Kidney stones now seem to be a very common health issue mostly affecting people who are 30 to 40 year old. It is more common among men than women. The Kidney is a very important organ for each of us helping to filter impurities and detoxify blood. Kidney stones can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.
When the kidney cannot process toxins properly, the kidney tends to form kidney stones. The reason kidney stones occur is due to mineral imbalance, gout, an improper diet and excessive consumption of vitamin D. High levels of uric acid, phosphorus, oxalic acid, sodium, calcium and other different crystal-forming substances in urine result in stone formation. These substances form a chemical bonding making up stones. At times if you are lucky enough, the kidney stones are really small and can be passed out in the urine without having to encounter any kind of symptoms. At other times, kidney stones become so big that they block the tube called urethra which causes the urine to move out from the kidneys and into the bladder. This results in a lot of pain, nausea, excessive sweating, frequent urge to urinate and other things.
Are you someone who has gone through the whole experience of kidney stones or know somebody who has? If yes, then you should definitely carry on reading this article. If not, they say prevention is better than cure.
The good news is that majority of kidney stone cases are treatable through natural remedies. Among other home remedies, here are the top 10 home remedies to minimize the discomfort kidney stones cause and to also help you get rid of them.
1. Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
A blend of olive oil and lemon juice might not be appropriate for people who have large stones, but the ones who have smaller kidney stones can definitely try a blend of olive oil and lemon juice. The citric acid in lemon aids in breaking the stone and passing it out. This will also give you relief from symptoms like abdominal pain. Here is how you can do it:
- Combine 1/4th cup of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Consume the concoction and make sure drink a minimum of 8 ounces of water later on.
- Repeat it thrice a day for 3 days. If you flush out the stones in a single dose, do not repeat the intake.
P.S: Consult a doctor before you try this remedy and be careful of using ingredients even an inch below high quality because that way you are taking the risk of allowing substances like HFCS or sucrose to enter your body.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar serves as a real remedy for a large number of health problems in which kidney stone is also included. It is no wonder you will find it in 10 Miracle Natural Ingredients That Should Be In Every Home. Apple cider vinegar not only helps to break the nasty stones apart and passing them out but they also stop them from occurring in the future. You can prepare the tonic by:
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon of honey in it.
- Consume it thrice a day to reap all its benefits. Take it first thing in the morning, mid-day and in the evening.
P.S: if you don’t have honey, you can also use another natural sweetener known as Stevia powder.
Pomegranate is immensely beneficial for health. To be more specific, the juice and the seeds are both considered as a natural remedy for getting rid of kidney stones. This is due to its caustic and acerbic traits. What’s more is that it is rich in antioxidants that will keep your body protected from the harmful free radicals. In fact, there is a study that indicates pomegranate juice keeps you away from different kinds of kidney stones.
- It is highly recommended that you consume pomegranate juice squeezed freshly instead of the processed ones.
- Eat one pomegranate or add it to a fruit salad.
- You can also grind one tablespoon of pomegranate seeds to make a paste. Eat this paste with a soup of your choice. It will assist in dissolving the stones.
4. Nettle Leaf Tea
Nettle leaf is commonly used to alleviate seasonal allergy symptoms and joint support. However, it also acts as a strong diuretic with antibacterial qualities. Nettle leaf tea a day keeps toxins and minerals away from the kidney. It discourages the formation of new kidney stones and stops the growth of the ones that are there. It also aids in keeping urinary tract infections at bay which is yet another cause of kidney stones.
- Take a cup of hot water and add two teaspoons of dried nettle leaf.
- Let it be for 10 minutes before straining it.
- Consuming 2 to 3 cups of nettle leaf tea a day for several weeks is recommended.
Basil is considered to be a kidney tonifier which is why you can keep an intake of basil tea throughout the day for the overall well-being of kidney. If you happen to have kidney stones, then it is recommended you take one teaspoon of basil juice with raw honey for a time period of six months. It aids in flushing out the stones from the urinary tract.
- Combine one teaspoon of honey and basil juice.
- Consuming it for 5 to 6 months can be very effective.
- You can also consume pure basil juice if you don’t like honey’s taste or chew on 2 to 3 basil leaves every day.
- Prepare basil tea by adding 5 to 6 basil leaves in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Strain it.
- Add some honey to it and mix well.
- Consume it when it is cool.
Compared to other vegetables, watermelon is rich in potassium salts. It is excellent for the health of the kidney. It keeps the acid level in urine under control. In addition to this, it contains good amount of water which assists in hydration. Nutritionists and doctors have been recommending it since a long time because it is the best diuretic there is and can be easily used as a natural remedy for kidney stones.
Regular intake of watermelon or its juice can not only treat kidney stones but also prevent them. Intake of watermelon seed tea is equally effective.
7. Wheat grass
Another highly effective way to treat kidney stones and kidney related a disease is wheat grass juice. Consuming wheat grass juice means you are welcoming potassium, magnesium, chlorophyll, B vitamins, iron and amino acids into your body.
Another way of consuming the wheat grass juice is by adding one teaspoon of juice of basil leaves and lemon juice to it. It is recommended to take it 3 times a day.
8. Fiber rich diet
Whole grain rich diets and vegetable protein sources are considered to be invaluable sources of insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber prevents both the formation of new kidney stones and stopping the growth of ones that already exist. The calcium in urine is reduced because of the insoluble fiber as it binds with the intestine. Eventually, calcium is passed out through stool which means there isn’t much calcium for crystalizing in the kidney.
Therefore when suffering from kidney stones, having an intake of fiber-rich food is important. Some sources of fiber include legumes, fruits, green vegetables, and whole grains. Bran flakes are a great source of fiber as one bowl of bran flakes give you 8 mg of fiber. Thereby, reducing chances of kidney stones. Whole grain foods like bread also do the same since they are a good source of protein, fiber, magnesium and other nutrients. Particularly magnesium aids in preventing crystallization in the kidney which results in the formation of larger stones. Consuming 2 to 3 slices of whole wheat bread in a day is recommended.
P.S: although a lot of vegetables and fruits are a great source of fiber, be careful because they might also contain high amount of oxalate which is one of the main causes of kidney stones. Refer to this article regarding high oxalate foods.
9. Kidney Beans
Kidney beans are named so because of their similarity with the color and shape of organs with the same name. They happen to be good for flushing out stones. Traditionally pods used to be utilized as a medicinal tonic. Kidney beans are rich in fiber and contain B vitamins, mineral and non-animal proteins that help to keep the health of kidney well and improve urinary tracts.
- To reap benefits from kidney beans all you have to do is cook them in water (Don’t do so in meat broth or salt). Let the water simmer on low flame for few hours till they become tender and good enough for you to eat them. Strain the water. Allow it to cool. Strain it again. Drink this bean broth which will help in dissolving and flushing away the stones.
- You can also consume this bean broth throughout the day for the alleviation of kidney stone pain.
- You can eat the delicious beans afterwards for the general wellbeing of your kidneys. Kidney beans can be taken with soups and salads as well.
P.S: Don’t drink the bean broth after 24 hours since it starts losing its therapeutic qualities. In case this remedy does not work for you, you should go to the doctor.
Consumption of celery or vegetal seeds helps to deter the formation of kidney stones and minimize the symptoms associated with kidney stones. Raw celery juice is an excellent diuretic. Therefore, it causes the volume of urine to increase and get rid of stones. Celery juice is also responsible for getting rid of toxins that cause kidney stones to form. Due to the anti-spasmodic qualities it contains it helps to alleviate pain as well.
- Make herbal tea with celery seeds. It prevents kidney stones that are formed because of accumulation of uric acid.
- Drink one glass of celery juice every day to stop further stones from forming.