Nausea during pregnancy is known as morning sickness. Morning sickness is a misleading term as morning sickness can hit a person at any time whether day or night. It is the feeling of nausea difficult to describe and is often accompanied by vomiting.
Most of the pregnant women go through morning sickness. For some women, it goes on for the entire period of pregnancy and for most it occurs in the first trimester. 8 out of 10 women are likely to go through morning sickness. This does not require treatment normally but can be controlled by home remedies like sipping ginger ale or snacking the whole day.
Many elements that stimulate morning sickness may include fatigue, particular odors, anxiety, mineral or vitamin deficiency, and certain foods.
Morning sickness is nothing abnormal. You don’t have to worry. It can be cured with natural and simple remedies.
Here are the top 10 Home Remedies for Morning Sickness.
Lemon has a naturally calming effect which helps to minimize nausea. It will calm you by calming your stomach. Biting a freshly cut lemon could also help.
- Combine one teaspoon of mint juice, one teaspoon of ginger juice, one tablespoon of honey and one teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Keep an intake of this mixture 2 to 3 times each day.
- Combine one teaspoon of mint, some sugar and one teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Have this thrice a day
- In a glass of water squeeze fresh lemon.
- Drinking it every morning can keep the nausea away.
- The murky feeling of nausea can be cut down by the smell of citrus.
- Inhale and exhale fully.
- You could also chew on a candy of lemon flavor.
Ginger had been used since centuries to nausea and even sea sickness. Ginger also calms the stomach and assists in digestion. Ginger will stop nausea in its tracks whether it is in the form of tea, ginger ale or raw. Different digestive juices and enzymes are stimulated by ginger and their secretion is promoted. Phenols in ginger calm down the muscles in the stomach and act as a sedative for irritated stomach tissue. Furthermore, phenols help the toxins and digested food to pass out quickly. Chewing a ginger candy or sucking a small piece of ginger can instantly relieve you from nausea symptoms.
- In one teaspoon of honey add 5 to 6 drops of ginger juice.
- Slowly drink this mixture as soon as you wake up early in the morning.
- Add some grated ginger in water and boil it till the level of water reduces to half.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Now add honey.
- Drink it every day in the morning to get rid of morning sickness.
- Prepare Ginger tea by mixing one-half teaspoon of powdered ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- You can leave it for 10 minutes
- Strain it
- Slowly, sip the tea.
Note: drinking this tea more than 3 times a day is not advisable for pregnant women.
3. Curry Leaves
Vomiting and nausea due to morning sickness can be prevented by mixing lime juice, sugar and Juice extracted from curry leaves. This has been taken as an herbal medicine since a long time.
- Take a sieve and press 20 to 25 curry leaves in order to extract its juice
- Further add one teaspoon of sugar or honey and 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice.
- Consume either twice or thrice a day.
The fresh scent of peppermint is such that it can easily tame an irritated stomach. Peppermint consists of anesthetic property which reduces nausea by calming down the stomach. Either in the form of oil or tea, it serves as a perfect natural remedy. Chewing Peppermint candies can be a good too.
- Peppermint tea can be prepared by adding one tablespoon of peppermint leaves to a cup of boiling water.
- Strain it
- If you want you can add honey or some sugar.
- Sip the tea slowly.
- Drop few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton swab or a piece of cloth.
- Fully inhale the smell.
- You can also rub pepper mint oil on gums for quick relief.
Fennel seeds are great for soothing the stomach. The anesthetic quality of fennel seed is great for fighting nausea. After a meal, take one teaspoon of fennel seed and chew on it. It facilitates digestion.
- Fennel tea can be prepared by boiling water and adding crushed fennel seeds.
- Strain it
- Pour in one teaspoon of honey and few drops of fresh lemon juice.
Taking a high amount of protein during pregnancy keeps a check on glucose level in blood. According to a study, symptoms of morning sickness are minimized by protein-rich food particularly when carbohydrates are being craved for.
If you get the feeling that if you eat anything you will probably vomit, then cheese is a good choice. You can try different kinds of cheese like mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese or cottage cheese. For lunch or dinner, you can also prepare a cheese salad using fresh vegetables and fruits. It is advisable to take a high-protein snack before you sleep.
7. Bael Juice
Bael fruit also known as wood apple provides great assistance in finding relief from morning sickness. Its juice is full of health benefits facilitating digestion.
- Take out juice from a Bael fruit.
- Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of this juice in cooked rice.
- Consume this thrice a day daily if the symptoms are severe and if the symptoms are mild once a day will do the trick.
The feeling of nausea can be prevented by crackers since they go easy on the stomach. During the first few months of pregnancy, it will be good to being the day with one or two crackers. You can eat crackers on and off the entire day and don’t forget to at least eat one before sleeping.
9. Potato Chips
If you are a pregnant woman you can eat potato chips without feeling any kind of burden in your heart. Snacking on potato chips will calm down your irritated stomach.
Over-production of saliva caused by potato chips alleviates nausea. The drying up of saliva occurs due to the salt that is there in the potato chips. It is recommended that you should not eat potato chips too much. Whenever needed nibble on some chips. You can go for fat-free chips if you are really health conscious.
Pregnant women should keep themselves well hydrate because a dehydrated body can be a reason for morning sickness as well.
- Drinking a glass of water every hour reduces the chances of morning sickness for pregnant women. It is advisable to drink at least 10 glasses of water every day.
- If you are not the type of person who drinks water regularly, you can take vegetables and fruits with a high content of water like apples, tomatoes, carrots, melons, pears, oranges, grapes and celery. To keep your body hydrated, you can also keep an intake of frozen fruit bars.
Note: if vomiting is severe, take the consultancy of a doctor instantly because severe vomiting can result in weight loss and dehydration which is not a good sign for women who are pregnant.