Formation of a bump on nose piercing is nothing uncommon. It could be due to an infection or other issues.
What makes it so prone to infections is the fact that the cartilaginous nature of nasal tissues doesn’t allow it to heal quickly and easily like flesh.
Nose piercing is a common body art that woman try all over the world. Successful piercing is going to make you look pretty when you wear good nose pins, studs or ring. The problem is that not all nose piercing heal properly.
Bump on nose piercing usually occurs few days after you get your nose pierced or sometimes even after months. Sometimes bumps occur because you traumatize it by knocking or tugging and then maybe because you removed or reinserted the ring or stud and damage the tissues in the process.
The bump usually looks raised and red. If you leave a related to audio. there can be only one thing, the video can be on then there will be a control to turn off the audio, other wise there will be no control. untreated, it results in the formation of scar tissues and who wants a scar on their skin! This is why you should get it treated as soon as possible.
- 1 Is My Bump on Nose Piercing Infected?
- 2 What does a bump next to nose piercing and a bump inside mean?
- 3 Causes of Infected Nose Piercing Bump
- 4 How to Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.1 1. Sea Salt Soak To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.2 2. Chamomile tea bags To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.3 3. Tea tree oil To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.4 4. Aspirin To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.5 5. Topical antibiotic creams and gels To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.6 6. Anti-Inflammation Drugs To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.7 7. Chang the Jewelry To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.8 8. Avoid Draining To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.9 9. Use Honey To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 4.10 10. Try Lemon Juice To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
- 5 When to See a Doctor
Is My Bump on Nose Piercing Infected?
Bumps without Infection
Don’t freak out if you notice a bump on your nose because not every bump means you have an infection. It could simply be a granuloma. Now, what is granuloma? It is a harmless tissue growth on the body which usually looks red. It can bleed easily and also produce a yellow or clear fluid. No need to get all alarmed at the sight. Hot compress is a good way of dealing with it. Somehow Asians and Africans have more chances of getting a nose keloid which is a type of raised scar.
Bumps with Infection
If you happen to have an infected red bump on the nose, it will look like a pimple and will probably contain pus. If you notice that it has pus, you should immediately get yourself treated because it could develop into an abscess or a pustule. A pustule is basically a formation of a hard lump beneath the skin. In this way, the body tries to keep the chronic infection separate. It is not always easy to figure out if the bump is infected. You should be on the lookout whether the bump seems like a pimple, is pink in color or tender.
What does a bump next to nose piercing and a bump inside mean?
Bump Next To Nose Piercing
Bump next to the nose piercing may or may not be due to infection. The first thing you can do is treat it with a sea salt soak discussed later. If it is not of any help to you, then you can try chamomile tea, tea tree oil or over the counter antibiotic gel or cream.
Consult with your doctor if the bump next to the pierced nose persists even after three weeks of treatment. Read on to know the treatments. If the bump looks like a scar and doesn’t release any discharge, it can be a keloid which requires medical treatment.
Nose Piercing Bump Inside
There are people who get their nose piercing bumps inside the nose. This can probably be due to infection. Again simple home remedies like tea tree oil, chamomile tea and hot compress will work.
A bump inside the nose usual means that jewellery that was used wasn’t the correct size. However, do not consider changing jewellery if the pierced site is not healed yet but do talk to a professional piercer about it.
A bump inside the nose can also be due to irritation caused by a change of jewellery even when the pierced site has completely been healed. Such bumps are effectively treated with tea tree oil.
Causes of Infected Nose Piercing Bump
Nose piercing infection may be because of fungi, bacteria or other micro-organisms. Sometimes it is also because you are not given proper after care instructions which eventually lead to an infection. Here are some of the causes:
1. Lack of hygiene
If you don’t take care of hygiene and touch the pierced area with your contaminated hands, you transfer germs which result in an infection and causes a bump. When you get your nose pierced, wash your hand with antibacterial soap before you touch your pierced site. Dirty hands contain bacteria along with other germs which you transfer when you touch the pierced site cause infection.
It is advised to clean the pierced area twice with an antiseptic or saline solution. Make sure you also keep your beddings and whole body clean.
2. Using wrong products to clean
If you don’t use the right products to clean the pierced site, you may probably end up increasing your chances of infection. Make sure you don’t use hydrogen peroxide and alcohol to clean the pierced site.
3. Using public facilities
If you happen to use hot tubs or visit public swimming pools, you should avoid it till your pierced nose heals because such places usually contain bacteria. Stay away from facilities or activities that can result in transmission of germs or bacteria and cause infection along with a bump on piercing.
4. Injury to the pierced site
Causing trauma to your pierced site can damage the surrounding tissue and also result in an infection. Trauma happens when the jewellery is removed, re-inserted, or knocked. It will cause you pain and increase the risk of infection as well as nose piercing bump.
5. Opting for wrong and cheap jewellery
Your body may react to the jewellery in the form of allergic reaction. Do not use cheap jewellery that can cause an allergic reaction. Don’t overlook the price and material of the nose piercing jewellery because it is of immense importance. Choosing the wrong jewellery will end up in migration, infection, scarring, bumps or rejection.
The body can react to materials like nickel. Making use of high quality jewellery made of quality stainless steel, gold, silver, or titanium is better as the body doesn’t react to it. Cheap jewellery even contains rough surfaces that hurt the soft skin tissues of your nose and forms bump. Moreover, don’t use jewellery that is too big or small for the piercing hole. It should be a good fit.
6. Poor piercing technique
Poor piercing techniques and unhygienic procedure used by the piercer is the biggest cause of nose piercing infection, which leads to the formation of bump on the nose. Using unsterilised equipment like the gun or the needle can easily be a cause of transferring bacteria, fungi or the micro-organism to your piercing site.
7. Inexperienced piercer
Sometimes the piercer isn’t experienced and doesn’t have much knowledge about nose piercing. Due to his lack of knowledge, he can end up giving you wrong after care instructions which further delays the healing process and makes the nose susceptible to infection. Make sure you get the piercing done from a professional and that that the piercing tools are completely sterilized.
8. Changing the jewellery before healing
If you change or remove the jewellery before the nose piercing has even healed, it may result in bleeding as well as an infection that delays the healing. You are not supposed to change your piercing jewellery until it is completely healed. Never change the jewellery by yourself. If you feel the bump is caused by the choice of jewellery , check with the piercing professional.
Infections don’t just cause a bump but considerably delay the healing. It is very important for you to keep the pierced site clean and away from dirt at all times. Make sure you strictly follow the after care instructions that your piercer provides you with. If the infection has already hit your nose, then look for a good treatment as fast as you can.
How to Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Here are some ways you can treat nose piercing bump:
1. Sea Salt Soak To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
This happens to be the simplest and easiest method of jewellery at home. All you require is a cotton ball, sea salt d warm water.
- Soak the cotton ball with sea salt solution and keep it on your nose.
- Allow the solution to soak for some time before removing it.
- Repeat this remedy two times a day for 20 minutes.
- If you can, you can also dip the affected site directly in the sea salt solution.
- This helps to quickly get rid of infection and the piercing bump.
Note: Keep in mind that the sea salt solution needs to be as hot as your skin can bear. Do not burn your skin. After you are done with the procedure, rinse your nose properly with warm water to keep the salt from drying in your nose.
2. Chamomile tea bags To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Chamomile is well known for its anti-inflammatory nature and soothing effect. Is the sea salt solution not working for you? Try chamomile tea which another simple yet effective remedy for treating the bump on nose piercing.
- All you have to do is dip one or two chamomile tea bags in warm water.
- Compress it on the piercing site
- Let the tea bag stay for few minutes.
- When the heat in the tea bag dissipates, dip again.
- Do this three times a day.
- You can also use this remedy with sea salt soak.
3. Tea tree oil To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Tea tree oil is yet another effective way of healing a nose piercing bump. Bumps can sometimes be very stubborn. Tea tree oil is a great treatment for such bumps as it is a natural antiseptic that kills germs and keeps the skin dry.
Simply dilute the tea tree oil by mixing in olive oil or jojoba oil.
- Dip a cotton ball or cotton bud in it.
- Apply it over the pierced site.
- Repeat two times a day for positive results.
Note: too much of anything is bad and so is the case with tea tree oil. Don’t use it too much.
4. Aspirin To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Aspirin happens to be an anti-inflammatory drug which is why it has the ability to treat infections and is effective for getting rid of nose bumps. Besides it is readily available in stores and affordable as well. It not only shrinks the bump but rids you of it without any scar. The skin easily absorbs aspirin and drains the infection.
- Take a glass containing very little water.
- Dissolve an aspirin in it so it forms a paste
- Apply it on the piercing site before going to sleep daily for few days.
5. Topical antibiotic creams and gels To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Applying over-the-counter topical antibiotic gels and creams can also help to get rid of piercing bumps. They are easily available in most drug stores.
6. Anti-Inflammation Drugs To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Is your bump due to trauma? Then you probably need to use medicine like ibuprofen as a nose piercing bump treatment. It can help to reduce pain and infection if you have accidentally pulled out the ring or knocked the nose piercing.
7. Chang the Jewelry To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Infections are also caused by the choice of jewelry. Only opt for pure gold, silver, titanium, quality niobium or stainless steel. The material really matters. Don’t fall for free or cheap jewelry that the shops offer sometimes because they cause infection.
Do not change your jewelry before the piercing has healed. If the infection develops after piercing, go to the piercing professional and ask them to change the jewelry. Don’t experiment at home.
8. Avoid Draining To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Although it might seem tempting but do not try to drain the infected nose ring bump as you can make things worse for yourself. This particularly happens when you end up using a contaminated tool and allow bacteria to enter the wound. Letting the infection enter the bloodstream can take your life. Consult a doctor and take his opinion regarding draining the bump.
9. Use Honey To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Owing to honeys’ antibacterial nature and healing qualities, honey has been an age old traditional treatment for treating skin infections including nose bumps that appear after piercing.
Simply take a clean cotton ball and use it to apply honey on the bump thrice a day. Keep doing to every day till the condition gets better.
10. Try Lemon Juice To Get Rid of Nose Piercing Bump
Lemon is yet another effective home remedy for nose piercing bump. All you have to do is take a fresh lemon and cut it in half. Take a glass of water and squeeze the lemon juice in it. apply it on the bump thrice a day. Repeat till you notice the bump fading away.
When to See a Doctor
Nose piercing bumps usually are treated well with the treatments discussed above. If still things don’t get better, you should consult with the doctor if:
- The bump is pretty stubborn and doesn’t reduce nor clear even after three weeks of home remedies as well as treatment or it simply gets worse.
- There are noticeable scar tissues forming like keloids on nose piercing. They are usually treated through a surgery.
- The bump releases a thick and smelly discharge which comes with symptoms like dark streaks around the piercing and fever.