Bronchitis is a respiratory disease which causes infection, swelling and inflammation in bronchial tubes that are present between the lungs and nose. The main cause of bronchitis is bacteria, particles or virus which upsets the bronchial tubes (air tubes). Other causes include smoking, pollution, cough and cold, allergy, fog or dusty air, changes in the atmosphere, and infections.
Some of the symptoms of bronchitis consist of difficult breathing, nasal congestion, chest pain or tightening of chest, burning or aching pain just beneath the breastbone, sputum production, cough with mucus (greenish or yellowish), coughing up phlegm, rattling sensation in the lungs and chest fever, muscle aches, shortness of breath, fatigue, and chest pain. Bronchitis is also an indicator of a weak immune system.
There are 2 kinds of bronchitis: chronic and acute. The time period for chronic bronchitis is 3 months to 2 years. On the contrary, the time period of acute bronchitis is from 1 to 3 weeks. When suffering from bronchitis, what is required is to make the phlegm thin in the chest and help it to move so that it can be coughed up and out.
Here are the top 10 natural home remedies for bronchitis.
Ginger has been commonly used to treat common cold and is very effective for bronchitis as well. Ginger contains inherent anti-inflammatory and immune building qualities which are really good for giving relief to inflamed, swollen and irritated bronchial tracts. Some of the ways in which ginger can be effectively consumed are:
- Combine cinnamon, cloves and ground ginger in a cup of hot water. Mix well.
- Consume this mixture for some days to find relief.
- Combine one teaspoon of black pepper and one teaspoon of ginger powder in boiling water to prepare herbal tea which provides instant relief.
- Pour in some honey and mix well before drinking
- Drink two times daily to get good results.
- The combination of one teaspoon each of cloves, pepper and ginger powder is also effective.
- Add some amount of this mixture either in milk or honey.
- Have it three times every day to get relief.
Garlic contains a compound called Allicin which provides garlic with strong antiviral and antibacterial qualities. Garlic is particularly effective for acute bronchitis.
- You need 3 fresh garlic cloves
- Properly peel it and chop it.
- Put the chopped pieces in a glass of milk and let it boil.
- Allow the milk to boil for some time.
- Before going to sleep, drink it warm.
- Finely chop some fresh garlic.
- Add it to honey.
- Swallow the mixture without chewing.
- It is recommended to consume it 2 times every day till you get rid of the symptoms.
The anti-inflammatory quality of turmeric is effective for curing the cough caused by bronchitis. Turmeric flushes out excessive mucous providing relief. Turmeric has inherent antiseptic and analgesic qualities that make it a natural healer especially for bronchitis. It combats bacteria and viruses that make the immunes system weak. The most active ingredient of turmeric is Curcumin which works wonders in bronchitis. It soothes inflammation and reduces the chest pain. It soothes and calms the irritated bronchial tract, congested air passage and rattling lungs.
- Take a glass of milk and mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. Mix it well.
- Boil the mixture for some time.
- Consume it twice or thrice a day on an empty stomach for quicker results.
Note: this remedy is not recommended for people suffering from hyperacidity, obstructive jaundice, stomach ulcers and gall bladder stones.
4. Eucalyptus Oil
Using eucalyptus oil in steam therapy is a highly effective remedy for bronchitis. Eucalyptus oil makes the mucus present in the blocked airways soft. It also has the inherent antibacterial quality which fastens healing of inflamed throat and burning sensation. Moreover, the presence of cineole in eucalyptus makes it a strong antiseptic. Eucalyptus oil can be rubbed on the chest directly as well. This provides assistance in improving the function of respiratory system and helps in expelling mucus.
- Pour in few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water.
- Use a towel to cover your head to facilitate inhaling of steam.
5. Salt Water
Salt water has the power to pass through irritation causing mucous in the bronchial tracts. Secondly, it gives a soothing effect to the throat that is immensely irritated.
All you have to do is add a little salt to a cup of warm water. Then gargle with the mixture. Gargling with salt water helps to minimize the symptoms of bronchitis. Gargle at least 3 to 4 times a day or whenever you feel the need to.
Using the right quantity of salt is extremely important because excessive salt can stimulate burning sensation in the throat. On the contrary, using really less amount of salt will not be fruitful.
Honey is really effective for dealing with cough caused by bronchitis. Raw honey consists of mineral, antioxidants, enzymes and essential vitamins required to make your body healthy again. Both the antibacterial and antiviral properties of honey immensely soothe the irritated throat. Furthermore, it also strengthens the immune system, eliminates the allergies, and relieves inflammation caused by bronchitis. Some of the different ways in which honey can be consumed are:
- In a regular cup of tea, add one teaspoon of honey. This is one of the most effective remedies.
- Combine fresh ginger paste, powder of 2 cloves, a pinch of black pepper and half teaspoon honey. Consuming this mixture will drive away the burning sensation.
- Add few drops of fresh lemon in warm water. Mix one teaspoon of honey in and stir well. This helps to cure throat inflammation and congestion.
- Cover slice of onion in a bowl with honey. Let it remain like that for a day. Take away the onion slices and consume one teaspoon of honey 3 to 4 times every day to get some relief immediately.
- Combine raw honey and cinnamon to produce a powerful allergy treatment as well as an anti-inflammatory mixture. This mixture will offer good resistance to your body building the immune system. It will also stand as a shield for future flu or cold viruses.
Onion contains inherent antiviral and antibacterial qualities which soothe soreness and inflammation of the throat. Onion consists of phlegm eliminating agent which eases the symptoms of bronchitis. The most active ingredient in onion is flavonoid which subside the pain that occurs because of bronchitis. Raw onion can be easily used in cooking or in a salad. Mixing chopped organic onion with honey is also very effective. Instead of chewing this mixture, swallow it and consume 2 times a day. Yet another way of using onion is:
- Cut few pieces of onion.
- Blend it in a blender to extract its juice.
- Consume on an empty stomach. Taking one teaspoon of this raw onion juice in the morning is recommended.
8. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is particularly effective for acute bronchitis. Epsom salt bath is really beneficial for bronchitis patients.
- In warm water prepared for bath, add one and a half kilogram (2 to 3 pounds) of Epsom salt.
- Every night, soak yourself in it for 30 minutes before going to sleep when it completely dissolves.
Note: if you are a patient of chronic bronchitis repeat this twice a day and for acute bronchitis 30 minutes before sleep is enough.
9. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds consist of natural a medicinal quality which is highly effective for treating bronchitis. It aids in providing relief from chest pain. You can simply mix the sesame seed powder with 2 tablespoons of plain water and have it every day. Another way of consuming sesame seeds in an effective manner is:
- Combine honey, linseed and sesame seeds. Mix properly.
- Add a pinch of common salt.
- After properly mixing it, have this mixture every day before you go to sleep.
When suffering from bronchitis, never let your body become dehydrated. Keeping it well hydrated. The daily intake of water should be at least 10 glasses.
You can also take in fruit and vegetable juices or fruits and vegetables with high water content. Another of making sure that your body remains hydrated is by mixing few drops of lemon and some honey in a glass of water. Mix it properly and consume it early in the morning.
Stop consuming drinks that contain alcohol or caffeine because they eventually cause loss of fluid and make it difficult to drive away mucus.