Yeast infection is generally known by the name of Candida and fortunately there are several home remedies for yeast infection. It results from a group of microscopic fungi or yeast known as Candida albicans. It has a tendency of affecting vaginal area more but it also occurs in lower abdomen, beneath skin folds, under the breasts, and around dentures. Women can also suffer from yeast infection after menopause because after menopause the estrogen level declines resulting in thinning of vaginal walls. It is not only women who suffer from yeast infection but also men. Men and women both will suffer at least once in a life time from yeast infection.
Candida is a fungus that has an ability of living anywhere. It is present in the body naturally. However, it is your immune system that keeps a check on its growth. Different factors that trigger yeast infection are stress, diabetes, pregnancy, steroids, use of oral contraceptives, antibiotics and chronic health condition. Some of the symptoms of yeast infection are burning or swelling in or around the affected area and itching. If the area affected is the vagina then it may result in a burning feeling during urination, odorless vaginal discharge and discomfort in vagina during sex.
Here are top 10 home remedies for Yeast Infection that can control yeast infection and help you prevent future ones.
Yoghurt consists of good bacteria or probiotics. It contains bacteria called Lactobacillus acidophilus that prevents yeast from growing. Intake of yoghurt or probiotic supplements aids in keeping a balance of good bacteria that wards off infections. It is advisable to use only plain unsweetened yoghurt for yeast infection.
- Add yoghurt in your ever day diet.
- Use plain yoghurt over the affected area of the skin. Leave it that way for 30 minutes or even overnight. This will bring relief from itching.
- In case of vaginal yeast infection, dip a tampon in yoghurt and put it in your vagina for 2 hours. Repeat it 2 times in a day.
2. Coconut Oil
What makes coconut oil so effective against yeast infection? Many ingredients present in coconut oil are antifungal and antimicrobial which makes coconut oil effective for treating yeast infection. Ingredients like capric, parylic and lauric acid aids in killing the bad bacteria. They don’t target the friendly bacteria.
- Apply coconut oil over the affected site thrice a day.
- Make coconut oil a part of your diet. Make it a part of your cooking and daily dishes.
- If the infection is in your mouth, swish coconut oil in your mouth for 10 minutes. You can also combine some drops of cinnamon oil or tea tree oil in coconut oil. Make sure you don’t swallow the oil. Repeat it thrice in a day.
- You can combine cinnamon oil and coconut oil and apply externally to control growth of yeast infection.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mostly, home remedy lists are not complete without this miraculous ingredient. No matter which part of your body is effected by yeast infection apply cider vinegar is a great cure. It is particularly good for yeast infection in the armpits and breasts. The ingredients present in white vinegar and apple cider vinegar is helpful in treating yeast infection and eliminating the fungi that causes it.
- Pour in few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in your bath water. Soak yourself in this water. It will relieve your from redness and itching caused by the yeast infection. In case of vaginal infection, this remedy will balance its PH level. You can notice results after 2 or 3 soaks.
- Take a cup of warm water and Combine 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Go for an organic apple cider vinegar. Consume this solution 2 times a day for few days.
- Add some water to either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and then apply it on the affected site. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash it off.
Garlic is an age old remedy. Garlic possesses antibiotic, antibacterial or antifungal qualities which can definitely ward off yeast infections. Garlic is known to be a very big foe of yeast. It has the power and ability to get rid of even the very stubborn strains of yeast.
- For topically applying garlic, combine coconut oil, garlic oil and vitamin E. apply this mixture over the affected site.
- You can also take few garlic cloves. Crush them to form a paste out of it. Use this paste directly over the affected site.
- These days garlic tablets are also available. You can either take garlic tablets or eat few garlic cloves on a daily basis. Consuming fresh cloves can result in bad breath but nonetheless it is more effective for curing yeast infection.
Cranberry is a common treatment for preventing and curing urinary tract infections but they are also helpful in treating yeast infections. Cranberries possess both antifungal and antibacterial qualities. Components of cranberries aid in stopping bacteria from sticking to the linings of the body.
- Consumption of unsweetened cranberry many times in a day is advisable since it makes the healing process faster and provides good results in a short period of time.
- You can take 2 to 3 cranberry tablets in a day just in case unsweetened cranberry is not available. Cranberry tablets are usually readily available.
6. Boric Acid
Boric acid is a crystalline chemical substance that possesses mild antiseptic qualities. The suppository capsules of boric acid have been proved effective for curing yeast infections. Boric acid is used at times for treating yeast infections when antifungal medications are not working. One thing to remember is that pregnant women should not use boric acid especially vaginally. Boric acid has a tendency of irritating the skin and can prove to be toxic if applied to open wounds or taken orally. It is better to consult the doctor before going for this remedy.
- Take some boric acid and dilute it by adding water.
- Apply this solution to the affected site of the skin.
- Let it sit for few minutes.
- Wash it off using warm water.
- Repeat every day for 2 weeks.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is extracted from the leaves of tea tree which have the power to kill viruses, bacteria and fungus. This is the reason it aids in treating yeast infection. Pregnant women should avoid this remedy as the some features of tea tree oil can pose harm to the child.
- Take organic tea tree oil and either add some water to dilute it or a teaspoon of sweet almond oil or olive oil. Massage with this oil over the affected site of the skin several times in a day.
- In case of vaginal yeast infection, take a tampon and soak it in few drops of tea tree oil on it and place it in the vagina for 2 to 3 hours. Do this 2 times every day.
8. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil consists of ingredients that are anti yeast and antifungal like carvacrol. They help to make the immune system stronger and combat microorganisms responsible for causing yeast infection.
- Oregano oil can be externally applied over the affect areas of the skin. It is better to dilute it by adding olive oil to it as it can cause irritation on skin.
- As an alternative, you can also try taking 1 or 2 capsules of oregano oil 2 times a day.
Calendula is a type of herb that possesses anti-inflammatory and antifungal qualities that stops the growth of yeast. Thereby, treating and preventing yeast infection from further developing. In case fresh calendula is not available, you can make use of calendula ointment or lotions that are readily available.
- You can make tea out of calendula extract. It helps to control yeast infections.
- Take 2 to 3 calendula leaves. Gently crust them and apply it over the affected site of the skin. Repeat 2 to 3 times every day.
Note: avoid calendula at all costs if you are pregnant. It can harm the baby.
10. Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract has multiple benefits. Extract of olive leaf consists of antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antiviral qualities that make it effective against yeast infection. It also aids in restoring good bacteria.
- Olive leaf extract can be easily made at home by finely chopping 2 to 3 fresh olive leaves.
- Keep these leaves in a jar and completely cover it with vodka.
- Cover it with a lid and keep the jar in a place that is totally dark for up to 4 weeks.
- Now strain the liquid in a separate jar.
- Use this solution over the affected areas of the skin.
- Repeat this thrice to get positive results.
There are several other natural remedies that you can find online such as echinacea purpurea liquid or pomegranate gel. These home remedies can help you get rid of irritating symptoms caused by yeast infection. In case you don’t notice any kind of improvements and positive results, you should immediately consult a doctor.