What Is Nausea?
There are many types of conditions which are related to medicine and physiology of a human body. When something stops functioning the way it should, then certain changes take place. At times they fall under the category of disease and other times it is known to be a condition. Likewise, nausea is a condition and not disease.
Nausea is a combination of dizziness, vomiting, heaviness in tummy, movement sickness or seasickness. However, there are other symptoms too but those are not too common. Nausea is also said to be an unpleasant feeling of uneasiness. There are many causes, symptoms, cures, home remedies and ways to prevent nausea. In this article you will have a complete guideline to nausea.
How common is Nausea?
Nausea is one of the most common conditions in females. From the time of ovulation to the last stages of pregnancy are common in females. Birth control pills are also the cause of nausea which again is common and nothing to worry about. Severity is usually the key point which makes it a common or uncommon kind of nausea. If there are signs and symptoms are not common in most of the cases of nausea, then it is not anything which will be treated without medications. Hence, nausea is common but in its own conditions.
Signs And Causes of Nausea:
Nausea is either prolonged which is associated with some trivial health issues or it short lived. Both the types have their own symptoms. Nausea can be related to some psychological disorders as well as physical. It is not always very difficult to find out the real cause of nausea.
Symptoms of Nausea:
- Common Symptoms:
- Psychological Symptoms:
- Trivial Symptoms:
1. Common Symptoms:
Nausea comes with the following common signs:
- Heaviness in tummy.
- Tummy aches.
- Feeling of lightheadedness
- First trimester of pregnancy.
2. Psychological Symptoms:
Nausea can be the cause of following psychological mental ailments:
- Numbness of mind.
- Emotional stress.
3. Trivial Symptoms:
Apart from common symptoms, there are always some trivial and serious symptoms.
- Stomach flu.
- Medications which induce nausea.
- Pains with severe headaches and nausea.
- Diseases related to gallbladder.
- Heart attack.
- Over eating.
- Allergy to odors; good or bad.
- Brain tumor.
- Any kind of cancer and its treatment can cause nausea.
- Inability to digest toxins and alcohol.
To treat any medical condition or disease, it is mandatory to diagnose it well. Until and unless nausea is not diagnosed the way it should, nothing can treat it well. If you have nausea because of pregnancy it is easy to treat it. You may do one or all of the things to reduce nausea:
- Drink enough water to keep you and the fetus hydrated.
- Keep a check on blood pressure. Have glucose or boiled egg in case of sinking heart and low blood pressure.
- Avoid junk food specially those which are tinned, frozen or are available in ready to eat packs.
- Try to have soft diet or be in liquids till the feeling of nausea subsides.
- Pedialyte is a solution for quick recovery of dehydration. It should be given if nausea persists for more than 24 hours.
- During pregnancy, crackers, candies, salt and any herb can be taken if nausea is faced early in the morning.
In conditions which are not too common, like being under treatment of cancer or any tumor are naturally different. They could be by giving suitable gaps or intervals in chemotherapy.
How To Get Rid Of Nausea:
Nausea can be prevented in number of ways. Out of many, some of the easiest ones are:
- Chew your bites properly.
- Don’t be hasty and quick in eating.
- Take smaller meals instead of basic three meals.
- Avoid nuts, cabbage and all those vegetables, fruits and foods which are not easy to digest.
- Hot foods usually make pregnant women nauseatic. Food should be brought to room temperature before its consumption.
- The best time to have food is when you are not or less nauseatic.
- Water should be taken between the gaps of meals instead during the meals.
- Rest after having meals.
- Sweetened fluids like, soda and fruit nectars are good to reduce feeling of nausea.
If nausea is found in children, following measures can be taken in order to heal the condition:
- Make the child sit on your lap facing towards the wind shield.
- Avoid giving permission to play while having food.
Home Remedies For Nausea:
Home remedies for nausea are:
Ginger is one of the ingredients which is found in almost every eastern house. It is considered to be the treatment and cure for many ailments. Since thousands of years people are using it to reduce nausea, headache, sea sickness and even diarrhea. How it can reduce nausea is simple. You can use it either by drinking or by adding it in your meals. For drinking, you have to bring a cup pf water to boil. Add a big chunk of ginger, 2 inches in the water. Drink it hot or lukewarm depending on your wish and need. If the aroma of ginger disturbs and makes you more nauseatic then you can bring it to room temperature.
Peppermint leaves soothing effect in a body once it is consumed the way it should. Making light salads in which peppermints are added generously can be the home remedy of nausea.
3. Aroma therapy:
Aroma therapy can help reduce the feeling of nausea. The best way to make use of aroma is to sit in bath tub with good warm water and few drops of essential oils, lavender or any good scented oil. Sit in there, enjoy the feel and think your nausea is going to be fine. Sit in tub daily, on alternative days, twice or thrice as needed.
Honey is a constant reliever. It is being used in old ages and even now. Mix honey with salt and lemon to make a citrusy sweet tangy flavored homemade drink. It subsides the feeling of nausea within seconds.