There are plenty of home remedies for sore throat that can cause anyone a lot of pain and discomfort. A sore throat may be caused by strained vocal cords, cold or may be due to something more serious like strep throat. No matter what the cause, everyone wants to get rid of as soon as possible. You might want to go to your doctor immediately but you don’t always have to because home remedies can prove more fruitful than over the counter drugs.
A sore throat can cause a lot of discomfort as it makes the throat scratchy and painful. It becomes difficult to swallow or talk. Virus or bacteria is usually the cause of sore throats. Other causes of sore throat may be measles, allergies, irritants, excessive shouting, acid reflux, flu, croup, outdoor pollution, mononucleosis, dry air, and chicken pox. All these illnesses are viral and cannot be cured by antibiotics. A very small percentage of sore throats are due to bacterial infections. Some of them are whooping cough, diphtheria and strep throat. Swollen glands in the neck, stomach ache or head ache often occurs with sore throat.
Most doctors are of the opinion that you should only visit a doctor if you have a severe sore throat along with fever or when you have got tonsils that are blocking the throat.
Here are top 10 home remedies for Sore Throat that you can try when your throat feels hoarse, scratchy and painful.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Unfortunately, sometimes things that have a nasty taste make us feel better. The high level of acidity in apple cider vinegar has the ability to kill bacteria easily. Therefore, this antibacterial quality makes it useful to treat all the soreness present in your throat especially when combined with honey.
- Combine apple cider vinegar and honey in a cup of warm water. Drink it when it is warm. For best results, consume it twice or thrice a day till you find relief from the inflammation and the pain.
- If that’s not possible for you because of the strong taste, you can mix 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with half cup warm water. Sprinkle some salt and use this solution for gargling. For best results, gargle at least once a day.
2. Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow root or marshmallow is a herb that can sooth a sore throat extensively. It consists of mucilage which coats the throat and relaxes the mucous membranes. Marshmallow root tea is considered really effective for sore throat.
- Take a cup of boiling water and add 1 tablespoon of dried marshmallow root.
- Let it steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the solution and add some honey before drinking.
- For best result, consume 3 cups of this herbal per day.
Note: don’t try this remedy if you are a nursing woman, pregnant or diabetic.
Cinnamon is great for treating sore that occurs due to common cold. Although spices are advised to be avoided but cinnamon is one such spice that immensely helps in bringing relief from pain caused by sore throat. It is highly rich in anti-oxidants. The smell of aroma is said to open up sinuses and reduce mucus production which lets you breath easily. Cinnamon water not only tastes good but also acts as a perfect medicine.
- Take a cup of water. Add some cinnamon and allow the water to boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Take the cinnamon away and add any tea of your choice in the cinnamon water. It could be green as well. Chamomile tea in cinnamon water with some honey added tastes great and cures well.
- Take a glass of warm water. Add one teaspoon of black pepper powder and cinnamon powder each. You can add cardamom if you want. Strain out the liquid and use the solution for gargling twice or thrice a day.
- Another way of doing this is by taking one teaspoon of pure honey and adding a few drops of cinnamon oil. Consume this twice a day. It will give you relief from inflammation and pain caused by sore throat.
4. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is a very old traditional remedy for sore throat. It consists of mucilage. Mucilage is a gel like substance that gives your throat a coating which minimized the irritation and soothes the soreness. In case you can’t find the herb, you can always use slippery elm in the form of capsule. They are always available at drug stores.
- Take 2 cups of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of inner bark of slippery elm to it. A slick gel forms.
- Steep for some time and strain it.
- Consume this solution in a warm state.
As a matter of fact, this remedy can be used to treat any type of respiratory illness.
5. Salt Water
This remedy is surely known by everyone since everyone’s grandmother or mothers seem to advice this. Gargling with salt water is one of the most effective remedies. Salt happens to draw out water which causes the swollen cells to shrink and alleviates pain. It drains out all the excess mucus and lets you breath properly in case you have a blocked nose.
- All you have to do is heat a cup of water enough to make it warm not hot.
- Add half teaspoon salt and gargle with this salt water solution.
- Do this at least 3 times a day.
Note: repeating this more than 3 times a day can make the healthy soft tissues dry.
Garlic contains antiseptic as well as antibacterial qualities. Garlic contains allicin which is helpful in treating sore throats. Allicin is a compound that helps to eliminate strep causing bacteria and combats germs that result in irritation and pain.
- Take a garlic clove and keep it on one side of the cheek. Suck on it slowly. Crush it a little with your teeth to release the allicin present in it. Don’t bite it. Do this once every day.
- If you don’t like doing that, you can use garlic oil as an alternative. Pour in few drops of garlic oil in some water and use this solution to gargle at least once a day.
- You can keep an intake of garlic either in cooked form or raw.
It may seem surprising but lemons are a great help in giving you relief from sore throat. Lemons can offer great relief if you have sore throat because they assist in eliminating mucus. Not only that, they also contain high amount of Vitamin C that helps in making your body resistant against diseases.
- Cut a fresh lemon. Squeeze the lemon juice in warm water and use the solution for gargling.
- Combine 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a cup of warm water. Add one teaspoon honey on the topo f it. The astringent juice will help reduce the swelling in the throat and the acidic environment is bound to ward off bacteria and viruses.
- As an alternative you can also take half a lemon and add some pepper and salt over it. Then lick the lemon slowly.
Honey is an age old remedy for sore throat. It not only contains antibacterial qualities that speed up the healing but also acts as a hypertonic osmotic. This means it helps to take out water present in the swollen tissues and as a result minimizes swelling and discomfort.
- Take a cup of hot water and add 2 tablespoons of honey in it. Drink this many times in a day. If you like you can also add honey to any kind of herbal tea.
- Eat a teaspoon of honey before going to bed at night. This will give your sour throat a soothing effect and will induce peaceful sleep.
Turmeric is rich in antioxidant which makes it really powerful to fight off serious diseases. It is an effective remedy for sore throat as it consists of anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities.
- Take a glass of warm milk and add 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Consume this once before going to bed.
- Alternatively, take a glass of warm water and add 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder. Consume this slowly on empty stomach first thing in the morning. Repeat once a day for 4 days.
- Combine ½ teaspoon of salt and turmeric powder each in a cup of hot water. Use this solution to gargle twice a day.
Cloves are also one of those spices that have been used since centuries for medicinal purpose. The prime reason clove acts as a natural pain killer is because it contains eugenol. Eugenol not only gives cloves its antibacterial quality but also acts a natural pain killer. When you chew on cloves, it releases eugenol which helps to subside the pain in the throat because of sore throat.
- Take some cloves and pop it. Keep it in your mouth and slowly suck on it. When it becomes really soft you can chew it like a gum. Later you can swallow it if you want. Do this whenever needed.