Whenever a woman finds out the fact of life that she is pregnant, the first thing that comes in her mind other than happiness of holding a new life in arms is periodic sickness during pregnancy, ups and downs in health, nervousness and excitement all at the same time.
Morning sickness is one of the hectic sickness phases that every expecting mother has to go through. Some women get heavy bouts of morning sickness in the shape of vomits, headache and nausea. The is a miserable phase of mood swings with tender breast and morning sickness generally not happen in the morning but you can face it day and night.
Almost 75% women who are pregnant and dealing with morning sickness ask the same questions and go through the same sickness phases. Their most common question is, “Will this sickness ever end? Is there anything we can do that will make us feel better? Will I be enjoying my pregnancy? ” the answer to all these silly questions is Yes and Yes, you will definitely come over this phase after struggling for some time.
The problem of morning sickness is not forever but it happens on and off during the first trimester and will bother you for a little time only. By the time you are going through this, you are unable to understand the fact that it is going to be just temporary but the good news is, you can just overcome this part of sickness using some of the effective and tested remedies that are safe and helpful to use, some might give you instant relief too. You just need to remember one thing that different remedies work well for different expecting moms, so you need to make sure that you are going to use the most effective ones.
We have stated about 9 of the most effective, tried and tested remedies for morning sickness but before that let us put a light on what exactly is morning sickness.
What is Morning Sickness?
By talking about Morning Sickness, we more precisely mean Nausea and Vomiting during Pregnancy (NVP). Morning sickness is usually not limited to mornings but can happen at any time of the day and this problem is faced by almost 80% of women. This kind of sickness happens between the 6th and 12th week of pregnancy but it is not necessary it will continue for more time and usually ends by the 16th week. Doctors are still clueless of why morning sickness happens to women during pregnancy but there are many related theories that enlighten the problem of morning sickness such as:
- Low blood pressure and blood sugar.
- Increase in the level of estrogen.
- Increase in the level of progesterone.
- Increased human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
- Sensitivity to any type of smell that may cause gag-reflex.
Beside the bizarre and hectic experience, morning sickness is quite harmless for most of the expecting mother and their child developing inside, while 1% of pregnant mommies go through hyperemesis gravidarum which is an extreme case where women go through dehydration and loss instant weight. Such women should be immediately admitted to hospital for intense treatment. If you go through such a phase, you need to immediately get some fast consultation to avoid any serious health issues that are dangerous both for you and the baby.
NOTE: Expecting moms who go through hyperemesis gravidarum usually deliver a baby girl instead of a boy.
Pregnant women are usually more concerned about how to get rid of nausea and related morning sickness rather than having it during their pregnancy. There are many morning sickness remedies that can efficiently help you out to overcome this problem. These remedies can make you feel better and may relief the symptoms of morning sickness. Let us now go through some of the most effective remedies to reduce this annoying pregnancy problem.
Using lemon is the best way to reduce nausea and control morning sickness due to its calming effect. These are quite inexpensive and can be easily bought from any nearby market or vegetable hawker. Lemon can be used in many different ways to reduce nausea and vomiting. Let’s see how it is so effective in this matter:
- Holy Lemon Mixture: If you are feeling nausea then you must try this mixture. Mix well one teaspoon lemon juice, one tablespoon honey, on teaspoon mint juice and one-half. Instant have this mixture and try it two or three times daily. You can also try this mixture replacing honey with some sugar but as per your need and taste.
- Lemon Water: Just squeeze in a lemon into a glass of chilled water and drink it whenever you feel the urge.
- Lick Lemon: Simply cut a fresh lemon, top it with a pinch of salt and start licking it.
- Lemon Candy: Always keep a few lemon candies near you like your handbag or drawer. Whenever you feel the vomit, grab it and chew it hard to overcome it.
- Lemon Essence: Another fine solution is to smell freshly cut lemon or lemon aroma candy to overcome the sickness.
- Lemon Candle: Try out some lemon-scented candles and keep them lit in your room or anywhere you sit the most to help reduce nausea from the beginning.
8. Good Nutrition
Having good nutrition during pregnancy is one hard challenge. Pregnancy is all about urge of having junk food that is extremely unhealthy for the complete diet scenario both for mother and the child. An expecting mother requires a huge list of nutritional requirements that is extremely important for the over health of the baby and mother till the delivery and post-delivery. The concept is completely based on the amount of serving required by the mother in every meal per day. Here you just need to follow a few tips and tricks in order to overcome morning sickness.
- Keep Some Snack: Healthy snacking is always good. During pregnancy a mother often feels hungry and wants to eat something. Empty stomach may cause dehydration that can lead to severe nausea. Keeping some snacks near you such as keeping in your bad or side drawers so that they are easy in approach and can be eaten anywhere. Try eating snacks like dry-fruits, nuts, crackers and baked chips.
- Eat Frequently: Never keep your stomach empty just to avoid problems like nausea and vomiting. Keep a habit of eating frequently and eat something little after every 2 hours. Add milk, fresh fruits, proteins and carbohydrates to your diet. These foods are extremely important for the health of both mother and child.
- Avoid Oily and Fatty foods: At any circumstances avoid oily and fat foods because they take longer time to digest and disturb the digestive track. Oily food can cause acidity and may result in sever vomiting.
- Before Going To Bed Snack Up: Never sleep empty stomach. If you feel hungry snack up your tummy with something healthy and then go to bed after a while.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink lots of water to keep oneself hydrated for long. This exercise will keep you fresh and you skin will also glow because water flushes all sorts of toxins out of the body.
- Eat What You Crave: During pregnancy strong cravings follow and you cannot do anything. Sometimes you feel like eating ice-cream and the other time some yummy spicy savory food. Always eat what you crave as this will help to control your morning sickness. The better you eat. The better you will feel.
Ginger is an amazing food found on our mother–earth. Ginger roots are filled with some amazing chemicals called shogaols and gingerols that work effectively to give instant relief from nausea and vomiting. You don’t need to get worried about morning sickness any more. Let’s see how we can use this amazing root to overcome this problem:
- Ginger and Honey Syrup: Add about 5 to 6 drops of fresh ginger juice in a tablespoon full of honey. Mix it well and gulp the mixture early morning when you wake up.
- Ginger soup: Add some freshly grated ginger in a cup of water and boil. Reduce it to half, cool it down, add a tablespoon of honey and drink it daily to overcome nausea.
- Ginger tea: You can make some very effective and simple ginger tea by adding about 1 ½ teaspoon of ginger powder in a cup of boiling water. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes and then strain it out. Add some honey for flavor and drink slowly as you drink normal tea hot and warm. Expecting mothers must not drink this tea more than three times daily because of its warm effects on the stomach.
- Chewing Ginger: Chewing little piece of fresh ginger or sucking its juice can give instant relief to nausea and vomiting. One can feel fresh by following this method.
If you are looking for something extremely soothing and one thing that will give a cool effect then always go for stuff made with peppermint or only peppermint itself. The very cool and soothing anesthetic effect of peppermint will calm down the awkward disturbance in the stomach and will let you overcome your morning sickness. See how differently we can use peppermint to reduce nausea or vomiting.
- Peppermint Tea: Simply prepare peppermint tea by adding about 1 teaspoon of peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water. Steep the tea for about 10-12 minutes and then strain. Add honey or sugar for flavor. Drink in slowly like a normal tea.
- Peppermint Essential Oil: Peppermint essential oil can also help relief the bad nausea. Dab a few drops of this essential oil on a cloth and simply inhale the soothing smell. You will feel quite relieved with this matter.
- Peppermint Soothing Candies: Keep dome good quality peppermint candies in your purse or drawers for easy access. Eat them when you have urge or feeling nauseated.
- Peppermint Candles: Peppermint candles can also play a nice role in reducing the problem of morning sickness. Lit them in your living room so that its essence can spread through the air and inhaling that can give you instant relief.
- Peppermint Air Fresheners: Many types of air fresheners are available in the market with different soothing fragrances. Choosing the right one for special purpose can solve many problems. Peppermint fresheners can help you solve the problem of nausea. Just spray it around your room and inhale the smell. The time you will do this you feel instant reduction in nausea and you may feel much better.
Cheese can be one fast solution to your everyday morning sickness problem during your early pregnancy. Intake of proteins is surely very important for your overall health. Protein intake helps regulate blood sugar level. According to a special research, protein enriched foods helps to reduce the symptoms of morning sickness and especially at that time when you want to eat more carbohydrates.
- Cheese can be eaten at the time you are feeling to vomit and don’t want to eat anything else.
- Different flavors of cheese can be eaten such as mozzarella, cheddar or cottage cheese.
- Toss some freshly diced cheese with fruit or vegetable salad both for lunch or dinner.
- You can also try cheese or protein filled foods before going for good night sleep.
4. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves can also show some miracles in relieving your morning sickness. Most of the Ayurvedic medicines contain natural products that show no side effect and curry leaves are one of them. These leaves show some awesome results when combined with some other miracle foods. Let’s see how we can use it to overcome morning sickness:
- Curry Leave Syrup: Extract juice of little curry leaves and mix it well with a juice of one lime and a tablespoon of honey. Drink this syrup to avoid any sort of nausea or vomiting. Better to drink it early morning.
- Chew Curry Leaves: Simply take some curry leaves and chew them directly in raw form. The juices from the leaves will feel bit bitter but will give you instant relief from nausea.
- Curry Leave Tea: Boil some curry leaves in a cup of water and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and add honey for flavor. Drink this tea twice daily to feel fresh and kick nausea.
- The Pillow Trick: Take some curry leaves and keep them in your pillow before sleeping. The strong essence of the leaves help you overnight to overcome the problem of morning sickness the next day.
Crackers can be one fast solution to your morning sickness, you just need to grab a few and eat it fast. Crackers are a snack that are light on your stomach and can turn off the feeling of nausea quickly.
- The best option is too start your daily early with some fresh crackers so that you don’t feel any sort of nausea or vomiting for the rest of your day. Try this method for the first few weeks of your lovely pregnancy.
- It is not necessary that you have to eat this lovely snack just in the morning but you can grab some any time of the day and eat it.
- Eat it whenever you crave or you feel a little nausea.
- Keep a habit of keeping a little portion of light whole-wheat crackers, low-sodium soda cracker or popcorns in your purse to avoid any sort of inconvenience, as they are handy to carry and will be rightly available.
2. Potato Chips
In reality potato chips are generously made for pregnant ladies to indulge and kill that feeling of annoying nausea. They can eat these without feeling guilty about gaining weight and consuming extra calories. Eating few potato chips can be light on stomach and can calm the disturbance in it.
- Potato chips can show some wonders and can quickly alleviate the feeling of nausea which happens due to excess saliva. It is the salt in potato chips will help to dry up the salts.
- Remember not to over indulge with such a heaven snack, you just need t eat a few of them whenever you feel the pain of nausea.
- If you are too much concerned about your weight and health then opt for fat-free or baked potato chips.
- Keep a small pack of potato chips in your bag in order to get hold of it whenever required.
1. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds can play a good role in reducing the feeling of nausea which you usually feel between the first few weeks of pregnancy. The licorice-tasting and aromatic fragrance of fennel seeds can sooth the stomach disturbance and will give a fast relief from morning sickness. It is the anesthetic properties of fennel seeds that help fight nausea.
- Roasted Fennel Seeds: eat about one teaspoon of roasted fennel seeds and simply grind and chew them so that the juices of fennel seeds directly interact with stomach and help calm down the awkward disturbance that creates nausea.
- Fennel Tea: Add one teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water. Steep for about 10 minutes. Strain and add a teaspoon of honey. Drink this tea twice a day. Make sure you do not take it more than twice.
- Fennel Syrup: take one teaspoon of fennel seed powder, 1 tablespoon of lemon and one teaspoon of honey. Mix it well and gulp this syrup whenever you feel nausea or vomiting.
Some Important Tips
- Try to drink a glass of cold water every hour.
- Avoid eating too much greasy food as it will be heavy on your stomach and may cause nausea.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that are high in water content, such as carrots, melon, cucumbers, grapes, apples, oranges and pears.
- Do a little 10 steps walk to reduce the feeling of nausea.
- Tasting pickle may also give you quick relief from nausea.
- Taking a quick shower can also prevent you from having morning sickness.
- Eat foods that are dense in nutrition.
- If you feel exhausted and suffocated inside the walls, go out and have a little walk in fresh air.
- Take a short nap as this might reduce the feel of nausea and avoid it for future.
- Taking plenty of rest can make you feel better and will let you reduce the fear of morning sickness.
- Avoid sitting in front of computer and TV for longer time.
- Keep yourself occupied by reading some nice books or playing any puzzles.