Burns, typically known for a compulsion towards heat or anything which may cause heat reaction to any part of the body. There are three degrees of burn; first, second and third degree burn. Each degree has its own potency of dealing with the skin. Minor burns are more associated to unintentional spilling of hot beverages, blisters and boils connected to burns.
Infants and toddlers are more prone to these minor burns. Their soft and sensitive skin cannot bear heat compression and may cause further issues related to burns. However, these minor burns can be prevented by not keeping hot water, electrical appliances which may catch fire to burn children and can be treated at home with the help of some home remedies. Nevertheless, it is not feasible or advised to ignore the factor of consulting a doctor. When it comes to treating minor burns at home, it becomes justified.
Steam, while giving bath can be one of the most outstanding and legit cause of minor burns. Besides this, touching hot objects directly can also be the reason. Third and most risky minor burns are caused by electricity. Even sun burn is also added in the list of minor reasons of burns.
In this article, you will read about different hone remedies which will not only help you to minimize its effect but also pave way to make it more bearable. Those home remedies include; use of honey, tea tree essential oil, cold water compression and etc.
1. Cold Water
Water is one of the most natural substance which helps in treating many seen and unnoticed health issues. Likewise, when you or your kid has a minor burn due to any reason, try to fix it with this quick and easy tip.
- Locate the area which is burnt.
- Place it under flowing tap water.
- Wrap few ice cubes in a clean cloth.
- Hold it tightly from where it is not tied or simply tie it with a band.
- Place it on the burn.
- Let it remain there for five minutes or till the coldness wears off.
- Repeat it thrice or even four times in a day.
P.S: Applying ice directly can result to an internal damage to weak tissues.
2. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
Crushed coconut or oil extracted from it can subside effects of minor burn. Lemon also functions in the same way. Potential elements and nutrients are found in coconut which helps in treating slight burns. Those elements include; anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, antioxidant and meristic acid. Whereas, lemon juice can help in reducing burns of first degree by its acidic qualities. These characteristics help in alleviating scars.
- In a bowl, add one tablespoon of crushed coconut.
- In the same bowl, include a teaspoon of lemon juice. (It is better to squeeze a fresh lime instead of that which is readily available in the market).
- Mix these ingredient together.
- When it will form a paste, apply it on the affected area.
- Clean and dry it after 10 minutes.
- Apply quarter teaspoon of lemon juice in a cotton ball.
- Also add few drops of coconut oil.
- Massage or simply apply it on the area which is burnt.
- Repetition works! Use it 3 or 4 times in a day.
Wounds and minor burns are said to be reduced with the help of honey. Organic honey have better and more efficiency as compared to those which are synthetically produced. Honey is one of those substances which have anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiseptic and most importantly antibacterial properties. It is as good as for any other health condition.
- The best and effective way is to take some honey on the tip of index finger.
- Spread and slightly with soft hands massage on the burnt area.
- Take a piece of small cloth.
- Dip cotton ball in to honey.
- Put that cotton on the cloth.
- Wrap the cloth facing honey on the affected area.
- Let it remain there for hours.
- While sleeping, remove it only if you feel agitated.
- Do it on a regular basis.
- If burn starts itching and pain doesn’t reduce, consult your nearest or family doctor.
4. Onion Juice
Natural elements, fruits and vegetables are found in abundance with those qualities which are scare in accordance to fake medications. Onion, being one of the best agent to assist in reducing pain and healing burns works best in this medical condition. They also slower down and at times completely wears off the probability of blistering.
- One simple trick or home remedy is to cut onion in half.
- Squash it till its juice is extracted.
- Slightly rub on this extract of onion on the burnt zone.
- Applying it twice or thrice will do the needful.
- Remove juice from onion in a container in which you can dip the affected area.
- Dip the part which is burnt for a second.
- Remove it immediately from the container.
- Allow it to dry.
- Once dried, wash it with clean water and dry it again.
- Repeat only twice in a day.
P.S: it will give slight irritation and burning factor will increase for a very short time. If it burns a lot, remove it with water.
5. Black Tea Bags
Black tea has competency to bring relief to recede pain in trivial burns. The question like always arises how? It is because of the fact that it contains tannic acid which takes out heat from the area burnt, resulting in reduction of pain.
- Heat a cup of water.
- Add in two tea bags of tea.
- Let the teabags seep in warm water for ten minutes.
- Immerse cloth which is clean in the water.
- Apply it on the burnt part of the body.
- Repeat it four to five times to avoid blisters and pain.
- Instead of using tea itself, you can consume teabags which are soaked in water to make tea.
- Once tea is made, take out teabags.
- Apply them on burns after they become cool.
6. Apple cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar or simply synthesized one can also help in getting rid of pain, irritation and itchiness on minor burns. It is indeed one component which has sharp effect along with soothing one.
- Take out one tablespoon of ACV (apple cider vinegar) or synthesized in a small container.
- Also take equal amount of water which is one tablespoon, add in the bowl.
- Dilute it well.
- Rinse the effected portion of the body with this mixture.
- Rinse the portion which is burnt with the solution of vinegar and water.
- Wrap a cloth around it.
- Change the bandage after every two hours.
- You must rinse burnt area before applying another bandage.
- Repeat it 5 times in a day.
7. Plantain Leaves
First of all we need to know what plantain leaves are. Are these herbs or just plants with some qualities to heal minor burns? Well, plantain leaves are herbs, mostly known and taken as weed. It has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory characteristics. These traits help in assisting burns of first or minor degree.
- Firstly, take some plantain leaves and wash them nicely.
- Then, grind them to form paste by adding little quantity of water.
- Now take a piece of spotless and hygienic cloth.
- Spread the paste on the cloth.
- Wear it like a bandage over the burnt portion of the body.
- Once the paste it dried, repeat the process.
- It is better to do it 4 times in a day; morning, afternoon, evening and night.
8. Lavender Essential Oil
Essential oils have a deep rooted history. They are meant to cure health issues and also keep the house full of sweet and fresh aroma. Likewise, lavender essential oil is one of the major helps in curing health conditions. They include; minor burns, skin problems and even for better sleep. People of different ethnic values and backgrounds tend to believe its versatility.
- Open your left palm and drop lavender essential oil.
- Make sure that you don’t drop too much of oil as it has very strong smell.
- Apply it on burns.
- Let it remain there for quite some time.
- Wash if it irritates you, otherwise let it be there.
- Repeat it thrice in a day.
9. Raw Potato
Staple vegetable like that of potatoes are rich in formulating soothing and relaxing effects. Its non-irritating factor helps in getting slight burns go away with time. Despite the fact it is just a veggie, it retains potentials of eliminating pain as well as lessening the percentage of developing blisters.
- Pick a fresh farm potato.
- Wash and dry.
- Cut it into circular shapes, more like slices.
- Fresh potatoes are mostly juicy.
- Rub the slices with soft hand on the burns.
- Make sure that potato slices release its juice onto the burnt area.
- Repeat it according to the need. However, it is recommended to be used thrice in twenty-four hours.
- Peel a potato.
- Grind it in a food processor.
- Apply it directly on the burnt area of the body.
- Wash or rinse it after twenty minutes.
P.S: If you want quick and speedy recovery from minor burns, it is endorsed to apply it soon after getting burnt.
10. Aloe Vera
Soothing, antibacterial, acerbic and healing properties are combined perfectly well and naturally in aloe vera. It is good for many health conditions including minor burns.
- Pick a leaf of aloe vera. In fact you have to cut it because these leaves are quite hard and not easily picked with bare hands.
- Scoop out its substance which is more like a gel.
- Don’t put it in a container. Instead, apply it directly on the burn.
- Sudden feel of relief will bounce in.
- Let it remain there for several minutes and then wash it with water.
- This tip requires a bit of preparation. Here is what needs to be done:
- Scoop out one teaspoon of aloe vera.
- Add one fourth teaspoon of turmeric powder in it.
- Mix well.
- Apply on the burnt area.
- Wash after 20 minutes or once it is dried.
- Apply aloe vera cream three to four times daily.
If someone asks you about salt, that which potentials it holds, what would be your answer? You might be surprised that this one element can hold so many advantages. It doesn’t only has healing qualities but also some antimicrobial properties which works against burns. If you don’t have any other ingredient at home and want to cure a minor burn, you must rely on this quick home remedy.
- Pour filtered, distilled or boiled water in a glass.
- Now, put one teaspoon of salt in it.
- Rinse burn with this soluble solution.
- Don’t dry it off. Let it take its own time to dry.
- Apply it as much as possible.
Minor burn can also be treated by this home remedy. In this one, milk is used as a major ingredient. But why do we have to use it? It is because, it keeps burns a bit cool, relieves the pain and also helps in settling burning effect on the affected are.
- Refrigerate milk for about three hours. Let it get cool.
- Now take a cloth, cotton would be better though, dip it in the cold milk.
- Apply this cold compressed cloth or cotton ball on the area burnt.
- Repeat it once after every two hours.
The tricks and home remedies not only save us from going to hospital but also rely on natural means of treatments. However, if you don’t see any change or the situation starts getting worst, it is better to seek help from a professional doctor.