune system to fight infections as the herbalist use it for this cause.
- The daily consumption of carrots leads to the reduction of cholesterol because it has got soluble fibers that bind to the bile acids.
- They also help to protect against the plaque accumulation in the oral cavity by stimulating the salivary glands and letting more production of saliva to wash away the pathogens.
2. Red Pepper
Did you know that about 300 % of you r daily vitamin C intake is being stored in the body. It has got such vitamins and mineral that the combination of them helps to fight depression progressively, particularly the one related to premenstrual symptoms. It is also been found that red peppers generate the process of thermogenesis and raises the rate of metabolism in individuals. And it helps to make the metabolism faster without any raise in the heart rate, which is again healthy.
- With its antioxidant lycopene it helps to prevent cancer.
- Red peppers are high in vitamin A and hence they are good for the vision.
This one is another food that acts as super food to boost up the immunity. They are low in calories but rich in nutrients. They contain vitamin B12, choline, copper and iodine.
- Shrimps play an important role in thyroid function and immunity.
- Selenium helps reduce the free radicals that slow down the process of ageing and prevent diseases.
- Astaxanthin is another antioxidant that helps to reduce inflammation.
Tips And Facts
- Garlic supplements that are available help to reduce the common cold and flu in individuals effectively.
- Blueberries are known to fight against the urinary tract infections.
- Having a cup of yogurt helps to recover faster after a workout.
- Dark chocolate available in the market is not in the original form but a processed one. So if you want to take complete advantage of it, go for the pure one.
- Folate which is also found in citrus fruits is important for the cell division and DNA synthesis.
- People who intake 6 carrots a week are less likely to suffer from strokes.